• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

High cost has many diabetics cutting back on insulin

Oh lord. I really hope you never get type I or type II, it is tough enough without having to read idiotic posts.

So you're saying your disease makes another person your slave for their services. Boy, you really are showing your true colors.

Just let other private companies produce it. Only three companies are allowed to do it. This is blatant enrichment of billionaires at the expense of the sick.

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

It's a bad situation, for sure.

Why? Okay lets just stop production. You need insulin? Produce it yourself.
People are not and should never be entitled to the product and services of another.
I take it you don’t have diabetes.

You are not making a valid argument and frankly what you said is what is moronic.

People are not and should never be entitled to the product and services of another.
Is neither moronic or invalid, so try addressing it.
You’re a sociopath.

And there is a employment opportunity for you. Director of a non-profit diabetic treatment organization.
There are enough diabetics in the US to support such an endeavor.

But let me guess, you are not really interested in making an actual effort to help diabetics in this manner without placing a burden on others.

Once again, your guess is hilariously wrong. I expected no less.

Walmart sells Novolin for $25.

Once again, your guess is hilariously wrong. I expected no less.
1. Once again? Clearly you are wrong.
2. Really? Prove I am wrong. If not you are just being untruthful as usual.

From CBS News

High cost has many diabetics cutting back on insulin

More than one-quarter of people with diabetes have skimped on needed insulin because of the drug's soaring price tag, according to a new small study.

Surveying nearly 200 Americans with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, researchers found 26 percent had underused insulin because of cost.

But insulin isn't a drug you can safely ration, doctors warn.

"For people with type 1 diabetes, insulin is a lifesaving drug. Without it, people can die within days," said the study's lead author, Dr. Kasia Lipska, an assistant professor of medicine at the Yale School of Medicine.

"About 1 in 5 people with type 2 need insulin to prevent short-term and long-term complications, like blindness, kidney failure and dialysis and heart disease," Lipska explained.

COMMENT:-

Diabetes is NOT a condition, it is a lifestyle choice and so is taking drugs. I mean, people OVERDOSE on Insulin all the time so maybe it shouldn't be allowed at all. All those so-called "diabetics" have to do is to pray to Jesus and they will be healed of their unnatural lifestyle choice.

Right?

PS - I've just noticed that I seem to be channelling either Donald Trump or some whacko "fundie evangelical".

Time for a drink.

Diabetes is a lifestyle choice? Oh wait, I see this is sarcasm

1. Once again? Clearly you are wrong.
2. Really? Prove I am wrong. If not you are just being untruthful as usual.

My entire career has been in academic and industrial science. As for proving anything to you, it isn't worth my time. Goodbye.

You are not making a valid argument and frankly what you said is what is moronic.

Is neither moronic or invalid, so try addressing it.

Well then, we shouldn't pay the salary of the fire department either, as it is just a burden on everyone else. Next time your house burns down, please be sure to have the cash on hand for them to fight it, and make sure you are home at the time, or no more house.

My entire career has been in academic and industrial science.
Irrelevant to anything I said.
As for proving anything to you, it isn't worth my time. Goodbye.
iLOL You run once again because you can not show what I said was wrong.

This is so easy Helix.

Again.
But let me guess, you are not really interested in making an actual effort to help diabetics in this manner without placing a burden on others.

What manner was I speaking about? Starting a non-profit manufacturing and treatment organization.

So to prove me wrong, show you are involved in such.

A few pages behind, but perhaps you should do some reading on 99 year patents? Several of the synthetic insulin producing pharmas hold extended patents, so that generics cannot be produced.

When I was first diagnosed 12 or so years ago with Type 1 diabetes, I could pay cash for a 100 unit vial of insulin $119. Today, over $300. Same safety standards, same packaging.

https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/novolog

Well then, we shouldn't pay the salary of the fire department either, as it is just a burden on everyone else. Next time your house burns down, please be sure to have the cash on hand for them to fight it, and make sure you are home at the time, or no more house.
You conflate two separate issues and concepts.
If a building is burning down in a residential neighborhood, unchecked, it can cause other homes to burn down also.
Not so for diabetes.

