• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High-tech carts will tell on Cleveland residents who don't recycle ... and they face

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This is why its just as important to vote in local elections. You would expect to hear about this kind of nonsense happening in the UK not in the US.

High-tech carts will tell on Cleveland residents who don't recycle ... and they face $100 fine | cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It would be a stretch to say that Big Brother will hang out in Clevelanders' trash cans, but the city plans to sort through curbside trash to make sure residents are recycling -- and fine them $100 if they don't.

The move is part of a high-tech collection system the city will roll out next year with new trash and recycling carts embedded with radio frequency identification chips and bar codes.

The chips will allow city workers to monitor how often residents roll carts to the curb for collection. If a chip show a recyclable cart hasn't been brought to the curb in weeks, a trash supervisor will sort through the trash for recyclables.

Trash carts containing more than 10 percent recyclable material could lead to a $100 fine, according to Waste Collection Commissioner Ronnie Owens. Recyclables include glass, metal cans, plastic bottles, paper and cardboard.

City Council on Wednesday approved spending $2.5 million on high-tech carts for 25,000 households across the city, expanding a pilot program that began in 2007 with 15,000 households.

The expansion will continue at 25,000 households a year until nearly all of the city's 150,000 residences are included. Existing carts might be retrofitted with the microchips.

"We're trying to automate our system to be a more efficient operation," Owens said. "This chip will assist us in doing our job better."

Last edited:
Re: High-tech carts will tell on Cleveland residents who don't recycle ... and they f

i'd just disable the chip. :shrug:

Re: High-tech carts will tell on Cleveland residents who don't recycle ... and they f

i'd just disable the chip. :shrug:

Wouldn't the city figure out something was wrong if the chip stopped working and do you actually know how to do something like that?

Wouldn't the city figure out something was wrong if the chip stopped working and do you actually know how to do something like that?

to disable the chip, just find where it is in the bin, and run electricity from a car battery through it, should short circuit it, and plead ignorance.

I think you guys are missing the point. Just because right now the chips could be accessed and disabled is no reason to let officials do this.

If you disable the chip, you're not letting them do anything.

If you disable the chip, you're not letting them do anything.

And what if next year or a couple years from now they come out with a new model which would require some tampering that would leave physical evidence that someone tampered with the chip? Perceived government incompetence is no reason to let them spy on citizens or their garbage. Something like this could also be used as a stepping stone towards something more intrusive. The point is the government should never be allowed to something like this.

Last edited:

Well, then, I guess you shouldn't pay the city to take your garbage.

You lose any and all legitimate claims to privacy with respect to your garbage the minute you hand that garbage to a government worker.

This is why its just as important to vote in local elections. You would expect to hear about this kind of nonsense happening in the UK not in the US.

High-tech carts will tell on Cleveland residents who don't recycle ... and they face $100 fine | cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It would be a stretch to say that Big Brother will hang out in Clevelanders' trash cans, but the city plans to sort through curbside trash to make sure residents are recycling -- and fine them $100 if they don't.

The move is part of a high-tech collection system the city will roll out next year with new trash and recycling carts embedded with radio frequency identification chips and bar codes.

The chips will allow city workers to monitor how often residents roll carts to the curb for collection. If a chip show a recyclable cart hasn't been brought to the curb in weeks, a trash supervisor will sort through the trash for recyclables.

Trash carts containing more than 10 percent recyclable material could lead to a $100 fine, according to Waste Collection Commissioner Ronnie Owens. Recyclables include glass, metal cans, plastic bottles, paper and cardboard.

City Council on Wednesday approved spending $2.5 million on high-tech carts for 25,000 households across the city, expanding a pilot program that began in 2007 with 15,000 households.

The expansion will continue at 25,000 households a year until nearly all of the city's 150,000 residences are included. Existing carts might be retrofitted with the microchips.

"We're trying to automate our system to be a more efficient operation," Owens said. "This chip will assist us in doing our job better."

This is modern liberalism.

How come posters are trying to disable the chips? I think they're great. It should be compulsory to recycle and those who don't do it should be fined.

Lmao, I would just clone the chip/barcode and just pop it on my regular trash bin, I'm sure they only scan and trash and I doubt they keep the codes separate, which might seem fishy that you only recycle but don't have any trash whatsoever.

And should it be the government's job to make you recycle? Heck no! It's their own imperative and if they don't then they don't. If they do, well whoopie Do, who cares really. Saves some resources, but heck, plastic isn't really a recyclable resource because they can only recycle downward before the last recycled plastic is not recyclable.

That's like making people drink 8 glasses of water. Is it good for you/society, sure.... Is it the government's job? No. I will see this in the future. We will have these water bottles that are linked to a gps transmitter and a wifi hookup that will tell the g-man that we aren't drinking all 8 glasses of water and get fined for not doing so.

