• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High school football coach scores big win at Supreme Court over post-game prayer

Why does there need to be a post game prayer? Religion is culty and weird in the first place. I get going to church and praying or praying on your own. It’s such a strange ritual to me to do this post game.

I wonder how many kids are peer pressured into taking part in this creepyness?

They say nobody is required to participate but if you are 17 and your chances of getting a scholarship depend on your playing minutes you might very well feel obliged, whether you are or not.

Last edited:
Well, this is one bad ruling that SCOTUS has made, since it ignores the 1st clause of the First Amendment (Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion), but it's going to be interesting and amusing to see all sorts of rituals and activities by devil or satan worshippers, pagans, druids, witchcraft, atheists, etc. at public schools on playing fields or courts following sports events.

🍿
they can have whatever they like

do you know WHY players pray after the game?

did you ever play football?

i am not a very religious guy......but i was in that circle with the vast majority of my teammates thanking GOD that every player made it off the field with no major injuries

And having both teams meet out there was not uncommon back then.....

This is a coach leading his team in a prayer....short and simple....and NO ONE is forced to participate

No one was forced back when i played either.....and no one bothered the guys who didnt pray

SO many of you always think the worst of every situation.....

Football and team sports in general teaches young people some of the best things in life.....stop trying to **** it up

I know when I played football, we always had a post-game prayer. So I for one am fine with this, as long as coaches don't hold it against players that choose not too.
And just what do you plan to do about it when the atheist kid finds himself benched at every game? All the coach has to say is "he's just not 'good' enough to play." And you'll cheer that on, too.

Or how about when a Muslim or a Jewish coach wants to lead the prayer and is told no? You going to stand for that?

And just what do you plan to do about it when the atheist kid finds himself benched at every game? All the coach has to say is "he's just not 'good' enough to play." And you'll cheer that on, too.

Or how about when a Muslim or a Jewish coach wants to lead the prayer and is told no? You going to stand for that?
This ruling needs to apply equally to every religion.

What do you plan to do about the religious kid who finds himself benched at every game? All an atheist coach has to say is "he's just not 'good' enough to play."

Again, taxes that I paid; please see my previous posts.
OK. That's neither what the establishment clause says, nor are tax dollars being used here. So, you are good.

Why couldn't the delusional jesus [sic] freak/attention whore just wait till he got back home to start mumbling to his alleged god?
lol - you are accusing the coach of being an "attention whore"? What are you doing with this obviously inflammatory post?

But to answer your question, he could, but doesn't have to.

they can have whatever they like

do you know WHY players pray after the game?

did you ever play football?

i am not a very religious guy......but i was in that circle with the vast majority of my teammates thanking GOD that every player made it off the field with no major injuries

And having both teams meet out there was not uncommon back then.....

This is a coach leading his team in a prayer....short and simple....and NO ONE is forced to participate

No one was forced back when i played either.....and no one bothered the guys who didnt pray

SO many of you always think the worst of every situation.....

Football and team sports in general teaches young people some of the best things in life.....stop trying to **** it up
I see it sometimes after pro games and I always thought it was cool when players from both teams joined in a quick prayer, like it’s an acknowledgment that rivalry on the field is just that and some things are more important than the game itself.

Another win toward restoring the Constitution.

From the ruling......
"Here, a government entity sought to punish an individual for engaging in a brief, quiet, personal religious observance doubly protected by the Free Exercise and Free Speech Clauses of the First Amendment. And the only meaningful justification the government offered for its reprisal rested on a mistaken view that it had a duty to ferret out and suppress," Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote in the Court's opinion. "Religious observances even as it allows comparable secular speech. The Constitution neither mandates nor tolerates that kind of discrimination."

Boomchickawawa!

I know when I played football, we always had a post-game prayer. So I for one am fine with this, as long as coaches don't hold it against players that choose not too.
And the odds of that happening are how low?

Well, this is one bad ruling that SCOTUS has made, since it ignores the 1st clause of the First Amendment (Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion), but it's going to be interesting and amusing to see all sorts of rituals and activities by devil or satan worshippers, pagans, druids, witchcraft, atheists, etc. at public schools on playing fields or courts following sports events.

🍿
And the law suits that follow when they aren't allowed will greatly enrich the legal profession - right?

First of all, I never said there are not laws that require you to pay your local taxes for schools.

Secondly, CONGRESS (as stated in the 1st amendment) is not making the laws to which you refer.

Last, a coach praying after a football game, ESTABLISHES (again from the 1st amendment) nothing.
So, if the SUPREME COURT were to rule that ONLY (the _[fill in the blank]_ subset of) "Christianity" was a "religion" (remember, the Constitution of the United States of America does NOT define what a "religion" is) for CONSTITUTIONAL PURPOSES, you'd be quite OK with CONGRESS then passing legislation outlawing the practice of any other purported, so-called, "religion" would you?

I see it sometimes after pro games and I always thought it was cool when players from both teams joined in a quick prayer, like it’s an acknowledgment that rivalry on the field is just that and some things are more important than the game itself.
Personally, I think that going for a beer with the members of the other team after the game does a somewhat better job of it.

This ruling needs to apply equally to every religion.
"Needs to". Yes.

Can you imagine the "parental outpouring of rage" if a "Muslim" coach attempted to lead a "Muslim" prayer when there were "Christian" players on the team?

I can.

The amendment applies to state and local governments via the 14th. The school district (government) established the law that you could be fired for expressing your faith.

The SC, rightfully, said - 'are you kidding?'
Coercing students into religious behavior as an employee of the government violates the first amendment.

🍿
Congress, nothing about state and local governments

"Needs to". Yes.

Can you imagine the "parental outpouring of rage" if a "Muslim" coach attempted to lead a "Muslim" prayer when there were "Christian" players on the team?

I can.
Go ahead, oh yeah not many ISIS in America

"Needs to". Yes.

I can.
Too bad. I say let the pastafarians eat spaghetti after a game if they want. Shoot, as a Christian I’d still want to join that. I love spaghetti.

Congress, nothing about state and local governments
Right, so if your state government passed a law banning the practice of the _[fill in blank with your own "religion"]_ you'd be perfectly OK with that - right?

And if your county government passed a law banning the practice of the _[fill in blank with your own "religion"]_ you'd be perfectly OK with that - right?

if your municipal government passed a law banning the practice of the _[fill in blank with your own "religion"]_ you'd be perfectly OK with that - right?

None of your business. Why worry so much about what other people are doing?
Neither is a woman's medical choices your business.
Sure there are. You can tell who they are, because they want to get rid of divorce, Gay marriage, Gays in general, abortion, etc.

Yes, I quite understand that you actually believe that all Muslims (including the approximately 3.45 million Muslims that live in the United States of America) are "Qu'ran Thumping Terrorists" and should all be sent to "The Camps".

Back
Top Bottom