• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hey right wing tightwads. How much do we spend on prisons?

I'm talking about the insane rhetoric you and others spout off constantly. People like you kill your own movement with extremist garbage that nobody wants to listen to, which discredits the real and valuable efforts of those who are intelligent and skilled enough to influence change.

You are talking out of your behind. I have said nothing radical or extreme. What is radical or extreme is throwing people in prison for a intoxicant that is safer than booze or cigarettes. It is also moronic and a waist of peoples lives and money.

How did you lose your jobs? Were you drug-tested? If so, did you not know the company's policy on this? The people I know who enjoy smoking weed don't if their employers drug-test...because they'll lose their jobs.

Stop defending BS policy. Drug testing does not prove you are high on the job or not. It has nothing to do with your job performance it is plain discrimination. If a drunk can work for you then a drug addict should be able to also. It is bad policy. Job performance is all a employeer should be concerned about.

:lamo
Is that what you think?

Locking up criminals is not a lost cause.

What is prison besides that?

It is society saying that we do not want the criminal amongst us at this time. They failed to follow societies rules, so they do not get to be free as punishment. That is what it is. And while some may be sitting around on their butts, that and having to be taken care of, is part of it.

Oh you law and order rednecks make me sick. The drug laws are wrong. We should not be sending people to prison for intoxicants. It did not work during prohibition and it is not working now. The law is wrong and must be changed. I thought redneck conservatives hated spending money giving people free healthcare,food and housing. That is what a prison does. 25 billion dollares a year to keep 2.3 million drug offenders behind bars is waistfull spending in the first degree and telling people what intoxicant they can or can not use is nanny state politics in the first degree.

Maybe it would be a good idea to explain what you mean by spending billions on the drug war. Are you suggesting all prescription drugs be sold over the counter, needing no Dr. approval, because many prescription drugs are sold on the black market. Is this part of the billions you say are spent on the drug war.

Are you suggesting that any prescription drug be sold over the counter to anyone at any age?

Are you suggesting that opium be sold over the counter to anyone at any age?

Are you suggesting heroin be sold over the counter to anyone at any age?

Are you suggesting cocaine be sold over the counter to anyone at any age?

Are you suggesting Barbiturates be sold over the counter to anyone at any age?

Are you suggesting Methadone be sold over the counter to anyone at any age?

Are you suggesting LSD be sold over the counter to anyone at any age?

Are you suggesting Anabolic steroids be sold over the counter to anyone at any age.

Are you suggesting that any athlete be able to take any drug at anytime to enhance their level of performance?

The point is, I have no idea what you mean by "how much do we spend on the drug war", first try and explain what drugs are you talking about. All of the above and then some or just one drug. What is it. Because I have no idea what your talking about.

Please tell me just how you liberals feel about letting anyone at any age get any drug they want just by asking. Tell me just how much money are we going to save by allowing any and all drugs to be given to anyone at any age? I would sure like to know.

Anyone over 21 should be able to buy any drug they want. Bottom lione.

So how much do we spend on the drug war? Billions a year. How much do we spend on puting people in prison fighting the drug war? Billions. Now tell me again how you conservatives hate spending money. I bet you even hate it more when it is spent on a lost cause. Oh thats right you only hate entitlement spending but what is prison other that taking care of people sitting on their butt?

Lordy, I'd give a pretty of I knew how much Federal income tax James Hill contributed to the system. I pretty, I tell ya'.

Lordy, I'd give a pretty of I knew how much Federal income tax James Hill contributed to the system. I pretty, I tell ya'.

I made over 45,000 a year for over 20 straight years and over 30,000 a year for 12 years. I was never rich but if you are trying to say I am just a welfare case then you are wrong. I have payed plenty. Washington state has high tax's.

I made over 45,000 a year for over 20 straight years and over 30,000 a year for 12 years. I was never rich but if you are trying to say I am just a welfare case then you are wrong. I have payed plenty. Washington state has high tax's.

What you MADE isn't as important as whether or not you're single/married/have dependents and are or are not a part of the 43% who pay no Federal income tax at all.

I look rather askance at people who call people like me who pay $15,000+ in Federal income tax (not Social Security, that's separate) a cheapskate.

