• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hezbollah Chief Urges Lebanese Government To Build Nuclear Reactor

Tashah

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Hezbollah Chief Urges Lebanese Government To Build Nuclear Reactor
8/24/2010

(RTTNews) - The head of ultra-conservative Lebanese militant outfit Hezbollah has called up on Beirut to build a nuclear facility for generating electricity on the lines of the Bushehr plant in Iran, reports said on Tuesday.

Seyyed Hassan Nasarallah said that if Lebanon were to build a nuclear facility as he suggested, it could save the country huge amounts of money now being spent on procuring power. Besides surplus power could be sold to other countries in the region.
Source: [url="http://www.rttnews.com/Content/GeneralNews.aspx?Id=1401348&SM=1]RTT News[/url]

Passing the Iranian nuclear baton.

:rofl i'm sure that an "ultra-conservative Lebanese militant outfit " is interested in the electric aspect of it.

seriously, could he be any more blatant?

Guess they feel threatened.

I think we should concentrate less on stopping nations obtaining nuclear weaponry and more on saving ourselves from an attack.

I think we should concentrate less on stopping nations obtaining nuclear weaponry and more on saving ourselves from an attack.

naw, we should stop having a double standard for nations in the region. Then we could at least have an argument against them getting nukes.. for now, we have nothing but hot air.

naw, we should stop having a double standard for nations in the region. Then we could at least have an argument against them getting nukes.. for now, we have nothing but hot air.

That's true. I don't get why it pisses people off when Erdogan says he want's a nuclear free Middle East, emphasizing Israel. Obama want's the same only Israel slips under the carpet.

That's true. I don't get why it pisses people off when Erdogan says he want's a nuclear free Middle East, emphasizing Israel. Obama want's the same only Israel slips under the carpet.

I want a nuclear free planet, but as long as we allow any nation to hide its nuclear weapons program, then that aint gonna happen. Not to mention the whole hypocrisy issue by demanding one nation follow "the rules" where as another is not put to the same standard.

Why doesn't Erdogan say he wants a nuclear free planet? Why does he allow the US, France, Britain, Russia, China, Pakistan, India, and North Korea to slip under the carpet? He never said a word about Syria, nor does he ever bitch about Iran. Dollars to donuts he never says a word about a nuclear Nasrallah either.

Pretty selective righteousness on Erdo's part.

Why doesn't Erdogan say he wants a nuclear free planet? Why does he allow the US, France, Britain, Russia, China, Pakistan, India, and North Korea to slip under the carpet? He never said a word about Syria, nor does he ever bitch about Iran. Dollars to donuts he never says a word about a nuclear Nasrallah either.

North Korea? Are you serious? Stopping North Korea from obtaining nuclear weaponary has always been Turkey's policy.

Turkey condemns nuclear test, North Korea fires two more missiles

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/80812/turkey-expects-north-korea-to-give-up-nuclear-test.html

I thought that was pretty obvious since we have high level diplomatic relations with Japan and South Korea.

What about Syria btw?

The countries you listed are world power's and are responsible enough to hold nuclear weapons. No country in the Middle East however, a the centre of global and religious conflict, should have a right to obtain them (merely because of the current nature of the region), Arab countries above all and Israel included since she too cannot be trusted with them. If Israel was ever in the situation she was being engulfed by Arab states (the IDF is strong enough to protect themselves i dont see why this need for nukes is so great) then you can bet your arse most of us would step in to stop it. Your weapons are giving countries like Iran leverage to obtain them.

Iran is a different situation. Erdogan has not ever explicity mentioned that they have nuclear weapons but his party voted against sanctions to uphold a nuclear enrichment deal that has been agreed on a few months prior. His comments on a nuclear free middle east includes Iran, Syria and every other country in the ME. What has he said that gave you the other impression?

Last edited:

Oh, what argument will there be once they obtain it?

Oh, what argument will there be once they obtain it?

that this was the result of the failure to deny israel access to nukes

Source: [url="http://www.rttnews.com/Content/GeneralNews.aspx?Id=1401348&SM=1]RTT News[/url]

Passing the Iranian nuclear baton.

Maybe a nuclear free Middle East wasnt such a bad idea...

What about Syria btw?
Did Erdogan ever castigate Syria for their secret nuclear facility?

