• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hezbollah vows to boost arsenal

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Hezbollah vows to boost arsenal
Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Lebanon's Hezbollah group, has vowed to continue to build up its arsenal to protect the country against Israeli aggression.

"The ongoing Israeli threat forces the resistance to continue to boost its capacity ... in order to fulfil its role in liberating occupied territory," he said on Monday in a rare news conference to present Hezbollah's new political manifesto.

"The Israeli threat ... calls for Lebanon to have a defence strategy built on the presence of a popular resistance that helps to defend the country against Israeli aggression and a national army that protects the country and its stability."

US threat'

Nasrallah accused George Bush, the former US president, of having turned the US into a threat for the rest of the world.

Israel denounced

In presenting Hezbollah's 32-page political manifesto, Nasrallah ruled out any chance of ever recognising Israel and insisted on the right of the Palestinians to reclaim their homeland.
:doh
Seems to be a sunny day in Lebanon.

I'll never understand how can the Lebanese people not see through the terrorists' lies when they were the same terrorists that have brought the war on them in 2006, attacking Israel during the time of a peaceful and quiet border between the two nations.

I'll never understand how can the Lebanese people not see through the terrorists' lies when they were the same terrorists that have brought the war on them in 2006, attacking Israel during the time of a peaceful and quiet border between the two nations.

I'm not an expert on Hizb'Allah, but it appears to me that the infrastructure that they provide to the poor Lebanese outweighs the cost of their foreign policy.

I think the other politicians realize that Hizb'Allah is not only more militarily powerful, but better at more "populist" politics in that region.

I'm not an expert on Hizb'Allah, but it appears to me that the infrastructure that they provide to the poor Lebanese outweighs the cost of their foreign policy.

I think the other politicians realize that Hizb'Allah is not only more militarily powerful, but better at more "populist" politics in that region.
I was hopeful that the Lebanese politicians were able to see that the only progress from siding with Hizballah would be a progress backwards.

I was hopeful that the Lebanese politicians were able to see that the only progress from siding with Hizballah would be a progress backwards.

Quite frankly I don't think they are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to be in control of their country. Maybe the Lebanese Civil war is too close in the rear-view mirror?

It nearly erupted in 2007, when Hizballah and the Lebanese government had clashes in the streets of Beirut.

It nearly erupted in 2007, when Hizballah and the Lebanese government had clashes in the streets of Beirut.

Without assistance Hizb'Allah would make the Lebanese Government look like children with nerf toys.

My position on this has always been the same.

As a Lebanese, I do not wish to make peace with Israel and do not wish to make war.

I just want us to leave them alone and for them to leave us alone.

The only possible negotiations should be for return of the Sheb'a farms (whoever those belong to) and the return of the prisoners.

Hezbollah then becomes an internal Lebanese affair.

I've had enough of their ramble !!! The country has enough problems as it is :2mad:

They want to liberate Jerusalem :roll: MY ARSE !!!

My position on this has always been the same.

As a Lebanese, I do not wish to make peace with Israel and do not wish to make war.

I just want us to leave them alone and for them to leave us alone.

The only possible negotiations should be for return of the Sheb'a farms (whoever those belong to) and the return of the prisoners.

Hezbollah then becomes an internal Lebanese affair.

I've had enough of their ramble !!! The country has enough problems as it is :2mad:

They want to liberate Jerusalem :roll: MY ARSE !!!

If you were not a victim of brainwashing, you would want to make peace.

Israel will not take any action unless provoked. Hezballah building up a weapons cache IS PROVOCATION.

Hezballah CANNOT and WILL NOT be allowed to cache weapons for attacks on Israel.

Israel will not take any action unless provoked. Hezballah building up a weapons cache IS PROVOCATION.

Hezballah CANNOT and WILL NOT be allowed to cache weapons for attacks on Israel.

Why do you need to use such baseless, harsh and most definitely insulting language such as "victim of brainwashing" ?

Have I accused you of being "dumb" ? no I haven't, so please do hold your insults.

Don't you think that my wish not to have peace or war with Israel is respectable and legitimate ?

Vader,

There could be many reasons, both actual and perceived, aside from "brainwashing" that could lead one to a conclusion favoring something short of a full peace. It seems to me that her position is one strictly of permanent non-belligerency (she can correct me if I am mistaken). That would still be preferable to what exists today if, as part of such a decision, Hezbollah is disarmed.

I agree. Unfortunately, as I had feared, the framework that ended the most recent round of combat was one that could only lead to the status quo ante. The bold statements made by some U.S. and UN diplomats that the situation would not return to its past status were naive given that there were no enforcement/verification mechanisms for disarming Hezbollah. Without enforcement/verification mechanisms there is little incentive for Hezbollah to disarm. Not surprisingly, Hezbollah is arming aggressively.

In the longer-run, Hezbollah's continuing to arm poses a threat to Israel, not to mention Lebanon's own internal security. The political expediency involved in the Lebanon Cabinet's 30-0 decision that supported Hezbollah's maintaining its arms was an attempt to postpone the fateful day where Hezbollah could pose a threat to take control of Lebanon by arms, if it so chose. Meanwhile, the Hezbollah buildup continues and, with the Cabinet's decision, one cannot rule out the prospect that Western aid to Lebanon's armed forces might be shared with Hezbollah.