What you MADE isn't as important as whether or not you're single/married/have dependents and are or are not a part of the 43% who pay no Federal income tax at all.

I look rather askance at people who call people like me who pay $15,000+ in Federal income tax (not Social Security, that's separate) a cheapskate.

You know what the worst tax of all is? Property tax's. They are the one tax that drives the elderly out of their homes. Conservatives are cheapscates. They bitch about foodstamps when the economy sucks. They bitch about unemployment benifits when the economy is bad yet they don't say a word about corporate welfare or prison overspending. They don't say anything about the military budget either so they are selective cheapscates.

You are talking out of your behind. I have said nothing radical or extreme. What is radical or extreme is throwing people in prison for a intoxicant that is safer than booze or cigarettes. It is also moronic and a waist of peoples lives and money.

Extremists rarely believe that they're extremists. You have to be able to admit to yourself that you have a problem, which you clearly can't.

I am just a B student. I was too lazy to work that hard in school. I am not a moron though and know first hand the damage done with the discrimination against pot smokers. Good workers have their job's taken from them for no other reason that the fact they smoke pot instead of drink. I personally have lost two jobs that way and it is not right. It has to end and will here in Washington.

So again, how did you lose your jobs? Were you drug-tested? If so, did you not know the company's policy on this? The people I know who enjoy smoking weed don't if their employers drug-test...because they'll lose their jobs.

Oh you law and order rednecks make me sick. The drug laws are wrong. We should not be sending people to prison for intoxicants. It did not work during prohibition and it is not working now. The law is wrong and must be changed. I thought redneck conservatives hated spending money giving people free healthcare,food and housing. That is what a prison does. 25 billion dollares a year to keep 2.3 million drug offenders behind bars is waistfull spending in the first degree and telling people what intoxicant they can or can not use is nanny state politics in the first degree.
Your position is marked by a lack of information and filled assumptions.

What you find wrong, others find right.

So how much do we spend on the drug war? Billions a year. How much do we spend on puting people in prison fighting the drug war? Billions. Now tell me again how you conservatives hate spending money. I bet you even hate it more when it is spent on a lost cause. Oh thats right you only hate entitlement spending but what is prison other that taking care of people sitting on their butt?

Your repeated use of the word "hate" tells me you need help. Find some soon.

I agree. Not all drugs are as safe as pot. I must ask you though. What drug is more dangerous than a half gallon of hard booze in the hands of teen's? Hell I bet even meth is safer than that possibility. What say you?

Dangerous to whom? A half gallon of liquor is a lot of alcohol. Most other drugs in large quantities are also dangerous. Cocaine, heroin, oxycodone and other opioid painkillers, methamphetamines, other amphetamines, ecstasy, bath salts, spice, hallucinogen mushrooms, inhalants... All of these things are potentially lethal.

People are not only in jail because of drug possession or intoxication, but because they break laws while intoxicated or in the process of trying to procure them.

You have not demonstrated that drug legalization would result in significant money savings in correctional systems, and you speak as though there are responsible users of hard drugs out there all over the place. Meth smokers, heroin injectors, OxyContin abusers, and young people using spice, inhalants, ecstasy, hallucinogens, and random prescription pills they found in their parents' medicine cabinets... none of these people are responsible, safe citizens. They're self-destructive, irresponsible, unsafe citizens with profoundly poor judgment. By definition.

Last edited:
Dangerous to whom? A half gallon of liquor is a lot of alcohol. Most other drugs in large quantities are also dangerous. Cocaine, heroin, oxycodone and other opioid painkillers, methamphetamines, other amphetamines, ecstasy, bath salts, spice, hallucinogen mushrooms, inhalants... All of these things are potentially lethal.

People are not only in jail because of drug possession or intoxication, but because they break laws while intoxicated or in the process of trying to procure them.

You have not demonstrated that drug legalization would result in significant money savings in correctional systems, and you speak as though there are responsible users of hard drugs out there all over the place. Meth smokers, heroin injectors, OxyContin abusers, and young people using spice, inhalants, ecstasy, hallucinogens, and random prescription pills they found in their parents' medicine cabinets... none of these people are responsible, safe citizens. They're self-destructive, irresponsible, unsafe citizens with profoundly poor judgment. By definition.

