• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High-speed trains are finally coming to the US

Actually the estimated cost to completion between LA and SF is estimated to be 77-82 BILLION.

That is wildly over the estimate...Still it won't be cheap...I say why bother...The America of the 21st century is too divided for these projects

The only place where not owning a car really has always been OK in this country at least from my experience is Manhattan Island....and then there is Manhattan Island....and then there is ....well....Manhattan Island. I just can't think of another example in this country that is anywhere near to that. Remarkably, it has been that way for a long time.

The NYC Subway needs what $70 Billion which no one has or wants to pay isnt that what they say because over long periods of time the people who were supposed to be taking care of the system did a crap job....The city cant function without a functioning subway almost everyone agrees that this is a very important system but even the most important work like this did not rate doing....And yet when people like me start talking about how the leaders have failed you measure the charge a great conspiracy theory to be either mocked or ignored as the will sees fit.

Maybe it is time for you to invest in a grand rethink?

California hopes to get the line between Fresno and San Jose open...Still you have too many angry Right Wingers against funding it...Too many urbanites that don't want it near them, nobody wants to pay taxes for it...Lawsuits galore....America is no longer capable of these big projects
Actually the first leg is between Bakersfield and Madera. Not just right wingers complaining about cost which has gone up several times already.

Actually the first leg is between Bakersfield and Madera. Not just right wingers complaining about cost which has gone up several times already.

I'm not saying it is....The days of these grand projects that benefit the general public are over...Most Americans hate their government, and will never be on board for building them....Hell America cannot even fund basic infrastructure anymore

That is wildly over the estimate...Still it won't be cheap...I say why bother...The America of the 21st century is too divided for these projects
Yeah, some people expecting it to actually make sense economically and operationally vs the "other the countries are doing it" cohort is an interesting battle.

China will soon High speed MagLev trains connecting all their major cities....Along with Europe....America??????....

I know I don't have to tell Californians this, but the amount of time they will spend bumper to bumper in their cars in highways that are really just slow moving parking lots is truly a remarkable experience for somebody often there for business but not living there. Ah yes, the joys of the 405. And then even more remarkable, you would get to places like the Cisco Campus (I was there a good many times in my career) and while there were many cars in the lot, those wide boulevards made it possible to get to the highway. But once there, you just about stopped dead in your tracks!

And that is not the worst of it by a long shot. Driving around other parts of Cal going to meetings at Broadcom and Intel was even worse. Don't know how you guys do it.

The NYC Subway needs what $70 Billion which no one has or wants to pay isnt that what they say because over long periods of time the people who were supposed to be taking care of the system did a crap job....The city cant function without a functioning subway almost everyone agrees that this is a very important system but even the most important work like this did not rate doing....And yet when people like me start talking about how the leaders have failed you measure the charge a great conspiracy theory to be either mocked or ignored as the will sees fit.

Maybe it is time for you to invest in a grand rethink?

That subway system needed to be maintained real time all the time, sort of the way smaller cities maintain their streets. It never ends. It is just a matter of what end of town they are repairing now. Letting that subway system fall in such disrepair over such an expanse of it is darned near criminal. I honest to God don't know what they do at this point other than shrug and start doing it. I just don't know how they make a go of it without that system or a fairly large chunk of it functioning.

Most Americans do NOT want intercity trains.

Americans are very impatient.

They want to fly.

Above all, they want to drive. They love to drive.

California is building a high-speed train. The cost has gone through the roof. Naturally, construction companies love the project.

Passenger train service in the United States is, sadly, a thing of the past.

So the train would have to go over the freeway overpass on a bridge that's higher than the freeway overpass?
That sounds like a really expensive solution, as well as serious design challenge, to me.

I wonder how feasible it would be to build the freeway overpass pillars to span what the train would need to run at ground level?

A solution would not be that difficult. Either form of transportation would go either over, around or under the existing highway bridge.

Nonsense. The same investment in additional airports and modern expressways would likely have been faster and cheaper.

Nope. Trains are the best way to transport large numbers of people and the cheapest.

Most Americans do NOT want intercity trains.

Americans are very impatient.

If Americans are impatient then intercity trains would be the best solution. No TSA, no driving to airports way outside cities and all that. Trains pick you up and drop you off in city centres.

Above all, they want to drive. They love to drive.

Ahh yes, that is the main problem.

Only one thing really matters: population density. That's the great disparity between the US and Europe and the reason mass transit is not popular here. At some threshold, passenger trains become economically viable.

Correct. BART does very well in the Bay Area due in part to density and the geography.

Nope. Trains are the best way to transport large numbers of people and the cheapest.