Lmao, I would just clone the chip/barcode and just pop it on my regular trash bin, I'm sure they only scan and trash and I doubt they keep the codes separate, which might seem fishy that you only recycle but don't have any trash whatsoever.

And should it be the government's job to make you recycle? Heck no! It's their own imperative and if they don't then they don't. If they do, well whoopie Do, who cares really. Saves some resources, but heck, plastic isn't really a recyclable resource because they can only recycle downward before the last recycled plastic is not recyclable.

That's like making people drink 8 glasses of water. Is it good for you/society, sure.... Is it the government's job? No. I will see this in the future. We will have these water bottles that are linked to a gps transmitter and a wifi hookup that will tell the g-man that we aren't drinking all 8 glasses of water and get fined for not doing so.

If the city collects the garbage, then it is their job to tell you what to do with your garbage. If they contract it out and hire private firms, then it's not their job.

It's very different from drinking water, as well. There is no community interest in keeping you hydrated. There is community interest in not overfilling landfills with non-biodegradable materials.

If the law in your community is recycling, then it's the law. Get the law overturned.

Besides, people who whine about recycling are obviously the laziest whores in the world. How hard is it to put paper, plastic, metal and glass in one container (or whatever your community recycles - ours doesn't do plastic) and everything else in another.

We finally moved from a city without curbside recycling to one that has it (and yes, it's law) and we only have to take the regular garbage out to the curb every two to three weeks. It's not like it's difficult. In fact, it's easier than disabling a chip, I bet.

Last edited:

Um, well, you're handing it to them to dispose of. If they can reduce how much they have to actually bury or ship elsewhere, it makes sense for them to do so.

How come posters are trying to disable the chips?

Because many people see it as a privacy invasion with the government sticking a chip in your trash can to track what you throw away. Besides that today it could be a chip in your garbage can tomorrow it could be a chip in your car to charge you mileage taxes and to fine you if you speed, a chip on your house to make sure you are not wasting energy or water a chip in your mailbox to track what you send and so on. You give the government a inch they will take a mile. Then there is the reasonable fear that through process of incrementation the people overtime will submit to more government control and loss of rights.

I think they're great.
Of course you do.

It should be compulsory to recycle and those who don't do it should be fined.

Then go live in Britain, not the US. Americans do not like the idea of the government being able to spy on you.

to disable the chip, just find where it is in the bin, and run electricity from a car battery through it, should short circuit it, and plead ignorance.

Or you could smack it with a hammer, either way there isn't much they can do, to prove you did it.

Because many people see it as a privacy invasion with the government sticking a chip in your trash can to track what you throw away. Besides that today it could be a chip in your garbage can tomorrow it could be a chip in your car to charge you mileage taxes and to fine you if you speed, a chip on your house to make sure you are not wasting energy or water a chip in your mailbox to track what you send and so on. You give the government a inch they will take a mile. Then there is the reasonable fear that through process of incrementation the people overtime will submit to more government control and loss of rights.

Of course you do.

Then go live in Britain, not the US. Americans do not like the idea of the government being able to spy on you.

Fair enough. Stop using government garbage collection then and take your garbage to the dump yourself.

Fair enough. Stop using government garbage collection then and take your garbage to the dump yourself.

They usually have a monopoly on service, so that isn't a choice that can be made.

It would be easier if I just dump my garbage in your can. Besides that I help pay for that garbage collection service.

Last edited:

What's the issue here?

Are there actually lazy pigs out there who actually can't be bothered to recycle their junk?? Oh my, it takes 5 extra seconds to toss your 2-liter diet pepsi bottle into the Recycle bin instead of the trash. Jesus Christ!

I say fine the hell out of them.

First off, recycling is overrated. Last time I did any research on the subject, the methods used weren't that effective. And it often made alot of pollution in itself. Second if the government wants to increase recycling they can sort through the garbage themselves, and send it to be recycled. No one should be fined for not recycling.

First off, recycling is overrated. Last time I did any research on the subject, the methods used weren't that effective. And it often made alot of pollution in itself. Second if the government wants to increase recycling they can sort through the garbage themselves, and send it to be recycled. No one should be fined for not recycling.

Not to mention, that we aren't running out of space for landfills or materials.

What's the issue here?

Government intrusion and mandated eco-religious nut nonsense.

Are there actually lazy pigs out there who actually can't be bothered to recycle their junk?? Oh my, it takes 5 extra seconds to toss your 2-liter diet pepsi bottle into the Recycle bin instead of the trash. Jesus Christ!

Its not a matter of laziness its a matter of the government forcing you to do something and then spying on you to make sure you do what they want you do.

Not to mention, that we aren't running out of space for landfills or materials.

This also.

How come posters are trying to disable the chips? I think they're great. It should be compulsory to recycle and those who don't do it should be fined.

How come posters aren't outraged about more government intrusion in our lives?
To hec with disabling the chip. They should never be there in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom