• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High school kids

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
School starts here on August 15. Where the hell did summer go!?

I'll have a junior and sophomore in high school this coming year, and I'm dreading how much it's going to cost in fees.

I've never had to do a payment plan before, but this may be the first year. On top of book/enrollment fees are lab fees, band fees, jrotc fees, and OTHER fees for other classes. My daughter is in sophomore honors English, and there's a damn $50.00 fee for that.

I think by the time I add it all up, it's gonna be close to $600.00...and that's figuring in what I KNOW about . Of course, that includes uniforms for four different jrotc uniform rentals, band uniform rentals, I have to buy shoes for band and jrotc... the list keeps growing. Not to mention just the crap supplies they need, clothes and all that.

I'm having a mini panic attack.

Enrollment fees are due next week. I don't remember school costing this much before. A friend of mine, his kids attend parochial school and he's not paying nearly this much.

Argh!!!!

I'll have a junior and sophomore in high school this coming year, and I'm dreading how much it's going to cost in fees.

I've never had to do a payment plan before, but this may be the first year. On top of book/enrollment fees are lab fees, band fees, jrotc fees, and OTHER fees for other classes. My daughter is in sophomore honors English, and there's a damn $50.00 fee for that.

I think by the time I add it all up, it's gonna be close to $600.00. Of course, that includes uniforms for four different jrotc uniform rentals, band uniform rentals, I have to buy shoes for band and jrotc... the list keeps growing. Not to mention just the crap supplies they need, clothes and all that.

Enrollment fees are due next week. I don't remember school costing this much before. A friend of mine, his kids attend parochial school and he's not paying nearly this much.

Argh!!!!

It's been a longggggg time since I had kids in high school, but I remember how expensive it seemed to have been even back then. Maybe you should put your kids in parochial school, lol.

I have to order my law books next week. Doing it while drunk so I don't remember the costs.

Thanks for reminding me how close school is to starting! :2wave: :doh

I think by the time I add it all up, it's gonna be close to $600.00...and that's figuring in what I KNOW about . Of course, that includes uniforms for four different jrotc uniform rentals, band uniform rentals, I have to buy shoes for band and jrotc... the list keeps growing. Not to mention just the crap supplies they need, clothes and all that.

Argh!!!!

this is a public school?

I have to order my law books next week. Doing it while drunk so I don't remember the costs.

They might frown upon me if I show up to pay, three sheets to the wind. Although they probably wouldn't care as long as I paid.

The bastards.

They might frown upon me if I show up to pay, three sheets to the wind. Although they probably wouldn't care as long as I paid.

The bastards.

Actually you should get drunk in front of them. We used to get drunk in our Russian politics class. What you do is get some grapes and then soak them in vodka overnight.

I always bought used books when I could: pre-highlighted as to the important parts and I would look for the ones that had good notes in them, especially notes about lectures from the same prof I would have.

It's been a longggggg time since I had kids in high school, but I remember how expensive it seemed to have been even back then. Maybe you should put your kids in parochial school, lol.

Yeah that is about how much it will run me in fees for my son who will be a first grader in a private school over the course of the year. I imagine the fees just have different titles.

I don't go back till after labour day.

I always bought used books when I could: pre-highlighted as to the important parts and I would look for the ones that had good notes in them, especially notes about lectures from the same prof I would have.

Yeah that is about how much it will run me in fees for my son who will be a first grader in a private school over the course of the year. I imagine the fees just have different titles.

Both my kids went to parochial school for the first three years of gradeschool. I know tuition and tithing isn't cheap. I will say though, there's a misconception that public school is "free", which isn't the case.

what gets me is the fees for clearly educational material, like books, placement costs, and lab fees

Both my kids went to parochial school for the first three years of gradeschool. I know tuition and tithing isn't cheap. I will say though, there's a misconception that public school is "free", which isn't the case.

Public schools have free meal and book programs for poor kids which I fully support. I wish they had a free dinner program for poor students and their families to be honest.

Our school operates out of a church but is not considered a religious school. It is a satellite campus of another larger academy in an nearby town that is too far to shuttle students back and forth to. Our tuition is less than it would be at the main campus, but it does not have a proper gym or full library so they rent gym time from the local Y and frequent the kids part of the public library and "Walking bus" it over to them. I think it is a good set up in the end. The massive church with a dwindling congregation gets to make some money and the school curriculum is not dominated by religion, though it doesn't shun it either. My office is nearby so one day we had a surprise lunch/ice cream social for the kids in my son's class and the associated first grade class when they thought they would just be "exploring" i.e. walking around. (The K-1 are taught by the same set of teachers and you are locked into the same class for those two years so in the morning the K teacher might get you but in the afternoon the 1st grade teacher teaches the kindergarteners and the K teacher teaches the first graders)

Actually you should get drunk in front of them. We used to get drunk in our Russian politics class. What you do is get some grapes and then soak them in vodka overnight.

Haha... nah. I'm pretty sure then CPS. would come a knocking on my door. Besides, I can't hold my liquor like I used to.

I use condoms. I'm not subjected to any of this.

Lucky.

I love my kids, but they are pricey...and the fun has just started.

you have to spend money on public school?

I've been out of high school for a long, long time, but even now, after all this time, when I see a sign that says "Back to School Sale" it's like being hit in the stomach with a sledgehammer.

The feeling of "Summer just got here, we've been screwed!!" never goes away!

you have to spend money on public school?

boggles the mind, right? If it was simply for clubs and sports teams it would be understandable, but once you start charging for basic educational needs you have a huge problem

Not where i'm from....Plus I though the whole idea of public school is that is was free? Silly me lol

One would think, right? Haha

Plus, a good amount of the property tax I pay on my house goes toward public education, so it's a double whammy.

Bleh.

One would think, right? Haha

Plus, a good amount of the property tax I pay on my house goes toward public education, so it's a double whammy.

Bleh.

well hopefully at least its a good school!

Back
Top Bottom