• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hide your valuables! SHE is coming!

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
"She" was Queen Mary, grandmother of today's Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

Whenever she paid a visit to an individual or organization, the host/hostess would often hide treasured items, for Queen Mary would often express an appreciation for something, thus forcing the host/hostess to gift it to her.

Sometimes, the host/hostess was not intimidated by the royal presence.

One day Queen Mary drew attention to a particular blue vase among a collection of vases. The hostess did not say anything. The hostess then gave Queen Mary a tour of the house. As Queen Mary was ready to leave, she told the hostess that "I like them all, but I like that blue one best." The hostess replied, "So do I."

Source: The January 24, 2019, print issue of the London Review of Books, the letters column.

Back
Top Bottom