• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hezbollah Chief Urges Lebanese Government To Build Nuclear Reactor

It poses a national threat to Israel and other nations in the region. The fact that they are crazy and militant theocracies and monarchies exempts them from the privilege of having nuclear weapons and a nuclear program. Iran signed the NPT, Israel did not. Iran has violated the NPT and not co-operated in regards to the treaty. They are run by a theocratic regime that many times has criticized Israel and denies the Holocaust. Ahmedinejad has talked about some kind of Islamic apocalypse where Israel must be destroyed. This is how I see it in regards to Iran.

I was not referring to nuclear weapons, but how Iran poses a threat to the US. And i noticed you pushed that comment out and rephrased that.

It poses a national threat to Israel and other nations in the region. The fact that they are crazy and militant theocracies and monarchies exempts them from the privilege of having nuclear weapons and a nuclear program. Iran signed the NPT, Israel did not. Iran has violated the NPT and not co-operated in regards to the treaty. They are run by a theocratic regime that many times has criticized Israel and denies the Holocaust. Ahmedinejad has talked about some kind of Islamic apocalypse where Israel must be destroyed. This is how I see it in regards to Iran.
1. Iran is a theocracy with warped and crazy beliefs.
2. Iran has made threats towards Israel and the leadership holds an apocalyptic worldview in the name of Islam.
3. Iran is not complying with the NPT.
4. Iran violates human rights, especially evident during the Iranian elections.
A nation like this should not have nuclear weapons, and by internationally bound treaty they are not supposed to have them. They agreed to this when they signed the NPT.

Now in regards to Hezbollah. Hezbollah is a terrorist organization. The Lebanese government should have this man arrested and locked up and not give any heed to his words. Hezbollah desires to wipe out the Jews and praises Hitler for leaving them the task of whipping out Jews. They have made militant attacks against civilian Israel and are classified as a terrorist organization.

Digsbe nailed the living **** out of it.

Game, set, match.

/thread

Digsbe nailed the living **** out of it.

Game, set, match.

/thread

digsbe was completely correct in his assesment and i applaud that. What he has failed to do is address my question, and it seems you have been unable to gather what that question was. Like disgbe, you have not properly read my posts. Please find the post where i said Iran should HAVE nuclear weapons? Thanks.

My position has been clear from the start; no hypocritical American BS. I want governments to pursue a nuclear free Iran with the promise of a nuclear free Israel and in turn, a completely nuclear free ME. If you don't like it, tough. If you prefer being a hypocrite, and somehow believe Israel is exempt from this responsibility, debate it here, so your views can be quickly and swiftly put down.

digsbe said:
1. Israel is a theocracy with warped and crazy beliefs.
2. Israel has made threats towards its neighbors and the leadership holds an apocalyptic worldview.
4. Israel violates human rights, especially evident during the Palestinian elections.

Fixed that for you. :D

My position has been clear from the start; no hypocritical American BS. I want governments to pursue a nuclear free Iran with the promise of a nuclear free Israel and in turn, a completely nuclear free ME. If you don't like it, tough. If you prefer being a hypocrite, and somehow believe Israel is exempt from this responsibility, debate it here, so your views can be quickly and swiftly put down.

Why? Nuclear power is a wonderful idea.

digsbe was completely correct in his assesment and i applaud that. What he has failed to do is address my question, and it seems you have been unable to gather what that question was. Like disgbe, you have not properly read my posts. Please find the post where i said Iran should HAVE nuclear weapons? Thanks.
My point was to parallel Iran with Hezbollah, I did address why I believe they should not have nuclear weapons.

If Israel was the only nation in the ME with nukes everything would be better. They are under constant threats from those around them, and having nuclear weapons is a very powerful deterrent of militant force? Why should we rid Israel of their nukes? On what grounds do we have? Israel, Pakistan, and India did not sign the NPT, therefore there is no legal recourse against those nations for having nukes in regards to the NPT. However, other nations in the ME did sign it. Israel needs nuclear weapons as a defensive deterrent of conflict.

Fixed that for you. :D
Wrong, Iran has violated the NPT.

Why? Nuclear power is a wonderful idea.
"With great power comes great responsibility" -Spiderman movie. Nuclear power is good, but it's only a guise to enrich uranium and make nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
I want a nuclear free planet, but as long as we allow any nation to hide its nuclear weapons program, then that aint gonna happen. Not to mention the whole hypocrisy issue by demanding one nation follow "the rules" where as another is not put to the same standard.

If you look at the world like a blank geopolitical map where every nation is every bit as worthy and meritous as the next, then yes, it'd be hypocritical to claim that some nations ought to possess nuclear weapons, while others ought NOT to, in a very decidedly forceful manner.

But that's not how the world works -- you have to look at the geopolitical map more realistically. Powerhouse nations like France or America or Russia have proven themselves "worthy" or "responsible" enough to deal effectively with nuclear stand-offs, nuclear weapon construction, nuclear power maintenance, etc., whereas nations like North Korea or Israel have NOT proven themselves to be trustworthy with such technology.

