• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hezbollah Chief Urges Lebanese Government To Build Nuclear Reactor

Why the hell would we care if it doesn't have an impact on us? Israel being an ally, and the region being our neighbor, it is only natural we intervene. There are too many problems on this planet to be humanitarian about every issue.

Anyway, to be fair, it depends where in Pakistan/India it hit, and even then, i highly doubt we would be affected that much, if at all. Chernobyl is in Eastern Europe.

Okay the nuclear reactor thing is irrelevant.
Tashah, nuclear weapons are for two things; intimidation, and destruction. It's only a matter of time before Israel adopts the latter. Considering the very volatile nature of the region, i find it a high risk game to give any a nuclear weapon. NO country in such a region can be trusted. Israel should not be an exception in a nuke free ME. Chances are Iran would cope with a nuclear attack much better than Israel anyway considering land mass. And when i say cope, i mean avoid ceasing from existence. It's in Israel's interest as much as it is the West to avoid all ME nations from pursuing weapons. Because if Israel ever did use it Iran will hit back, or if Iran used it first, well either way Israel looses out. If we could stop being hypocrits towards this conflict and pursued a more honest solution we'd have a bit more ground to stand on in terms of Iran.

As i said, no nation should be trusted with such weapons in an area of such conflict and sensitivities.

And if Israel first admitted to having such weapons, followed by destroying them all.....Iran would then quit its program and play nice, right?

Why the hell would we care if it doesn't have an impact on us? Israel being an ally, and the region being our neighbor, it is only natural we intervene. There are too many problems on this planet to be humanitarian about every issue.
It would impact you. You just don't realize this unpleasant fact.

Anyway, to be fair, it depends where in Pakistan/India it hit, and even then, i highly doubt we would be affected that much, if at all. Chernobyl is in Eastern Europe.
Who is "we"? Turkey? Radiation from Chernobyl reached all the way to Sweden.

Tashah, nuclear weapons are for two things; intimidation, and destruction. It's only a matter of time before Israel adopts the latter. Considering the very volatile nature of the region, i find it a high risk game to give any a nuclear weapon. NO country in such a region can be trusted. Israel should not be an exception in a nuke free ME. Chances are Iran would cope with a nuclear attack much better than Israel anyway considering land mass. And when i say cope, i mean avoid ceasing from existence. It's in Israel's interest as much as it is the West to avoid all ME nations from pursuing weapons. Because if Israel ever did use it Iran will hit back, or if Iran used it first, well either way Israel looses out. If we could stop being hypocrits towards this conflict and pursued a more honest solution we'd have a bit more ground to stand on in terms of Iran.
You and Erdogan are the hypocrites. Selective in your sanctimonious rantings. What is important to you two is only that which may have an impact on Turkey. Screw the rest of the world. Japan? So what. Nowhere near Turkey. Tajikistan? Tough luck being next to Pakistan. Doesn't effect Turkey. Iran? Not a Turkish concern. They'd only nuke Israel.

Selfish tunnel vision, pure and simple.

And if Israel first admitted to having such weapons, followed by destroying them all.....Iran would then quit its program and play nice, right?

No, getting Israel to admit it has them and then incorporating them into a plan of a nuke free ME would give us a lot more ground to counter Iran.
Obama should make his agenda clear;

international pressure on all sides to put Iran's nuclear program out of reach, while agreeing on the neccessary treaties to disarm Israel and stop Arab countries legally purseuing weapons in the future and bringing them into law ONLY ONCE iran's nuclear weapons program has been stopped. This way, Obama can actually pursue a nuke free ME with Arab support and place more pressure on Iran without being a damn hypocrite.

I don't expect Israel to disarm because of the current state of affairs in Iran.
But i do think the fact that they have them in the first place is a bad idea, that they where ever given it a bad idea, and that should somehow form an exception to a nuke free ME plan is a bad idea. Is it Israeli paranoia? Israeli attempts at ME dominance? Or do they genuinely want a nuke free ME?

Last edited:
Source: [url="http://www.rttnews.com/Content/GeneralNews.aspx?Id=1401348&SM=1]RTT News[/url]

Passing the Iranian nuclear baton.

The Lebanese can't even make accurate rockets. If I were the president of Israel, I'd say let 'em build their nuclear weapons. They would just end up blowing themselves up. Problem solved. :mrgreen:

It would impact you. You just don't realize this unpleasant fact.

It would not impact European security or American security, or at least nearly as much as a bomb in the ME's arse.

Who is "we"? Turkey? Radiation from Chernobyl reached all the way to Sweden.

