• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hi

soot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hi all.

My name is Dan. I'm a new member here and a refugee from a "competing" political discussion forum where I'd been a member for the past several years. Nothing dramatic or juicy to report in regard to my defection, I just felt that the community was on a downward trajectory and that it was time for me to move on. I wish the remaining members nothing but the best and the door is still open for me to return there.

Anyhow, by way of introduction, I'm a competitive intelligence analyst in the financial services industry by trade, a librarian by training, and have a dual major undergrad in history/poli-sci. I'm also a veteran of the U.S. Army Infantry (non-combat, early 90s timeframe).

I'm happily married, have two little boys and an unruly dog, and we all live in the "mountains" of northern New Jersey.

Politically I'm pretty independent. Don't let my avatar fool you into thinking I'm a dedicated Libertarian. I was just dedicated to NOT voting for Romeny or President Obama this past election (though I did vote for the latter in 2008). For the balance of my adult life I've voted strictly for Republican presidential candidates but I'm all over the board in Congressional and State elections. I'm pretty eclectic in terms of the policy positions I take, with those beliefs/opinions being ruled by my conscience and intellect rather than by what some party has settled on as their platform.

Religiously (since it seems to be a topic of frequent conversation and frequent contention on political discussion forums) I was raised Roman Catholic and sent to Catholic schools as a boy. I maintained my relationship with the Church until my complete lack of faith (I never really had any) drove me to find better things to do with my Sunday mornings. I studied Biblical history in college because I think it's interesting but it means little more to me than Greek or Roman religious mythology. I try to respect other folks' religious beliefs until they start driving them down my throat, in which case I'm happy to push back. These days I'm more agnostic than atheist since I can't prove that there isn't a God(s) and I think atheisim is as much "faith-based" as any religion.

I look forward to participating in your discussions, getting to know the members here, and hopefully finding a place that I'm comfortable.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find plenty to entertain yourself here.

Sussex County by chance? Ex-Jerseyite of 25 years..... :wink:

Hi all.

My name is Dan. I'm a new member here and a refugee from a "competing" political discussion forum where I'd been a member for the past several years. Nothing dramatic or juicy to report in regard to me defection, I just felt that the community was on a downward trajectory and that it was time for me to move on. I wish the remaining members nothing but the best and the door is still open for me to return there.

Anyhow, by way of introduction, I'm a competitive intelligence analyst in the financial services industry by trade, a librarian by training, and have a dual major undergrad in history/poli-sci. I'm also a veteran of the U.S. Army Infantry (non-combat, early 90s timeframe).

I'm happily married, have two little boys and an unruly dog, and we all live in the "mountains" of northern New Jersey.

Politically I'm pretty independent. Don't let my avatar fool you into thinking I'm a dedicated Libertarian. I was just dedicated to NOT voting for Romeny or President Obama this past election (though I did vote for the latter in 2008). For the balance of my adult life I've voted strictly for Republican presidential candidates but I'm all over the board in Congressional and State elections. I'm pretty eclectic in terms of the policy positions I take, with those beliefs/opinions being ruled by my conscience and intellect rather than by what some party has settled on as their platform.

Religiously (since it seems to be a topic of frequent conversation and frequent contention on political discussion forums) I was raised Roman Catholic and sent to Catholic schools as a boy. I maintained my relationship with the Church until my complete lack of faith (I never really had any) drove me to find better things to do with my Sunday mornings. I studied Biblical history in college because I think it's interesting but it means little more to me than Greek or Roman religious mythology. I try to respect other folks' religious beliefs until they start driving them down my throat, in which case I'm happy to push back. These days I'm more agnostic than atheist since I can't prove that there isn't a God(s) and I think atheisim is as much "faith-based" as any religion.

I look forward to participating in your discussions, getting to know the members here, and hopefully finding a place that I'm comfortable.

Welcome aboard Dan. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself at DP. There are many areas of discussion available. Just review the forum rules and jump in the pool...

Welcome aboard, Dan. We look forward to discussing and cussing, even though your user name proves that you're actually a chimney sweep.

(yes, that was a taste of my somewhat bizarre and twisted sense of humor.)

Hi all.

My name is Dan. I'm a new member here and a refugee from a "competing" political discussion forum where I'd been a member for the past several years. Nothing dramatic or juicy to report in regard to me defection, I just felt that the community was on a downward trajectory and that it was time for me to move on. I wish the remaining members nothing but the best and the door is still open for me to return there.

Good afternoon, Dan.

:wcm: I think you're going to like it here! I migrated here at the end of January, and it's great!

welcome! hope that you enjoy the site.

Hi all.

My name is Dan. I'm a new member here and a refugee from a "competing" political discussion forum where I'd been a member for the past several years. Nothing dramatic or juicy to report in regard to my defection, I just felt that the community was on a downward trajectory and that it was time for me to move on. I wish the remaining members nothing but the best and the door is still open for me to return there.

:tink: Welcome to Debate Politics.

Back
Top Bottom