In essence, the Great Powers of today (France, Russia, Britain, America, China) DESERVE to have such powerful technology, and they deserve to be able to keep that technology in check within their own borders. So, I guess what I'm saying is, a nuclear-free planet is something not to be wished for, and the 'hypocrisy' you dislike about the current nuclear situation is one of the most important aspects that keep us from going back to the Stone Age.

You have a heck of a lot nerve talking about hypocritical America. Coming from a country like yours, I am not even sure how you would define that term. Has Israel talked about wiping Iran or even Turkey off the face of the map. Last time I looked Iran or turkey are not surrounded by many countries looking to destroy them. So it might be beyond your comprehension why Israel has maintained their ambiguous stance on their nuclear position.

BTW your saying at the bottom of your posts should be considered inflamatory. I am somewhat surprised that moderators have not asked for that to be removed.

To clarify from my previous post, I couldn't agree more with this. I think that Israel is a bully surrounded by a bunch of bullies -- Israel is absolutely no better than Palestine or Jordan or Syria or Egypt, and they should NOT be allowed to possess nuclear weapons. Israeli warmongering is grating on the nerves so much that even America is starting to edge away.

However, I still maintain that nations like France, Russia, Britain, China, America, India, etc., deserve and merit the possession of nuclear weapons, and should not be criticised for keeping them, as I saw someone earlier ridiculously doing.

To clarify from my previous post, I couldn't agree more with this. I think that Israel is a bully surrounded by a bunch of bullies -- Israel is absolutely no better than Palestine or Jordan or Syria or Egypt, and they should NOT be allowed to possess nuclear weapons. Israeli warmongering is grating on the nerves so much that even America is starting to edge away.

How is Israel a bully? They aren't screaming and praying for an Arab genocide. Nor are they electing Jewish Zionists that propagate the deaths of Arabs to brings Jews to heaven. They also endorse a 2 state solution, not a single state solution like Hamas. Israel is more like the intelligent jewel amid a sea of barbaric nations. A bully doesn't offer free healthcare to the wounded who hate them, they also don't warn civilians of incoming military strikes. They also give equal rights to all people in their country regardless of race. They even allow people to elect anti-Israeli MKs. You can't compare Israel to her neighbors and call them both equally "bullies."

Rather than bully, I prefer to use the term aggressive. Israel is aggressive due to the fact their neighbors are aggressive. However, Israel is better than "Palestine", Jordan, Syria or Egypt simply due to the fact that it is a democracy. Clearly the people of Israel broadly agree with it's actions in defending itself. This includes the acquisition of nuclear weapons and use of nuclear power.

Iran nor Lebanon deserve the privilege of nuclear power simply due to their stated intentions once they achieve it. The implications for a Sunni-Shia cold war should dominate international opinion on this matter and is entirely unrelated to Israel's possession of nuclear weapons.

How is Israel a bully? They aren't screaming and praying for an Arab genocide. Nor are they electing Jewish Zionists that propagate the deaths of Arabs to brings Jews to heaven. They also endorse a 2 state solution, not a single state solution like Hamas. Israel is more like the intelligent jewel amid a sea of barbaric nations. A bully doesn't offer free healthcare to the wounded who hate them, they also don't warn civilians of incoming military strikes. They also give equal rights to all people in their country regardless of race. They even allow people to elect anti-Israeli MKs. You can't compare Israel to her neighbors and call them both equally "bullies."

The sociopolitical workings of Israel are undoubtedly and without objection more refined and first-world than its neighbours -- of course! Please, I am not debating that. What I AM saying, however, is that for all its quasi-First-World claims, Israel still unnecessarily provokes its neighbours (the Gaza blockade, the settlements in Palestine, etc.). I apologise if it appeared that I was saying Israel is no better than Jordan or Syria -- I think that Israel, at this point, does indeed have the higher ground by defending against attacks, as opposed to attacking its neighbours without provocation.

However, it is important to note the dangerous sentiment in Israel that they have the MORAL highground in their struggle for their land, simply by merit of the Balfour Declaration and NATO backing. That's the dangerous bit -- the ideology. Israel is RIGHT in this struggle, but a large portion of that RIGHT comes from the old adage that Might Makes Right. If Israel starts believing that they're Right because they're Israeli and they're fighting the Muslim encroachers who hate all Jews, then you've got a major ethnic struggle that wanders off through history, all the way back to the bloody Stone Age, where no one was "right".

Get it?

Wrong, Iran has violated the NPT.

I never even addressed that, so I'm not wrong...

"With great power comes great responsibility" -Spiderman movie. Nuclear power is good, but it's only a guise to enrich uranium and make nuclear weapons.

I'm obviously against nuclear proliferation in general, but not when that means that some states can have them and use them as leverage against non-nuclear states. The primary reason that nuclear weapons are developed is deterrence.