Ukraine is a LOT closer, i don't know if you realized this.

You and Erdogan are the hypocrites. Selective in your sanctimonious rantings. What is important to you two is only that which may have an impact on Turkey. Screw the rest of the world.

Hypocrites because i treat everybody with fair judgement? What have i said here that makes me a hypocrite? And i wasn't talking about Turkey. I was talking about NATO. Why the hell should ANY country care about ANY conflict that has no relevance to us?

Japan? So what. Nowhere near Turkey. Tajikistan? Tough luck being next to Pakistan. Doesn't effect Turkey. Iran? Not a Turkish concern. They'd only nuke Israel.

I'm sorry you do not realize how international politics work. It's always important to emphasize humanitarianism in your own neighborhood. But why should we care what happens in say, Taiwan? Does Israel give a crap about what happens in Taiwan? It's the job of regional actors to step in and do something. NATO cannot do everything. If America stretched itself to every damn problem on this planet and every continent we'd be deployed in Africa, the ME, Asia and Eastern Europe. Sometimes it's good to be a bit selfish, for the sake of avoiding self destruction.

Turkey and America's pursue of a nuke free ME is precisely so NO country gets nuked, including Israel. We share the same park so we need to look after it. It's perfectly natural for Europe and the US to be in the ME, because we have security and sovereign interests there.

Last edited:
In the case of a Lebanese nuclear reactor Israel would simply do what it did with Syria and Iraq.
There's no threat here, the terrorists' only way of obtaining a nuke would be to get it from their supplying nation, Iran.

Ukraine is a LOT closer, i don't know if you realized this.
:2brickwal

And i wasn't talking about Turkey. I was talking about NATO. Why the hell should ANY country care about ANY conflict that has no relevance to us?
Are you this dense concerning nuclear weapons? We are all connected. The economic and environmental reverberations would be felt around the entire globe.

Turkey and America's pursue of a nuke free ME is precisely so NO country gets nuked, including Israel. We share the same park so we need to look after it. It's perfectly natural for Europe and the US to be in the ME, because we have security and sovereign interests there.
If the US and Turkey are so worried about Israel, then why have you allowed Iran to join the nuclear club? You say one thing... a non-nuclear ME, but do next to nothing to prevent a second ME nation from going nuclear.

You expect Israel - or even Hezbollah - to give a crap about what you selfishly desire after this decade-long demonstration of supreme impotence concerning Iran?

:rofl

:2brickwal

You honestly think a nuclear weapon would have major environmental impacts on the West? It will have an impact on the world, to a degree, but for us to a much lesser extent. Forget the fact you have completely discounted the weapons arsenal of both countries to evaluate the disaster (and the geographical nature of the conflict which makes it unlikely for both countries to engage in a nuclear war hence our lack of interest) but you have also managed to conclude it would have a profound affect on our own environment. I'm sorry, a nuclear war there is bad news for the entire world but a nuclear war in the ME would be far worse for us.

Are you this dense concerning nuclear weapons? We are all connected. The economic and environmental reverberations would be felt around the entire globe.

The ME is an economic hub of oil - you know - the stuff that fuels our economy. I can gaurentee you our security would be undermined FAR more by a ME nuclear catastrophe than it would in India/Pakistan. Why are you insinuating we waste our time with two countries who pose a minimal threat to us at best when compared to the **** that is currently stirring in the ME?
It's this attitude of "police the world" that has got us into Iraq and now currently unable to confront Iran because our economy is in a wartime mess and morale in NATO is low.

If the US and Turkey are so worried about Israel, then why have you allowed Iran to join the nuclear club? You say one thing... a non-nuclear ME, but do next to nothing to prevent a second ME nation from going nuclear.

Really?

You expect Israel - or even Hezbollah - to give a crap about what you selfishly desire after this decade-long demonstration of supreme impotence concerning Iran?

:rofl

Eventually the West will impose it's wants for a nuclear free ME, for the sake of the region, for the stability of the region, and for the security of Europe. Israel and Iran will both be part of this plan if you like it or not, and it will take military action if it means stopping Iran from obtaining it. It will only take so long before nations start imposing economic pressure on Israel to follow suite.

Last edited:
It seems a trend is starting. By all means this Lebanese group should not have access to anything nuclear. It's a dangerous thing for these nations to have nuclear weapons and a terrible mistake to let it go on unstopped.

