• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High cost has many diabetics cutting back on insulin

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From CBS News

More than one-quarter of people with diabetes have skimped on needed insulin because of the drug's soaring price tag, according to a new small study.

Surveying nearly 200 Americans with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, researchers found 26 percent had underused insulin because of cost.

But insulin isn't a drug you can safely ration, doctors warn.

"For people with type 1 diabetes, insulin is a lifesaving drug. Without it, people can die within days," said the study's lead author, Dr. Kasia Lipska, an assistant professor of medicine at the Yale School of Medicine.

"About 1 in 5 people with type 2 need insulin to prevent short-term and long-term complications, like blindness, kidney failure and dialysis and heart disease," Lipska explained.

COMMENT:-

Diabetes is NOT a condition, it is a lifestyle choice and so is taking drugs. I mean, people OVERDOSE on Insulin all the time so maybe it shouldn't be allowed at all. All those so-called "diabetics" have to do is to pray to Jesus and they will be healed of their unnatural lifestyle choice.

Right?

PS - I've just noticed that I seem to be channelling either Donald Trump or some whacko "fundie evangelical".

Time for a drink.

From what I understand, the actual production of insulin is now a rather straightforward process. I can't imagine that it costs more to produce than, say, Tylenol. Why are we putting up with manufacturing profiting so much off of the need of others?

Just another example of people (shareholders, business owners) getting fat off of unearned income while the rest of society suffers to fund their lavish lifestyles.

From CBS News

More than one-quarter of people with diabetes have skimped on needed insulin because of the drug's soaring price tag, according to a new small study.

Surveying nearly 200 Americans with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, researchers found 26 percent had underused insulin because of cost.

"For people with type 1 diabetes, insulin is a lifesaving drug. Without it, people can die within days," said the study's lead author, Dr. Kasia Lipska, an assistant professor of medicine at the Yale School of Medicine.

"About 1 in 5 people with type 2 need insulin to prevent short-term and long-term complications, like blindness, kidney failure and dialysis and heart disease," Lipska explained.

Diabetes is NOT a condition, it is a lifestyle choice and so is taking drugs. I mean, people OVERDOSE on Insulin all the time so maybe it shouldn't be allowed at all. All those so-called "diabetics" have to do is to pray to Jesus and they will be healed of their unnatural lifestyle choice.

Right?

PS - I've just noticed that I seem to be channelling either Donald Trump or some whacko "fundie evangelical".

Time for a drink.
Red and off-topic:
The important thing is that you did notice.

Why are we putting up with manufacturing profiting so much off of the need of others?

Just another example of people (shareholders, business owners) getting fat off of unearned income while the rest of society suffers to fund their lavish lifestyles.
Why? Okay lets just stop production. You need insulin? Produce it yourself.
People are not and should never be entitled to the product and services of another.

People are not and should never be entitled to the product and services of another.

Well then 'We the people' should elect those who would put the management of insulin under government control.

Because whilst we might not be entitled to products and services, some simply serve the public good. Insulin (and healthcare in general) is one.

The free market answer. Of course...getting rid of intellectual property rights is also a free market answer. But something tells me you'd object to that...

Well then 'We the people' should elect those who would put the management of insulin under government control.

Because whilst we might not be entitled to products and services, some simply serve the public good. Insulin (and healthcare in general) is one.
No, it does not serve the public good.
It serves an individuals good.
And a Government should not be in the business of depriving a citizen of their product or service.

These people live among us.

No, it does not serve the public good.
It serves an individuals good.
And a Government should not be in the business of depriving a citizen of their product or service.

It serves families and communities.

insulin production is an old technology. i don't see a good reason not to use the public sector to manufacture it. i feel the same way about antibiotic discovery and production.

How do you come up with such utterly moronic answers? Do you at any level consider yourself a member of modern society?

But imo life is better for all when we work together. At least comparing the more "entitled" Canada to the USA, life is far better for the vast majority of people in Canada. Better healthcare, better education, less violence, less poverty, less hatred, less racism, longer lifespan, etc. etc. In virtually all the categories I consider most important to a good life, Canada is a better place to live.

How do you come up with such utterly moronic answers? Do you at any level consider yourself a member of modern society?
You are not making a valid argument and frankly what you said is what is moronic.

Is neither moronic or invalid, so try addressing it.

Last edited:
From CBS News

Right?

Time for a drink.

Channeling another person just means you can't think for yourself.

But imo life is better for all when we work together. At least comparing the more "entitled" Canada to the USA, life is far better for the vast majority of people in Canada. Better healthcare, better education, less violence, less poverty, less hatred, less racism, longer lifespan, etc. etc. In virtually all the categories I consider most important to a good life, Canada is a better place to live.
No.
You failed as soon as you said better healthcare. You bought into nonsense.
If you want what they offer move there.

You are not making a valid argument and frankly what you said is what is moronic.

Is neither moronic or invalid, so try addressing it.

Oh lord. I really hope you never get type I or type II, it is tough enough without having to read idiotic posts.

No.
You failed as soon as you said better healthcare. You bought into nonsense.
If you want what they offer move there.

I live there. That's how I know it's better. Far better. Try and talk any Canadian into switching to an American based system. Very very very few will agree.

They did a poll in Canada on who the greatest Canadian of all time was. Wasn't a hockey player. Wasn't a Prime Minister. Was the guy who brought in Universal Healthcare...Tommy Douglas.

If you don't believe me, look up the facts. Canadians pay far less, and have better outcomes, such as longer lives, lower infant mortality, etc. You've just let others tell you what to think, instead of putting in the effort to learn for yourself.

Last edited:
To you undoubtedly, then again one has to raise their intellect and abandon your type of primitive thinking to understand what is a society, how it functions and what protections it needs in order to remain viable. The days when cavemen stood by the entrance of their cave guarding their crap are long gone.

Free market libertarian bull**** fails entirely in scenarios like this because the demand curve on "continuing to live" is infinitely steep.

Back
Top Bottom