If a deadly disease was spreading it would be a proper for the government to be involved.

That is odd. You agree with something I did not say, nor would I ever say that because they should exist.
If you want to take steps to postpone the natural outcome of life that is your choice and all the more power to ya.
But that is a personal choice and should never be a governmental function.

iLOL
The world that exists is one where illness exists and death is the natural outcome of natural life.
The individual reacts to things such as illness. This is nature and natural.
You are entitled to what is natural, which is providing what you can on your own. That is what exists.

The one you want to exist is the one where a government extends it's power beyond just governing to the detriment of those who are more successful.

If your stance is literally "let people die if they're too poor to live" then I really just don't know how to talk to you.

I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people.

A few pages behind, but perhaps you should do some reading on 99 year patents? Several of the synthetic insulin producing pharmas hold extended patents, so that generics cannot be produced.https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/novolog
Being a few pages behind is not an excuse.
They hold patents on what they created. That is fair.

Secondly, and as previously stated; "the first patent on a long-acting synthetic insulin expired in June 2014,"

If your stance is literally "let people die if they're too poor to live" then I really just don't know how to talk to you.

I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people.
Since when did caring mean having your earnings forcible taken to provide for others?
That is not caring.
Caring is volunteering your time, efforts or money to help those others.
Not being forced.

No one is entitled to the efforts, product or services of others. Period.

Taking any of those by force is extremely wrong.
That this even needs to be said is sad.

Well, I don't think "we" should stop production. That is up to the producers. If they are making money, and they want to continue, go right ahead. If they stopped, the prices would soar and others would start production to fill the void. No one is entitled to have someone else to make insulin for them, it is done freely, by choice. We have a market that takes care of all this.

People want to make bank, bro. There is so much demand for insulin, there would always be production. Around $127.00 for a vial? ($24.88 at WalMart) Yeah, they'll keep making it.

Well, I don't think "we" should stop production. That is up to the producers.
Really? Did you actually think I was being serious with that comment?
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy?

A few pages behind, but perhaps you should do some reading on 99 year patents? Several of the synthetic insulin producing pharmas hold extended patents, so that generics cannot be produced.

When I was first diagnosed 12 or so years ago with Type 1 diabetes, I could pay cash for a 100 unit vial of insulin $119. Today, over $300. Same safety standards, same packaging.

https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/novolog
That price sounds a bit high.

The fire department is a public entity that communities pay for by choice. Try running for mayor in your community on the platform that you are going to get rid of the fire department, see how much support you get.

The free market answer. Of course...getting rid of intellectual property rights is also a free market answer. But something tells me you'd object to that...

Insulin for diabetics was discovered by a Canadian, going off the work of a German, who had help from a Romanian. Over a hundred years ago.

As far as Intellectual Property rights go, Insulin should be in the public domain. Except that alot of property rights laws were changed so Disney could keep Mickey.

Also, most drug research is funded by the public, it wasn't til last year that private research funding exceeded public.

I'm a staunch capitalist, who believes 100 percent in property rights. But, I also believe that those rights do not extend past the life of the individual. In a merit based society, generational property rights is having a noble class under a different name.

Plus, having things enter public domain opens it up to the public to be changed and altered and reinvented. Most people don't realize this, but Disney steals heavily from the public domain. As do most drug companies. Who then use legal judo invented by Disney to bring a public domain property back under private control.

So no, in this case, Property rights are not being used in a fair and healthy matter as far as capitalism goes.

Since when did caring mean having your earnings forcible taken to provide for others?
That is not caring.
Caring is volunteering your time, efforts or money to help those others.
Not being forced.

No one is entitled to the efforts, product or services of others. Period.

Taking any of those by force is extremely wrong.
That this even needs to be said is sad.

The result of your ideals is dead people who didn't need to die. That this even needs to be said is sad.

Back
Top Bottom