Countries can turn though, much like Pitbulls. :)
I vote none.
I said global disarmament and you disagreed. Only the ME you said.

wtf

Countries can turn though, much like Pitbulls. :)
I vote none.
I'm sure they can, but even the Russkies were smart enough not to get up to any nuclear funny business. Belligerent isn't crazy. The Russians were belligerent, the Lebanese are crazy.

I said global disarmament and you disagreed. Only the ME you said.

wtf

Why concentrate on efforts to disarm the world? Not gonna happen.
Disarm the ME = good idea = more than possible.

It seems a trend is starting. By all means this Lebanese group should not have access to anything nuclear. It's a dangerous thing for these nations to have nuclear weapons and a terrible mistake to let it go on unstopped.

you take this stand that some nations but not others get to go nuclear
on what basis do you decide which states are and which states are not eligible to pursue a nuclear capacity?

Why concentrate on efforts to disarm the world? Not gonna happen.
Disarm the ME = good idea = more than possible.
You're about ten years too late for that. The genie is already out of the bottle.

you take this stand that some nations but not others get to go nuclear
on what basis do you decide which states are and which states are not eligible to pursue a nuclear capacity?

On the basis of national security and the intentions of such nations. Nations who pose a threat to security should not be allowed to go nuclear. Especially those that are unwilling to co-operate like Iran.

On the basis of national security and the intentions of such nations. Nations who pose a threat to security should not be allowed to go nuclear. Especially those that are unwilling to co-operate like Iran.

Israel aint cooperating either... so what is the difference?

You're about ten years too late for that. The genie is already out of the bottle.

Well this may just be my personal character coming out but i prefer action over defeatist attitudes.

Israel aint cooperating either... so what is the difference?

Israel isn't a threat to national security, and they are responsible with nuclear weapons. Plus, Israel never signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Israel isn't a threat to national security, and they are responsible with nuclear weapons. Plus, Israel never signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

National threat to whome?

National threat to whome?

Mainly to the US and her allies (like Israel) as well as others in the international community. Most of the nations in that area pose a threat to Israel anyway, and many are ruled by crazy Islamic theocracies/monarchies.

Of course Israel is under no obligation to cooperate with anybody like Iran is per thier NPT agreements and subsidary arrangements but I suppose no argument is complete w/o a lesson in moral and political relevancy.

Mainly to the US and her allies (like Israel) as well as others in the international community. Most of the nations in that area pose a threat to Israel anyway, and many are ruled by crazy Islamic theocracies/monarchies.

Iran doesn't pose a national threat to the US. It poses a threat to her interest's, which is a far more indirect threat. There are significant differences in those two concepts. Greater than her interest's to keep Israel as a strategic ally is the need for regional resolution, and the fact they are theocracies/monarchies doesn't make them exempt from any peace efforts. So in order to fulfill this interest its high time Israel is not molly coddled by Obama and that a more impartial stance is taken to the conflict so that America may have half a chance of successfully mediating the talks.

Iran doesn't pose a national threat to the US. It poses a threat to her interest's, which is a far more indirect threat. There are significant differences in those two concepts. Greater than her interest's to keep Israel as a strategic ally is the need for regional resolution, and the fact they are theocracies/monarchies doesn't make them exempt from any peace efforts. So in order to fulfill this interest its high time Israel is not molly coddled by Obama and that a more impartial stance is taken to the conflict so that America may have half a chance of successfully mediating the talks.

It poses a national threat to Israel and other nations in the region. The fact that they are crazy and militant theocracies and monarchies exempts them from the privilege of having nuclear weapons and a nuclear program. Iran signed the NPT, Israel did not. Iran has violated the NPT and not co-operated in regards to the treaty. They are run by a theocratic regime that many times has criticized Israel and denies the Holocaust. Ahmedinejad has talked about some kind of Islamic apocalypse where Israel must be destroyed. This is how I see it in regards to Iran.
1. Iran is a theocracy with warped and crazy beliefs.
2. Iran has made threats towards Israel and the leadership holds an apocalyptic worldview in the name of Islam.
3. Iran is not complying with the NPT.
4. Iran violates human rights, especially evident during the Iranian elections.
A nation like this should not have nuclear weapons, and by internationally bound treaty they are not supposed to have them. They agreed to this when they signed the NPT.

Now in regards to Hezbollah. Hezbollah is a terrorist organization. The Lebanese government should have this man arrested and locked up and not give any heed to his words. Hezbollah desires to wipe out the Jews and praises Hitler for leaving them the task of whipping out Jews. They have made militant attacks against civilian Israel and are classified as a terrorist organization.

Back
Top Bottom