Le Marteau said:
If you look at the world like a blank geopolitical map where every nation is every bit as worthy and meritous as the next, then yes, it'd be hypocritical to claim that some nations ought to possess nuclear weapons, while others ought NOT to, in a very decidedly forceful manner.

But that's not how the world works -- you have to look at the geopolitical map more realistically. Powerhouse nations like France or America or Russia have proven themselves "worthy" or "responsible" enough to deal effectively with nuclear stand-offs, nuclear weapon construction, nuclear power maintenance, etc., whereas nations like North Korea or Israel have NOT proven themselves to be trustworthy with such technology.

In essence, the Great Powers of today (France, Russia, Britain, America, China) DESERVE to have such powerful technology, and they deserve to be able to keep that technology in check within their own borders. So, I guess what I'm saying is, a nuclear-free planet is something not to be wished for, and the 'hypocrisy' you dislike about the current nuclear situation is one of the most important aspects that keep us from going back to the Stone Age.

Uh, this has nothing to do with "proving oneself".

naw, we should stop having a double standard for nations in the region. Then we could at least have an argument against them getting nukes.. for now, we have nothing but hot air.

We aren't having double standards, a nuclear armed Israel is to a nuclear armed Iran as a cop with a gun is to a mental patient with a gun.

We aren't having double standards, a nuclear armed Israel is to a nuclear armed Iran as a cop with a gun is to a mental patient with a gun.

How many wars has Iran been in in the past 30 years? How many has Israel been in? How many times has Iran used chemical weapons against civilians? How many times has Israel? How often has Israel's borders changed over the past couple of decades? How often have Iran's?

Last edited:
How many wars has Iran been in in the past 30 years?

They have been involved in several by-proxy including many of the wars Israel has been engaged in.

How many has Israel been in? How many times has Iran used chemical weapons against civilians?

Defensive wars against overt against overt acts of aggression many carried out by groups funded and armed by Iran.

How many times has Israel? How often has Israel's borders changed over the past couple of decades? How often have Iran's?

Israel's borders have shrunk significantly over that 30 years in the pursuit of peace not expanded.

Last edited:
Agent Ferris' entire post

Okay so you admit then that Israel is a much more unstable and dangerous place for nuclear weapons to be because of all of the conflict it is involved in. Thank you.

They have a much more stable government than the Iranian regime.

No they don't. I don't know how you could even argue that the Iranian government is unstable. They just survived the massive protests almost completely unscathed.

Last edited:
No they don't. I don't know how you could even argue that the Iranian government is unstable. They just survived the massive protests almost completely unscathed.

Ya violent crack down against peaceful nation wide protests is not a sign of a stable government. :roll:

Ya violent crack down against peaceful protests is not a sign of a stable government.

A successful one is certainly a sign of a stable government. When a state is able to crush dissent to that extent it is a very stable government.

Besides, Israel does this as well.

Finally, this is a stupid argument. The fact is that Israel having nuclear weapons is much more dangerous than Iran, regardless of how much more marginally "unstable" the Iranian government is. Pakistan and India are much more unstable than Iran.

Face it. You got caught admitting that truth and now you are attempting to cover up your embarassing concession to attempt to reconcile it with your anti-Iranian beliefs.

Last edited:
A successful one is certainly a sign of a stable government. When a state is able to crush dissent to that extent it is a very stable government.

Besides, Israel does this as well.

Finally, this is a stupid argument. The fact is that Israel having nuclear weapons is much more dangerous than Iran, regardless of how much more marginally "unstable" the Iranian government is. Pakistan and India are much more unstable than Iran.

Face it. You got caught admitting that truth and now you are attempting to cover up your embarassing concession to attempt to reconcile it with your anti-Iranian beliefs.

This whole argument that Israel has an unstable government therefore it is to be stripped of its nuclear weapons is complete horse****. The Israeli system of government is not unstable. That is has been repeatedly attacked is no reason for the world to attempt to claim they cannot build nuclear weapons. They have them and they are not going to give them up.

The world can stop Iran from building nuclear weapons. The mere fact that they claim that they will use them against Israel once it has them is reason enough.

Iran is the aggressor in this situation. Israel has every right under international law to preempt action for self defense.

First, I never said Israel has an unstable government.

Second, you have to be completely and absolutely insane to think that Iran would use nuclear weapons against Israel. To the point where you're not even worth addressing; if you believe that then that just shows that you know absolutely nothing about Iran or Iranian politics.

They have a much more stable government than the Iranian regime.

Simply untrue. Americans like to claim any government that isn't pro-West is "unstable" and "dangerous", but the fact of the matter is that Iran is a healthy, intelligent, rational and powerful state, that simply doesn't take any of America's bull like Nicaragua (etc.) does. And this pisses the Americans off, to no end -- the American puppet government was overthrown, and since then, Iran has flourished, which just spits in America's face.

So, Americans, you can claim that Iran is an anti-American government -- it is. You can claim that Iran is a Muslim nation -- it is. But you can not claim that Iran is a backwards, unstable, volatile terror regime, because nothing could be further from the truth.

Back
Top Bottom