• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Higher Grocery Bills

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I wonder how much of the price increases are legit and how many are a result of opportunism? Somehow, Wall Street keeps increasing in value while Main Street suffers.

Shoppers had better start budgeting more for their groceries, according to the latest consumer price index, which shows prices are increasing — and they're likely to keep going up.

Economists say costs from rising gas prices, a spike in commodity prices, increased imports by China, heavy Midwest crop damage and other factors are all getting passed on to retail consumers.

The White House said Monday that it expects inflation to go up — and not go back down.

I've actually been shopping online w/ Whole Foods on Amazon and my bill has been lower than what it was when I shopped in person at Kroger owned chain before COVID...

Prices have been going up, but there are problems with the government admitting that inflation is actually going on.
even a modest increase in interest rates, would cost the government a big pile of money, because of the size of the deficit.

I've actually been shopping online w/ Whole Foods on Amazon and my bill has been lower than what it was when I shopped in person at Kroger owned chain before COVID...
This likely because the Grocery store is designed to get you to spend more.
There is a reason the stuff most people need is in the back of the store,
people pick up stuff as they move to location of what they came for.
online the link is somewhat broken, and we tend to get only what we need.

I wonder how much of the price increases are legit and how many are a result of opportunism? Somehow, Wall Street keeps increasing in value while Main Street suffers.

Shoppers had better start budgeting more for their groceries, according to the latest consumer price index, which shows prices are increasing — and they're likely to keep going up.

Economists say costs from rising gas prices, a spike in commodity prices, increased imports by China, heavy Midwest crop damage and other factors are all getting passed on to retail consumers.

The White House said Monday that it expects inflation to go up — and not go back down.
I buy organic. My grocery prices have been through the roof for ten years.

I buy organic. My grocery prices have been through the roof for ten years.

Mine, personally, has increased 30%. I can't afford to go all organic but do try and eat healthily. A 32oz bottle of Pomegranate juice is $8, and a 1lb NY-Strip steak is $14.

I am a bit Gemini on grocery prices. I always look for the sales, checking the flyers, buying the tagged meats. On the other hand when I want what I want I don't even check the price. However, I have noticed a real spike in our grocery bills. Meat seems to have really skyrocketed. I'm guessing Covid is impacting the food chain either by productivity loss due to the hit on staff and covid protocols or delays in the distribution channels due to border closures.

We are lucky in that we can absorb it but for many in these times it must be very difficult. DH is such a sweetie, if he sees someone in the line behind us he thinks may be having a tougher time, in our small town they aren't hard to spot, he will give the cashier a $20 bill towards their groceries and then leave without saying any thing. He would be annoyed I mentioned this so....shhhhh!

It's simple. Supply chains are still ****ed.

It's neither legit nor opportunism. It's the result of a predetermined plan.

Here is your explanation: https://theconservativetreehouse.co...-1-in-one-month-year-over-year-inflation-2-6/

I listened to an interesting interview (sorry can't remember name) who said that the inflation we are currently experiencing is more related to supply issues and that the structural issues that we always believed caused inflation are still not a worry. I hope he's right.

I listened to an interesting interview (sorry can't remember name) who said that the inflation we are currently experiencing is more related to supply issues and that the structural issues that we always believed caused inflation are still not a worry. I hope he's right.

I believe part of it is supply issues but the rest is money printing by the Fed and gov spending.

This likely because the Grocery store is designed to get you to spend more.
There is a reason the stuff most people need is in the back of the store,
people pick up stuff as they move to location of what they came for.
online the link is somewhat broken, and we tend to get only what we need.
Oh yeah, it curbs your impulse buying tremendously...

Inflation is not spread equally across all goods and services. Food and fuel are volatile. Many other categories are not.

I believe part of it is supply issues but the rest is money printing by the Fed and gov spending.
You would think so. Why wasn't there inflation 4 years ago?

It's simple. Supply chains are still ****ed.

You mean that barely-regulated capitalism can't optimize the supply chain? Say it ain't so! ;)

You mean that barely-regulated capitalism can't optimize the supply chain? Say it ain't so! ;)

I can't imagine what sort of regulations would have kept the supply chain intact during a pandemic like this with all the attendant restrictions, at least not without failing all sane cost/benefit analyses.

Maybe some more attention should be paid to essentials, but this was the first time we were hit with this kind of pandemic since the Spanish Flu. Doesn't make sense to prepare everything against 100-year events..

For example, there's no reason to make sure the lifting weights supply chain remains intact (I say that because if you want a pair of measly 5lb plates.....that'll run you $40. Eight, ten times pre-pandemic prices).

I can't imagine what sort of regulations would have kept the supply chain intact during a pandemic like this with all the attendant restrictions, at least not without failing all sane cost/benefit analyses.

Maybe some more attention should be paid to essentials, but this was the first time we were hit with this kind of pandemic since the Spanish Flu. Doesn't make sense to prepare everything against

For example, there's no reason to make sure the lifting weights supply chain remains intact (I say that because if you want a pair of measly 5lb plates.....that'll run you $40. Eight, ten times pre-pandemic prices)

Fair points.

Supply chain regulations shouldn't force businesses to prepare for every single worst-case scenario, but they should make them buffer the shocks wherever possible. One low-hanging fruit is the "just-in-time" supply chain model, which involves reducing average warehousing space and thus, anticipated costs. But this makes the supply chain much more vulnerable to shocks.

This could be easily remedied by requiring large companies to maintain a minimum level of non-perishable inventory, sort of like we do for the strategic oil reserve. That way there would be a buffer in place any time there is a sudden shock to the supply chain.

(Yes, nitpicks (not you, Mr. Person), I know that the strategic reserve isn't the same thing. It's called an analogy.)

Back
Top Bottom