• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High school kids

well hopefully at least its a good school!

Ah... it's an OK school. It's in a military town, so JROTC is good and nothing kids are VERY active in it. That's it's one saving grace.

Not where i'm from....Plus I though the whole idea of public school is that is was free? Silly me lol

Two reasons that it is free: 1) You pay for it in tax 2) School league tables: 170,000 pupils in failing schools - Telegraph

Almost 170,000 pupils are languishing in state secondaries where fewer than four-in-10 teenagers gain a string of good GCSE grades, according to Government data.

Money for quality In most cases for private education, my brother and myself have been privately educated yet he still doesn't know where Iran is on the world map (for a start anyway, before it was Noah of Arcs wife was Joan of Arc :lamo) He is a bit thick.

Uh, Yes. Always have.

well, besides taxes, my public school had no such fees. Then again, it was populated by ghetto-scum and trailer-trash. So charging fees would have been a rather pointless exercise

Two reasons that it is free: 1) You pay for it in tax 2) School league tables: 170,000 pupils in failing schools - Telegraph

Money for quality In most cases for private education, my brother and myself have been privately educated yet he still doesn't know where Iran is on the world map (for a start anyway, before it was Noah of Arcs wife was Joan of Arc :lamo) He is a bit thick.

That's hilarious!

A few years back I was telling the girl I was dating that my brother had moved to New Mexico. Her response...."New Mexico? Why new?"

That's hilarious!

A few years back I was telling the girl I was dating that my brother had moved to New Mexico. Her response...."New Mexico? Why new?"

:lamo Some people.....

l think l will start working in a state school in september or a few months later

l am already against private ones

but children are the most enjoyable part of the teaching process

Ha...you think high school is expensive....just wait until you send a kid, or kids, to college.....

Ha...you think high school is expensive....just wait until you send a kid, or kids, to college.....

I know this. :roll: Gee, I'm so stoopid I had NO IDEA college would cost me.... good Gawd.

College expense is expected. High school... not so much.

Ha.

I know this. :roll: Gee, I'm so stoopid I had NO IDEA college would cost me.... good Gawd.

Ha.

PS it also does not rain gum drops

PS Would I be wrong in assuming that such fees are based on income? If so, how do they handle low-income students?

Ha.

Send them to school in the southeast. I paid more per credit hour (a LOT more) as an undergrad at Michigan than I did as a grad at Troy. Granted, you get what you pay for - but even a school like Troy was comparable to other larger state schools like Alabama, Florida, and Ole Miss.

PS it also does not rain gum drops

PS Would I be wrong in assuming that such fees are based on income? If so, how do they handle low-income students?

I have no idea how that's handled.

you have to spend money on public school?

Yes we do have spend money on public school. Even in elementary school, I was expected to purchase a list of supplies. Pencils, markers, crayons, rulers, paints, glue sticks, 3 boxes of kleenex... When I was in school, these things were provided and I can't remember it all but shopping as frugally as I could shop it would amount to $50 per kid, no frills. As they get older, the list gets more involved and expensive. In high school, there are student fees $45, just for going to school and like TGND, if they participate in classes like foods, there is a $20 fee. Sports? Forgettaboutit. $125 per sport, per kid when my boys were in school, now $150. That's just the fees, not the shoes, and uniforms (baseball) or the $50 each for camp before school start. I won't complain much about that as it's elective, but it's still spendy.

This was caused in my state by budget cuts. Deep, deep budget cuts. Public school, is not free here. I'm lucky, my district is very frugal and well run, so we don't have some of the issues others do.

School starts here on August 15. Where the hell did summer go!?

I'll have a junior and sophomore in high school this coming year, and I'm dreading how much it's going to cost in fees.

I've never had to do a payment plan before, but this may be the first year. On top of book/enrollment fees are lab fees, band fees, jrotc fees, and OTHER fees for other classes. My daughter is in sophomore honors English, and there's a damn $50.00 fee for that.

I think by the time I add it all up, it's gonna be close to $600.00...and that's figuring in what I KNOW about . Of course, that includes uniforms for four different jrotc uniform rentals, band uniform rentals, I have to buy shoes for band and jrotc... the list keeps growing. Not to mention just the crap supplies they need, clothes and all that.

I'm having a mini panic attack.

Enrollment fees are due next week. I don't remember school costing this much before. A friend of mine, his kids attend parochial school and he's not paying nearly this much.

Argh!!!!

Hahah, I am a senior in high school and all my total expenses are at about $700.

Holy crap, do your kids go to private school? :shock: That's highway robbery!!

Nope. Public school in Kansas.

OMG, my kids only needed routine school supplies... notebooks, pens, pencils, essay booklets, and the occasional purchased workbook. Textbooks were supplied, and if they weren't returned or were damaged, then parents were charged for them. What really made me go :shock: are all those damned fees!! My god, why haven't parents rioted and stormed the school district's administrative offices by now??

My oldest son: JROTC all 4 years...cost: 0.

My youngest: Marching band all 4 years...cost: 2 pairs of shoes. (he grew, dammit!!)

books - 0
school-supplied laptop - 0
college level courses - 0

The only thing we paid for were misc school supplies.

Colorado public school.

My oldest son: JROTC all 4 years...cost: 0.

My youngest: Marching band all 4 years...cost: 2 pairs of shoes. (he grew, dammit!!)

books - 0
school-supplied laptop - 0
college level courses - 0

The only thing we paid for were misc school supplies.

Colorado public school.

Ugh. My daughter is in JROTC: Color Guard, Drum and Bugle, Honor Guard and Special Teams. Son is Honor Guard, Armed Guard, Special Team (Raiders). Daughter in marching band, jazz and symphony performing band.

They charge fees for *everything*. Each year it gets worse, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom