• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High crimes and misdemeanors

Does calling for peaceful protest & claiming election fraud constitute high crimes and misdemeanors?

• Total voters
I think the Senate WILL convict. I also think that the entire process is patently unconstitutional and that the Constitution has been effectively nullified over the past 20 years or so.

On the GOP side I figure that Murkowski, Collins and Romney are definite "convict" votes. They are likely to be joined by Rubio, Rick Scott, Sasse, Portman, and Lee. Other distinct possibilities to vote to convict will be Toomey, Lankford and Fisher.
There’s always a possibility the ones you mentioned might. But these are political animals. They’re not going to bite the hand that feeds them. So if the majority of their constituents are opposed to impeachment it might be suicide for them. They care more about power than about right and wrong.

Any luck finding the source regarding constitutional scholars positions on the subject? Where they all agree?

There’s always a possibility the ones you mentioned might. But these are political animals. They’re not going to bite the hand that feeds them. So if the majority of their constituents are opposed to impeachment it might be suicide for them. They care more about power than about right and wrong.

Any luck finding the source regarding constitutional scholars positions on the subject? Where they all agree?
What do you want me to find a source for? You kind of list me there.

As far as "biting the hand that feeds them" goes, there is no "food" in the hands of the GOP. They can't do anything at this point and the past few times we gave them the power to do something they totally squandered it.

What do you want me to find a source for? You kind of list me there.

As far as "biting the hand that feeds them" goes, there is no "food" in the hands of the GOP. They can't do anything at this point and the past few times we gave them the power to do something they totally squandered it.
Post #74.

This is especially important to note as the Constitution expressly says that impeachment shall not extend beyond removal from office but if congress decides that they want to try someone for impeachment after they leave office they can damned sure do so!

This is America, mother****ers! Congress rules this bitch!

No one could accidentally make a claim that stupid. You're doing it on purpose.

Impeachment has always been possible after leaving office. It's ****ing braindead to believe the President can cross a temporal line and be free from responsibility. It's childish dreaming but, worse than that, it's inconceivably stupid.

The Constitution is clear. Past Presidents are clear. Impeachment can take place after a President leaves office. There is absolutely no doubt about this.

What's insulting is for someone to believe other people are so ****ing stupid that they'd believe "shall not exceed removal from office" means "cannot be prosecuted having left office".

That garbage is geared for toothless cousin ****ers.

Impossibly stupid.

Looks like you and I are on the same page. Almost like an echo. :)

Yep. If it were not for Trump and his base, many of these senators would not have gotten elected.
Now they're going to bite the hand that feeds them? I don't think so.

edit: add word, not to the above.

Yep. If it were not for Trump and his base, many of these senators would have gotten elected.
I’m still trying to figure out what kind of fool would vote for Romney.

Constitutional scholars disagree over this. I believe John Turley is one of them. Doesn’t matter though. It will never get through the senate with a conviction.

Since Mr. McConnell has described the vote as "a matter of conscience" there is a slim chance that Mr. Trump will set yet another first for American Presidents.

PS - The latest count gives a potential 67 votes to convict and that is one more than necessary.

PPS - The potential votes to convict is liable to change on a daily basis.

It's you people who are doing the crying and dancing.

Or...is that your "TDS" talking?

The thread is not about "you people". Nor is it about me.

Join in, you might find what we're discussing to be interesting; political strategy of the GOP senate, re: conviction of Trump

Since Mr. McConnell has described the vote as "a matter of conscience" there is a slim chance that Mr. Trump will set yet another first for American Presidents.

PS - The latest count gives a potential 67 votes to convict and that is one more than necessary.

PPS - The potential votes to convict is liable to change on a daily basis.
Yea, but the argument might turn on whether they should even be considering it once Trump is gone. Two more days.

I’m still trying to figure out what kind of fool would vote for Romney.

Such a moral, upstanding guy...

Pierre Delecto is Republican Senator Mitt Romney's "lurker" Twitter account moniker that has been used by the Senator since 2015 to defend himself to reporters and various Twitter users.

OIP.pB7CTQPA3XcYLQs5zoPYUQHaFn

Pierre Delecto | Know Your Meme

Discussing how the senate will vote does not equate to going back on the Trump train, but I can see how you are deliberately spinning to make it seem that way.

Have a ball!

Hey, just asking... For someone who's supposedly done with him, you sure have kept up your defense.

And I always have a ball! :)

Hey, just asking... For someone who's supposedly done with him, you sure have kept up your defense.

And I always have a ball! :)

Where have I defended him? I'm discussing the political strategy of a senate conviction, but if you weren't so interested in trolling me you'd know that.

Yep. If it were not for Trump and his base, many of these senators would not have gotten elected.

edit: add word, not to the above.

Bite the hand that feeds them? lol... Wow. I'm sure that many Trumpists are pissed to find out that some of the Republicans they voted for are not as shitty as they are... :LOL: Ah well, who cares what RINO's (aka Trumpists) think, amirite? lol

Welcome to the 'throw away your vote' club. We have stickers! 💕&☮

Indeed we do.

For the "traditionalist" we have

RHINO PARTY2.JPG

and for the "modernist" we have

RHINO PARTY.JPG

Remember, true democracy means that everyone should have an equal chance to run the government and that means that Senate seats should be awarded as lottery prizes (suggested ticket price $1.00). The disgustingly rich will still have the option to toss millions of dollars at the chance of winning a Senate seat, but the impoverished will also have a chance at governing the country.

Yea, but the argument might turn on whether they should even be considering it once Trump is gone. Two more days.

And that argument would have a large amount of "If we don't kill the first rat, then we are never going to kill all of the rats." in it. In other words "Does America give every outgoing President 60 days in which to attempt to overthrow the government and enshrine themselves in power without any consequences?".

And that argument would have a large amount of "If we don't kill the first rat, then we are never going to kill all of the rats." in it. In other words "Does America give every outgoing President 60 days in which to attempt to overthrow the government and enshrine themselves in power without any consequences?".
If you’re referring to a deterrenting effect you have way more faith in the system than I. Impeachment is a political game. Right now the Dems are cracking the whip, but for how long.

Where have I defended him? I'm discussing the political strategy of a senate conviction, but if you weren't so interested in trolling me you'd know that.

Please...your signature betrays you. It's the Trumpist version of "he loves me, he loves me not"....except it's "I don't like Trump anymore, but I like him enough to cherry pick what he said to keep him on a pedestal".

lol...but, hey, keep doing damage control, I'm sure he'll send you a personal letter of thanks, along with an invitation to chip in for his defense fund...lol...

In the words of your new president, "C'mon man!" :LOL:

In the meantime, that sentence will not save him, all the adults in the room remember the rest of his speech. Things like:

Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong.

You will have an illegitimate president. That’s what you’ll have. And we can’t let that happen.

And you have to get your people to fight.

And we fight. We fight like hell. And if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.

How come none of those gems are in your sig, Trix? The word "fight" shows up 21 times in his speech. The word peace? Only once.

Get why you're getting "trolled" yet, Trix?

Um, no. sorry. No cigar.
For a conviction to happen, there has to be clear convincing evidence that Trump did not want the mob to march up to the capitol and remain peaceful. The proof is in his words... He called for peaceful protest.

Is that you Rudy? Sounds like a defense he would offer up. Won't buy him anything though.

Non-stop diversion from anyone even thinking about the new old fat white racial segregationist new president Beijing Biden and the Nazification of the federal government. ANY diversion. No one like Joe Biden so there dare not be any mentioning of him.

Hey, did you hear about the most paranoid old pure white fat racist in America - Joe Biden - terrified that the Secret Service, Capital Police and National Guardsmen might assassinate him? What a nutcase. Biden will be the first literally demented president as his #1 first as a president.

Non-stop diversion from anyone even thinking about the new old fat white racial segregationist new president Beijing Biden and the Nazification of the federal government. ANY diversion. No one like Joe Biden so there dare not be any mentioning of him.

Hey, did you hear about the most paranoid old pure white fat racist in America - Joe Biden - terrified that the Secret Service, Capital Police and National Guardsmen might assassinate him? What a nutcase. Biden will be the first literally demented president as his #1 first as a president.

Can anyone translate this for me? I'm sure there's something worthwhile in here, I just don't speak rabid-tin-foil-hat-wearing-Trumpist-ese.

Back
Top Bottom