• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hidden Camera Footage Of A Gay Couple Dining In Texas

Neomalthusian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

"But overall, bystanders do speak up against our waitress when the gay parents are male. And those who do are extremely angry. A surprising show of support, when you consider that we did the same setup in the more liberal state of New York last year. And there, out of 100 bystanders, less than a dozen spoke up. In Texas, out of 53 bystanders, 24 voiced their support: about half. So at the end of the day, Texans have shown us, another side."

God bless those who spoke up. THIS is the real America.

I think this whole 'production is a crock. From what I can tell most of those who confront her ARE Gay.

I think this whole 'production is a crock. From what I can tell most of those who confront her ARE Gay.

How can you tell? Finely honed gaydar? Are you irritated that the video shows your fellow Texans in a positive light, standing up for diners who are being badgered?

Maybe you would enjoy living in New York? :shrug:

How can you tell? Finely honed gaydar? Are you irritated that the video shows your fellow Texans in a positive light, standing up for diners who are being badgered?

Maybe you would enjoy living in New York? :shrug:

I've lived in Austin TX for over 30 years, have Gay friends and customers, and can't stand displays of victimization that rarely happen in actuality.

Like I said, a crock.

I'd like to think that you're wrong and that the basic sense of humanity and community that are the core of Conservatism is what made the difference in Texas. You can be anti gay marriage and still be pro basic human decency.

Wow... You (almost) couldn't pay me enough to act like that waitress. Glad to see the world is evolving.

Are you the guy in the video who gave the waitress a high five?

I've lived in Austin TX for over 30 years, have Gay friends and customers, and can't stand displays of victimization that rarely happen in actuality.

Like I said, a crock.

The test isn't supposed to represent every day interactions, it's supposed to represent that (nowadays) rare event where someone acts like the waitress did. The point was to prove that despite Texas politics, most Texans are in fact very tolerant.

I'd like to think that you're wrong and that the basic sense of humanity and community that are the core of Conservatism is what made the difference in Texas. You can be anti gay marriage and still be pro basic human decency.

The whole thing smells of agenda pushing through the art of victimization. See my post #5

I could of told people that this stuff rarely happen in my state even though Texas is looked at with scorn by so many on the Left.

Wow... You (almost) couldn't pay me enough to act like that waitress. Glad to see the world is evolving.

Are you the guy in the video who gave the waitress a high five?

The test isn't supposed to represent every day interactions, it's supposed to represent that (nowadays) rare event where someone acts like the waitress did. The point was to prove that despite Texas politics, most Texans are in fact very tolerant.

I don't give a crap what it's suppose to prove, it's some bogus, pull at ones heart strings, agenda driven rhetoric.

And several of you probably cried like little girls after watching it.

The whole thing smells of agenda pushing through the art of victimization. See my post #5

I could of told people that this stuff rarely happen in my state even though Texas is looked at with scorn by so many on the Left.

Of course it rarely happens. Hell, I've NEVER seen it happen but that isn't the point.

Of course it rarely happens. Hell, I've NEVER seen it happen but that isn't the point.

Ifs and buts.....
There enough real issues to solve without this made up Hollywood hokum. Where's the Hurl Alert?

I don't give a crap what it's suppose to prove, it's some bogus, pull at ones heart strings, agenda driven rhetoric.

And several of you probably cried like little girls after watching it.

Whatever your agenda is, you just come off sounding like a whiney hater.

The study makes perfect sense: "What would the average American do when he is presented with extreme discrimination? Ignore it, or say something?"

Your ridiculous claim that discrimination never happens makes me think you've never read a history book in your life.

My agenda actually has very little to do with homosexuality and a lot to do with wondering why people in Texas (who presumably didn't know their intervention was being filmed) would so much more frequently actually intervene than, say, people in New York.

That's my agenda: why are people in Texas disproportionately upset when others are treated poorly, but those in NY, not so much?

The study makes perfect sense: "What would the average American do when he is presented with extreme discrimination? Ignore it, or say something?"

Your ridiculous claim that discrimination never happens makes me think you've never read a history book in your life.

I said 'rarely' happens...that' not never.

Go get a tissue.

The whole thing smells of agenda pushing through the art of victimization. See my post #5 I could of told people that this stuff rarely happen in my state even though Texas is looked at with scorn by so many on the Left.

Actually it is the very public statements and votes by the Texas politicians might be what gathers the scorn so many not just the left has for Texas you feel is heaped unfairly upon the Lone Star State.