That is a blanket statement of zero applicability to the situation in Spain, the example you provided. Spain as the highest per seat cost of any European country, and is tied for second as the highest per seat per mile cost. Like most European high speed rail, it operates at a loss especially when capital investment costs are included. But when European gas taxes are 5 bucks a gallon, and a nation has never invested in decent highway system or sufficient air ports, of course the lack of competition is going to make a bad or negative return on investment look necessary.

High-speed rail is an obvious concern for an economist living in Spain. Expansion of the country’s network was sought with great intensity during a time of economic crisis. The first HSR route began between Madrid and Seville in 1992 and the size of the network is surpassed only by China’s. Yet its traffic falls short of the volumes in Japan, France and Germany.

"Transport policy in Spain has nothing to do with mobility,” declares Albalate, adding that: “In HSR, the objective was to connect Madrid to all the provincial capitals to reinforce the economic and political weight of the political capital.”

Spain’s network cost an estimated €40 billion to build and receives significant annual subsidies. “The opportunity cost of this ambitious rail network has been huge for the Spanish people,” says Albalate, expressing surprise at government claims of positive HSR impacts around the world.

“Do not get impressed by how modern HSR apparently is,” he cautions. “Make a reasonable cost benefit analysis. And do not worry: I’m sure teletransportation will be invented very soon.”

https://www.intheblack.com/articles...ains-and-the-economics-of-high-speed-railways

Nuff said.

High-speed trains in America? Virgin Trains USA on track to make it so | CNN Travel

(CNN) — Japan has its famed Shinkasens, Russia its Maglevs, France its TGVs.

But what about the United States?

One train company has high hopes of bringing high-speed rail travel to America. Brightline Trains, which bills itself as "America's first new major private intercity passenger railroad in over a century," has just gotten a major vote of confidence from Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
========================================
To be branded Virgin Trains USA, they will initially link Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.

And will LOSE TRILLIONS of tax payers' dollars.

...Unless the cost/benefit in the customers' mind is greater than flying.

Maybe the customer needs to be better informed?

For example, the train from St. Pancras in London to Gare du Nord in Paris is much faster than flying. It's a downtown to downtown service, with a 1/2 hour checkin time for security checkpoints, and takes roughly 2 1/4 hours, so 2 3/4 hour total trip. It takes almost that long just to get to Gatwick or Heathrow, and then get through the security checkpoints.

With much roomier and more comfortable seating, and the ability to go for a stroll during the trip, and the train is a far far better option imo.

I can't see why this couldn't be done between major cities on the East coast.

That is a blanket statement of zero applicability to the situation in Spain, the example you provided. Spain as the highest per seat cost of any European country, and is tied for second as the highest per seat per mile cost. Like most European high speed rail, it operates at a loss especially when capital investment costs are included. But when European gas taxes are 5 bucks a gallon, and a nation has never invested in decent highway system or sufficient air ports, of course the lack of competition is going to make a bad or negative return on investment look necessary.

1) There are tons of airports in Spain. In fact they have ghost airports that were built and have no planes landing there! It aint airports we lack here... Nore is it highways. There are TONS of them thanks to EU money. Hell you can drive from the Algarve Coast in Portugal to Athens on one continuous highway.

2) The Spanish high speed system is still under construction and there was a little crisis (thanks US!) that caused a pause in public works and frankly internal tourism and transportation.

3) As for profitability. The Spanish rail carrier is in profit. The French AVG is in profit. The Chinese high speed rail is in profit. The list goes on. Once the investment has been made in the tracks, then these trains are nothing but money makers IF put in the right places.

Now this Daniel Albalate guy....

"Transport policy in Spain has nothing to do with mobility,” declares Albalate, adding that: “In HSR, the objective was to connect Madrid to all the provincial capitals to reinforce the economic and political weight of the political capital.”

Eh? That comment makes NO sense whatsoever. Yes Madrid is the capital and happens to be in the middle of the country.. so any system would have to go through the middle of the country. Also regional capitals are usually the largest cities in said regions, so of course that would be logical to connect them. However there are also trains to non regional capitals.. explain that? I can.. population. And then there are trains in Galicia that are not even connected yet to Madrid.. the Spanish high speed rail has everything to do with mobility, as they have for the most part designed the high speed rail system on the air routes with most passengers.. So why did this guy say so? Oh he is Catalan.. that explains a few things.

I am not saying that the Spanish system is perfect, far from it. However at least they have dared to think ahead and outside the box, like France, Germany, China, Japan and others.. where as the US sticks its conservative head right into the ground and hopes nothing bad happens. There is no better system to move large amounts of people fast between two points...

Maybe the customer needs to be better informed?

For example, the train from St. Pancras in London to Gare du Nord in Paris is much faster than flying. It's a downtown to downtown service, with a 1/2 hour checkin time for security checkpoints, and takes roughly 2 1/4 hours, so 2 3/4 hour total trip. It takes almost that long just to get to Gatwick or Heathrow, and then get through the security checkpoints.