The countries you listed are world power's and are responsible enough to hold nuclear weapons.
I see. Tell me Kaya, have any of those responsible powers ever used nuclear weapons? And another thing Kaya, does any nation really need thousands upon thousands of nuclear weapons? How many is enough? Who is threatening the US with nuclear Armageddon? Who threatens Russia? China?

No country in the Middle East however, a the centre of global and religious conflict, should have a right to obtain them (merely because of the current nature of the region)
I see. So India and Pakistan are close chums? I could have sworn they were once on the brink of nuclear war.

Arab countries above all and Israel included since she too cannot be trusted with them.
I see. Then it's very odd that your "responsible power" argument is valid for everyone except Israel. Israel has had nuclear weapons for over 40 years and never used one. Yet somehow... she is different.

What has he said that gave you the other impression?
Isn't this the same Erdo-Ghandi that is buying Israeli weapons?

Lol. What a crock of hypocritical crap.

Did Erdogan ever castigate Syria for their secret nuclear facility?

The ones Israel attacked? What year was it and i'll get my sources.
Secondly the regions nuclear free Middle East foreign policy draw's no exceptions. Nobody ever said such a thing.

I see. Tell me Kaya, have any of those responsible powers ever used nuclear weapons?

Yes, Japan, WWII, and perfectly justified imo.

And another thing Kaya, does any nation really need thousands upon thousands of nuclear weapons? How many is enough? Who is threatening the US with nuclear Armageddon? Who threatens Russia? China?

No, which is why Russia and the US actively seek to reduce this arsenal. There is no reason to believe the US would decommission all of them when Russia does not promise too also. Why should we allow a Western nation to loose an advantage over Russia who clearly is not western?
We don't say much to China because there is no imminent threat of them using it, while Iran and Israel remain at loggerheads with the region and each other.

Nuclear Weapons - China Nuclear Forces

I'm not suprised if this issue pops up one day. But the West is in no position to speculate as there military specifics are so secretive. At the moment, due to the imminent threat, concentrating on a nuke free ME is the best thing.

I see. So India and Pakistan are close chums? I could have sworn they were once on the brink of nuclear war.

Firstly Pakistan is in no position to contemplate war, and even so, India and Pakistan are two countries who are large enough to absorb the devastation, whereas a nuclear attack on the Middle East would likely wipe out the majority of Arab states, including Israel and a good chunk of Iran and cause complete chaos in Europe which would in turn undermine NATO and American security. Pakistan and India can have a nuclear war if they like but they dont have enough to affect our region or international security hence are of no interest to us. It is why a nuke free ME is far more an attractive proposition to the West.
I see. Then it's very odd that your "responsible power" argument is valid for everyone except Israel. Israel has had nuclear weapons for over 40 years and never used one. Yet somehow... she is different.

Nobody in the region is responsible for one, it is too volatile and too heated a region to risk having such weapons. Tashah, its only a matter of time.

Isn't this the same Erdo-Ghandi that is buying Israeli weapons?

Lol. What a crock of hypocritical crap.

TAF is buying Israeli drones, not the AKP. Nobody tells TAF what weapons it can't and can buy. I dont see what relation this has to what we are discussing anyway.

What double standard is that?

Unless a person is mentally ill, they would understand why israel feels it needs to have a massive deterrant. Being outnumbered 100-1 by those who have attacked you multiple times in wars, have used horrendous, obscene tactics like suicide bombing to target your children, and belong to a cult that requires them to seek your destruction indefinitely - is obvious motivation.

Something tells me that if 500 million jews surrounded 4 million arab muslims, and had attacked them as fiercely and violently for the last 60 years, I am pretty sure you'd less likely to demand a "nuclear free middle east."

I want a nuclear free planet, but as long as we allow any nation to hide its nuclear weapons program, then that aint gonna happen. Not to mention the whole hypocrisy issue by demanding one nation follow "the rules" where as another is not put to the same standard.

Ugh, a person dwelling in a vaccum...is this representative of what a leftist is on this forum? I can see why I come here like once a week... :(

Israel included since she too cannot be trusted with them. If Israel was ever in the situation she was being engulfed by Arab states (the IDF is strong enough to protect themselves i dont see why this need for nukes is so great) then you can bet your arse most of us would step in to stop it. Your weapons are giving countries like Iran leverage to obtain them.

Another one with minimal facts.... try reading up on the 1973 War, and BTW, israel has had them for almost 50 years...

You mean 50 years ago, before israel developed nuclear weapons, there was peace there? :rolleyes:

Another one with minimal facts.... try reading up on the 1973 War, and BTW, israel has had them for almost 50 years...