As an aside, the city of Austin is looked upon as a liberal bastion in the state. 'Keep Austin Weird' T-shirts are a popular souvenir. Austin isn't indicative of much of Texas, a safe haven of diversity in an otherwise state who's greeting to new comers usually is, "You ain't from around here is ya." said as a statement and not a question. Some of my more 'conservative' friends in North Texas turn their heads to spit the taste of of their mouths after saying 'Austin'.... :peace

My agenda actually has very little to do with homosexuality and a lot to do with wondering why people in Texas (who presumably didn't know their intervention was being filmed) would so much more frequently actually intervene than, say, people in New York. That's my agenda: why are people in Texas disproportionately upset when others are treated poorly, but those in NY, not so much?

Because we here in Texas are generally good folk.

I've personally stood up to people being mean to others but, you set me up in some BS situation that could very well escalate into violence and I'm going to be pissed.

Actually it is the very public statements and votes by the Texas politicians might be what gathers the scorn so many not just the left has for Texas you feel is heaped unfairly upon the Lone Star State.

As an aside, the city of Austin is looked upon as a liberal bastion in the state. 'Keep Austin Weird' T-shirts are a popular souvenir. Austin isn't indicative of much of Texas, a safe haven of diversity in an otherwise state who's greeting to new comers usually is, "You ain't from around here is ya." said as a statement and not a question. Some of my more 'conservative' friends in North Texas turn their heads to spit the taste of of their mouths after saying 'Austin'.... :peace

You're not hurting my feeling talking trash about Austin. I was born in a small town in central Texas and don't live in Austin now.

I call Austin "The Kremlin on the Colorado" And I hate the Sooners. [spit]

You're not hurting my feeling talking trash about Austin. I was born in a small town in central Texas and don't live in Austin now. I call Austin "The Kremlin on the Colorado" And I hate the Sooners. [spit]

I hate the Sooners too... howsomever it was Texans who have to spit the taste of Austin out of their mouths, not Okies, I clearly said North Texas not SW OKlahoma... ;)

Not talking trash about Austin, am saying it is about THE most liberal city in Texas and you seem to acknowledge that with the Kremlin comment, so you claiming in your 30 years in Austin not seeing what those mean ol' lefties say about Texas is an observation in a highly liberal environment compared to the rest of the Lone Star State...

I hate the Sooners too... howsomever it was Texans who have to spit the taste of Austin out of their mouths, not Okies, I clearly said North Texas not SW OKlahoma... ;)

Not talking trash about Austin, am saying it is about THE most liberal city in Texas and you seem to acknowledge that with the Kremlin comment, so you claiming in your 30 years in Austin not seeing what those mean ol' lefties say about Texas is an observation in a highly liberal environment compared to the rest of the Lone Star State...

I didn't say I didn't see/hear the Left talking trash about Texas. Where did you get that?

Maybe just Texan history books.

The whole thing smells of agenda pushing through the art of victimization. See my post #5 I could of told people that this stuff rarely happen in my state even though Texas is looked at with scorn by so many on the Left.

I got it see and I said scorn as well... try and stay with what we both said... North Texas, and scorn, as far as talking trash about Austin- that was some highly 'conservative' folks in the northern part of YOUR state....

I got it see and I said scorn as well... try and stay with what we both said... North Texas, and scorn, as far as talking trash about Austin- that was some highly 'conservative' folks in the northern part of YOUR state....

So what's the point? I already know that.

My agenda actually has very little to do with homosexuality and a lot to do with wondering why people in Texas (who presumably didn't know their intervention was being filmed) would so much more frequently actually intervene than, say, people in New York.

That's my agenda: why are people in Texas disproportionately upset when others are treated poorly, but those in NY, not so much?
If you've been to two both places it's preety obvious to me in Texas there is a community that inforced it's own moral standards and punishes those who break them New York on the other hand is relaying on the government to set the standards and punishment.

1-Most people (even those that are opposed to gay marriage) believe in treating people with respect.
2-The 'bystanders' appear to be as scripted as the actors. But good on em.

I can't watch the video from work so all I have to go on are the comments you've made about it.

That said, I don't think you can take an example of what 54 people in Texas did, and what 100 people in New York did, and then extrapolate that out in order to make generalizations about either state in their entirety.

Where was the NY "test" conducted? New York City? If so, which boro? Out on Long Island? If so, out East, or in Queens? Westchester County? Por Jervis? Rochester? Albany?

In some very real ways those "regions" of New York are as different from one and other as NY is from TX.

I suspect that the same can probably be said about different regions of Texas.

You're talking about 20 million people in NY and another 28 million in TX.

I fail to see how 100 people in the former or 54 in the latter can be taken as representative of anything other than how a handful of people behaved in very isolated incidents.

Back
Top Bottom