With much roomier and more comfortable seating, and the ability to go for a stroll during the trip, and the train is a far far better option imo.

I can't see why this couldn't be done between major cities on the East coast.

Anyone flying from Paris to London is an idiot. It is expensive and takes so much longer than just jumping on the train.. and guess what... it aint even high speed per say. It is in France, but as soon as you hit the UK it turns into snail pace (relatively speaking) and yet it STILL beats an airplane.

If Americans are impatient then intercity trains would be the best solution. No TSA, no driving to airports way outside cities and all that. Trains pick you up and drop you off in city centres.

I think people just need to experience a good train system, and they would be sold.

Canada has a ridiculously overpriced train system (more of a tourist attraction really), so I was blown away by the trains in the EU. Cheaper (esp when figuring in the minimum $30-100 fares to and from the airports), bigger luggage allowances, faster, and so much more comfortable with wide seats and tons of leg room. A classic "no-brainer" imo.

Americans are not Europeans...and even BART, being touted here as a "great success" is HEAVILY SUBSIDIZED w/TAX DOLLARS.

Trains will LOSE BILLIONS, if not more....

https://www.intheblack.com/articles...ains-and-the-economics-of-high-speed-railways

Nuff said.

I would take that article with a grain of salt. It says connecting Madrid to all the other cities was done for political reasons. Madrid is in the center of Spain, what kind of responsible transit system wouldn't connect cities by running through the middle?

Now if they had talked about highway signs, they might have a point. I swear, every single exit has a "Madrid this way" sign on it.

1) There are tons of airports in Spain...It aint airports we lack here... Nore is it highways. …

2) The Spanish high speed system is still under construction...

3) ...The Spanish rail carrier is in profit. The French AVG is in profit. The Chinese high speed rail is in profit. The list goes on. Once the investment has been made in the tracks, then these trains are nothing but money makers IF put in the right places.

Then the right places are few for actual profit, because contrary to you claim most of the European HSR lines are money losers. For example, the Congressional Research Service (2009) reported:

Experts say that virtually no HSR lines anywhere in the world have earned enough revenue to cover both their construction and operating costs, even where population density is far greater than anywhere in the United States. Typically, governments have paid the construction costs, and in many cases have subsidized the operating costs as well.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40973.pdf

and

Inaki Barron de Angoiti, director of high speed rail at the International Railways Association, said it is estimated that only two high speed routes in the world have broken even (that is, covered both their construction and operating costs): the Tokyo-Osaka and Paris-Lyon routes. Victoria Burnett, “Europe’s HighSpeed Trains Holds Lessons for U.S.,” New York Times, May 29, 2009.

And as Ron Cole of Amtrak admits:

It is a fact that no nationwide passenger rail system anywhere in the world is considered profitable when all costs -- including capital -- are accounted for," wrote Cole, in an e-mail to CNNMoney.com. "Like all national rail systems worldwide, Amtrak requires annual funding to support both its capital and operational needs.

To invest enormous amounts of money into a new HSR infrastructure to compete with "tons of" roads and existing airports makes little sense if the net result is to create another government money sucking beast subsidized to steal traffic from other non-subsidized and subsidized forms of public transportation. And it makes even less sense to take usury level gas taxes from drivers, and then establish toll roads anyway, so as to subsidize those other elements of money losing ROI public transportation.

Now this Daniel Albalate guy....

Eh? That comment makes NO sense whatsoever. Yes Madrid is the capital and happens to be in the middle of the country.. so any system would have to go through the middle of the country. Also regional capitals are usually the largest cities in said regions, so of course that would be logical to connect them. However there are also trains to non regional capitals.. explain that? ...I am not saying that the Spanish system is perfect, far from it. However at least they have dared to think ahead and outside the box, ... where as the US sticks its conservative head right into the ground and hopes nothing bad happens. There is no better system to move large amounts of people fast between two points...

Oh please, "this" Daniel Albatale is also a Spanish transportation economist and academic, who written on the subject including in a book, the Economics and Politics of High Speed Rail. His criticisms of high speed rail implementations is strongest for that of those in Spain, a country whose "thinking outside the box" is to ignore cost-benefit results, ignore EU guidelines for minimal ridership numbers to even have a shot at breaking even on operations, and whose "thought" is to blind and gushing admiration in "modern" nation building with white elephant HSR's, burning 10s of billions.

A few brief facts speak for itself:

- The Spanish network far surpasses all countries, except China - despite the fact that Spanish HSR passenger numbers only slightly more than 6 percent of those transported by the Shinkansen in Japan. It is also easily the most expensive per mile of track.