No, officially they do not have them... which is the whole bloody point.

Unless a person is mentally ill, they would understand why israel feels it needs to have a massive deterrant. Being outnumbered 100-1 by those who have attacked you multiple times in wars, have used horrendous, obscene tactics like suicide bombing to target your children, and belong to a cult that requires them to seek your destruction indefinitely - is obvious motivation.

Something tells me that if 500 million jews surrounded 4 million arab muslims, and had attacked them as fiercely and violently for the last 60 years, I am pretty sure you'd less likely to demand a "nuclear free middle east."

You have only given Iran the current consensus and support it needs to build its own arms. That is all you have achieved. So if you think they where slapped and spat on before, well, its about to get a lot dirtier.

As Tashah said, they have had them for 40 years without using them once, today or tomorrow will not be much different. We can ensure Israeli security and achieve a nuke free middle east to secure our future generation.

The beginning of the end.

When you allow the non-evolving apes that run Iran, Lebanon, etc, to have nukes, it is only a matter of time.

Firstly Pakistan is in no position to contemplate war, and even so, India and Pakistan are two countries who are large enough to absorb the devastation, whereas a nuclear attack on the Middle East would likely wipe out the majority of Arab states, including Israel and a good chunk of Iran and cause complete chaos in Europe which would in turn undermine NATO and American security. Pakistan and India can have a nuclear war if they like but they dont have enough to affect our region or international security hence are of no interest to us. It is why a nuke free ME is far more an attractive proposition to the West.
So. Nuclear war between India and Pakistan is not actually that bad because it wouldn't affect you or the West's precious oil supply?

Are you crazy? Do you think the nuclear debris is just gonna sit there forever? Wake up and do some research on how many countries were affected by one measly Chernobyl reactor. If you're going to discuss nuclear weapons with me, you'd better do your homework.

Nobody in the region is responsible for one, it is too volatile and too heated a region to risk having such weapons. Tashah, its only a matter of time.
Not what you said kaya. You said Israel is irresponsible etc. The fact of the matter is that Israel has never used a nuclear weapon nor has Israel ever suffered a reactor mishap like Chernobyl or Love Canal.

If you feel the Arab nations are irresponsible, then so be it. But don't lump Israel into this irresponsible heap when the facts clearly show that Israel has indeed been responsible.

So. Nuclear war between India and Pakistan is not actually that bad because it wouldn't affect you or the West's precious oil supply?

Are you crazy? Do you think the nuclear debris is just gonna sit there forever? Wake up and do some research on how many countries were affected by one measly Chernobyl reactor. If you're going to discuss nuclear weapons with me, you'd better do your homework.

Why the hell would we care if it doesn't have an impact on us? Israel being an ally, and the region being our neighbor, it is only natural we intervene. There are too many problems on this planet to be humanitarian about every issue.

Anyway, to be fair, it depends where in Pakistan/India it hit, and even then, i highly doubt we would be affected that much, if at all. Chernobyl is in Eastern Europe.

Not what you said kaya. You said Israel is irresponsible etc. The fact of the matter is that Israel has never used a nuclear weapon nor has Israel ever suffered a reactor mishap like Chernobyl or Love Canal.

Okay the nuclear reactor thing is irrelevant.
Tashah, nuclear weapons are for two things; intimidation, and destruction. It's only a matter of time before Israel adopts the latter. Considering the very volatile nature of the region, i find it a high risk game to give any a nuclear weapon. NO country in such a region can be trusted. Israel should not be an exception in a nuke free ME. Chances are Iran would cope with a nuclear attack much better than Israel anyway considering land mass. And when i say cope, i mean avoid ceasing from existence. It's in Israel's interest as much as it is the West to avoid all ME nations from pursuing weapons. Because if Israel ever did use it Iran will hit back, or if Iran used it first, well either way Israel looses out. If we could stop being hypocrits towards this conflict and pursued a more honest solution we'd have a bit more ground to stand on in terms of Iran.

If you feel the Arab nations are irresponsible, then so be it. But don't lump Israel into this irresponsible heap when the facts clearly show that Israel has indeed been responsible.

As i said, no nation should be trusted with such weapons in an area of such conflict and sensitivities.

Last edited:

If they can't keep themselves from running with bombbelts blowing up civilians, then they're not grownup enough to have nukes.

Back
Top Bottom