Vader,

There could be many reasons, both actual and perceived, aside from "brainwashing" that could lead one to a conclusion favoring something short of a full peace. It seems to me that her position is one strictly of permanent non-belligerency (she can correct me if I am mistaken). That would still be preferable to what exists today if, as part of such a decision, Hezbollah is disarmed.

To put it in a simple and naive language, to make peace is to become "friends" and to me wanting to become "friends" with Israel would be hypocritical to say the very least, knowing that we have been enemies for so long.

I do have Israeli freinds who I love and cherish, they also understand perfectly well that I have no wish to see our state become friends with theirs.

I do not feel any love or admiration or support toward the STATE of Israel, so I won't be hypocritical and wish that we could become "friends"

As you put it correctly a position of "permanent non-belligerency" would suit me best. I won't come near you, don't come near me. Stay within your borders in the south and I will stay within my borders in the north.

"Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Lebanon's Hezbollah group, has vowed to continue to build up its arsenal to protect the country against Israeli aggression"

Well, Hizb'allah is nothing if not classic in their approach, as pretenting to protect the people they are conquering is such a time-honored ploy.

Too bad so many Christian Lebanese haven't figured out that the enemy of their enemy isn't necessarily their friend, and that throwing in their lot with such filth as Hizb'allah will only delay their own surrender to these totalitarians. Aoun may be playing his game only in order to achieve power, but he is playing very foolishly.

"Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Lebanon's Hezbollah group, has vowed to continue to build up its arsenal to protect the country against Israeli aggression"

Well, Hizb'allah is nothing if not classic in their approach, as pretenting to protect the people they are conquering is such a time-honored ploy.

Too bad so many Christian Lebanese haven't figured out that the enemy of their enemy isn't necessarily their friend, and that throwing in their lot with such filth as Hizb'allah will only delay their own surrender to these totalitarians. Aoun may be playing his game only in order to achieve power, but he is playing very foolishly.

It isn't that the cedars do not know this, it is that the hezboolah terrorists are recieving immense amounts of external funding, training, and arms, and without a major power doing the same for them, they would get overwhelmed in a conflict.

Oh but that's right, in 2008 the terrorists DID turn their guns on their fellow lebanese, right... :doh:

You're talking about conquering all of Lebanon, right?

as a start, yes.

Yeah. I think it's always good to have a plan. Unfortunately for Hizb'allah, I do not think the authority that their social plans give them in Southern Lebanon could be expanded to cover the entire nation. Regionalism is their biggest ally (next to Iran) as of right now.

Unfortunately for Hizb'allah, I do not think the authority that their social plans give them in Southern Lebanon could be expanded to cover the entire nation.
The authority of military supremacy covers a lot of ground.

Why do you need to use such baseless, harsh and most definitely insulting language such as "victim of brainwashing" ?

Have I accused you of being "dumb" ? no I haven't, so please do hold your insults.

Don't you think that my wish not to have peace or war with Israel is respectable and legitimate ?
Making peace is not becoming friends.
Signing an alliance is becoming friends, making peace is simply signing an agreement where you state that you would not wage war on the other side.

The authority of military supremacy covers a lot of ground.

I agree with you on this one. But, unlike Iran, I don't think mass public protest of a Hizb'allah's legitimacy and Hizb'allah's retaliation toward a mass protest would go by without interference.

I don't think Israel or the United States would sit by while an aggressive Hizb'allah legitimizes itself through means of violence.

Making peace is not becoming friends.
Signing an alliance is becoming friends, making peace is simply signing an agreement where you state that you would not wage war on the other side.

Making peace involves shaking hands, I don't want to see my government shaking hands with the Israeli government. I really don't.

edit: I'm surprised by your choice of post to quote. Was it intended ?

Last edited:
Making peace involves shaking hands, I don't want to see my government shaking hands with the Israeli government. I really don't.

edit: I'm surprised by your choice of post to quote. Was it intended ?
What do you mean was it intended?
I have directly replied to the last sentence in the quoted post.

Shaking hands will be involved in any kind of agreement, not only peace.
I think that your statement that you wouldn't want to make peace with someone who's an enemy is quite weird.
Yitzhak Rabin has once said, 'peace is made with enemies, not friends'.

Last edited:

I think that your statement that you wouldn't want to make peace with someone who's an enemy is quite weird.

The American South still hasn't and will probably never "shake hands" with the American North (and I hope it never happens), but we're still United.

nevermind for the "intended" the next post was where I went into details about being friends or not. No problem, forget it.

A agreement on a peace of paper of non-agression between the Lebanese government, the Hizbollah and the Israeli government will be more than enough. Also interantional forces on the borders to prevent Palestinian attacks toward Israel.

I don't want to see any diplomatic ties, cooperation of any sort and open borders.

let's just say, the kind of neighbours that we don't greet in the morning and invite over for a coffee, but we won't allow our dog to go and poo on their doorstep either.

Last edited:
nevermind for the "intended" the next post was where I went into details about being friends or not. No problem, forget it.

A agreement on a peace of paper of non-agression between the Lebanese government, the Hizbollah and the Israeli government will be more than enough. Also interantional forces on the borders to prevent Palestinian attacks toward Israel.

I don't want to see any diplomatic ties, cooperation of any sort and open borders.

let's just say, the kind of neighbours that we don't greet in the morning and invite over for a coffee, but we won't allow our dog to go and poo on their doorstep either.

Y'all won't be trusted unless you open up diplomatic ties. Israel gets smacked around too often by the unseen dangers that are "transparent".

Back
Top Bottom