- Cost-benefit evaluations of the Madrid–Seville line have appeared (de Rus and Inglada, 1993), as well as of the Madrid–Barcelona line (de Rus and Román, 2006). In both cases, the results were that AVE’s economic profitability and its contribution to social welfare was dismal. Not that Spain's leaders care.

- Unlike other European nations, economic analysis of high-speed rail has played a small role in the formation of infrastructure policy in Spain. Hence, all HSR track lead Madrid for political, not economic reasons. Economics simply don't play much of a role in Spain's decision making.

Cont:

Cont.

- The European Commission (2008) established that projects with less than six million passengers were not justifiable. Even for average infrastructure costs and time savings, the minimum of nine million passengers is required. The projected Madrid–Valencia AVE in its first year of service (2011) was lower than three million passengers and only close to four million with its extensions to lesser capitals. Provisional figures indicated that traffic would be almost a million passengers lower than the initial previsions. If we compare the volume of annual passengers per mile of track in the initial project in Spain for the year 2008 with those on the Tokyo–Osaka line the number of annual passengers per mile of network is almost 380,000, on the Paris–Lyon 95,000, and in the Köln–Frankfurt 82,000, the Madrid–Seville line—even including the Puertollano and Malaga branches, as well as all services realized by units on international track gauge—was barely more than 22,000 passengers a year per mile at the time of Albatale's writing.

- The total traffic of the Spanish high-speed rail network is very low: slightly over 6 percent of the passengers of those of Japan’s network, less than 20 percent of those of France’s, and around 25 percent of those of Germany’s, suggesting very low rates of return. The principal reason is clear: the volume of population served is relatively reduced, and furthermore competition with the airplane is much greater than in the domestic traffic of other countries such as France, Germany, or Italy. In fact, time savings are slight in respect to the airplane, and construction costs are high.

- The recent audit by the European Court of Auditors ("A European high-speed rail network: not a reality but an ineffective patchwork highlighted these deficiencies.") confirms these deficiencies. They audited 14 lines, seven uncompleted and seven completed. "In 2016, only three (of the completed) lines actually carried more than nine million passengers per year (Madrid-Barcelona, Turin-Salerno and LGV Est-Européenne). On three of the ...completed high-speed lines we audited (Eje Atlántico, Rhin-Rhône and Madrid-León), the number of passengers carried was far lower. (One completed line was too new to audit). They also found in their Catchment-area analysis that "of the number of people living along the lines: nine of 14 audited high-speed lines and stretches do not have sufficient high number of potential passengers (which included the three already identified as failing) to have been built.

If daring to "think outside the box" requires blind romance for a modernized version of an archaic transportation technology (trains) then, by all means, "think out side the box" and also call for breeding faster horses for a revival of stage coaches.

But honestly, I don't believe that "thinking outside the box" includes burning the tax payers hard built wealth with negative returns on investment, and subsidizing alternate forms of transportation that apparently can't compete with untolled expressways and airlines, not without 11 Billion Euros per year in subsidy. Vainglorious and stupid government enthusiasms, impossible to sell to individual investors who are prudent, are only possible when they spend other people's money. And of all the misbegotten Euro systems, those in Spain are among the worst cost-benefit failures.

Only one thing really matters: population density. That's the great disparity between the US and Europe and the reason mass transit is not popular here. At some threshold, passenger trains become economically viable.

The population density of endpoints is what matters for mass-appeal high speed travel.

Passenger train operators in the US seem given to stopping at myriad locations rather than focusing on traveling at high speeds, in competition with airlines, between major destinations. To wit, between DC and Manhattan the Acela is very competitive with the Delta Shuttle. Door-to-door, the Shuttle is a few minutes faster if there are no hiccups (weather, security lines and traffic). The Shuttle has the advantage that if one's schedule puts one at the terminal in time to catch an earlier flight, one can get on it, whereas with the Acela, one must stop at the counter to refund/exchange a later ticket for an earlier one, or one must buy a second ticket and get a refund for the ticket one didn't use. (Neither is faster than a charter flight, but fortunately most folks don't care to fly that way.)

In any case, trains traveling overland at 300 mph and arriving in the center of the city have a going for them; however, when they stop at interim depots, well, not so much.

Forget it Pete...Unlike Denmark and Scandinavia...Americans hate their government...If possible would pay NO taxes on anything...Infrastructure be damned.....There is No way any large scale public project will be built.....High Speed trains???.... Too expensive...Lets spend Billions on a Wall instead....

Forget it Pete...Unlike Denmark and Scandinavia...Americans hate their government...If possible would pay NO taxes on anything...Infrastructure be damned.....There is No way any large scale public project will be built.....High Speed trains???.... Too expensive...Lets spend Billions on a Wall instead....

Our government has misbehaved.

Back
Top Bottom