First of all a half gallon of booze is not that much for four adults. Drug dealers get thrown in prison who do not commit violence. They are just giving the people what they want and if you do not think the prisons are not full of people like that then you are wrong. 10 years for a bag of cocaine is not right. Plenty of resonsible people are addicted to pills my friend. Plenty use meth when they are out drinking and snorting or smoking coke. It is much easyer to pass a drug test when you use hard drugs instead of pot so many who have a good job that drug test use hard drugs instead. Booze is the most violent drug out there. It is the one that gets teenage girls pregnant with a guy she would not look at twice normally. Oh did I mention how many deaths come from smoking and drinking? 550,000 from cigerettes and 175,000 from drinking every year. Not even hard drugs kill that many. Legalize drugs and thow real criminals behind bars.

Extremists rarely believe that they're extremists. You have to be able to admit to yourself that you have a problem, which you clearly can't.

How is supporting legalizing drugs radical? 52% of Americans now support legalizing pot and 75% say the drug war is lost. Where am I being a radical?

First of all a half gallon of booze is not that much for four adults.

Yes it is. A half gallon divided by four is 473 ml, or almost 2/3 of a fifth of liquor.

Drug dealers get thrown in prison who do not commit violence. They are just giving the people what they want and if you do not think the prisons are not full of people like that then you are wrong. 10 years for a bag of cocaine is not right. Plenty of resonsible people are addicted to pills my friend.

It might be possible for a responsible person to become a drug addict, but it is not possible for a drug addict to be responsible.

Plenty use meth when they are out drinking and snorting or smoking coke. It is much easyer to pass a drug test when you use hard drugs instead of pot so many who have a good job that drug test use hard drugs instead. Booze is the most violent drug out there. It is the one that gets teenage girls pregnant with a guy she would not look at twice normally. Oh did I mention how many deaths come from smoking and drinking? 550,000 from cigerettes and 175,000 from drinking every year. Not even hard drugs kill that many. Legalize drugs and thow real criminals behind bars.

Many drug addicts are real criminals, and would be even if there were no criminal penalty for drug use or possession.

You caught me.

I definitely think there's a difference between funding legitimate governmental responsibilities and redistributing money to buy votes.

I'm all for saving money and reducing the prison population. We should let all the murderers, rapists, and child molesters go free provided they agree to live in only heavily liberal areas. Then we can stop listening to liberals whine about this being a prison state!

Anyone over 21 should be able to buy any drug they want. Bottom lione.

Why over 21, why not at any age, are you suggesting we have a war on drugs for everyone under 21.

I thought you were against the war on drugs, I guess you now have exceptions.

Another point there is not a country in the word that allows any drugs be sold freely to anyone of any age.

But you are for anyone to be able to buy any drug at any time from your local corner store. Except they have to be 21, WOW under your proposal the war on drugs continues. Have you ever figured in the cost of druggies costing the tax payer, housing and treating the druggies and all the dysfunctional individuals and families being treated by the tax payers. I'm sure you are not supporting Druggies and their families in the street looking for drugs they can't afford.

Or are you, lets see, a society being able to buy any prescription drug and any other drug like heron at your corner store. Have you ever thought of a person self administrating their self drugs to cure their own illness and they buy drugs that are not compatible with other drugs the may be taking and they die or end up in the hospital at the tax payer expense. So much for saving money.

But the most telling or your argument is you say anyone over 21 can buy any drug they want. So the DRUG WAR CONTINUES for those that are under 21. So we still have a DRUG WAR. You should clarify your statement that the drug war should be stopped for anyone over 21.

Prisons dump millions upon millions of dollars in the pockets of the people responsible for feeding, clothing and incarcerating people, and they get virtually free labor from the prison system.

The prison system is the most un-American racket in this country, and nobody cares. Because the vast majority of people in prison are the wrong color.

You are right, we spend too much. Felons should just be shot in order to save us time and money.

With some of the things that are defined as "felonies", that's an asinine position to take.

James D...

I probably mentioned this before, but if I hadn't I will now.

You get more flies with honey. Your title is just a little out of control. You are acting just like the gun retards who decided it would be a good idea to do open carry in Starbucks in Newtown. Don't throw it in the face of your adversary. Take the win, move on. Every time we push them down after winning, they come back to mess with us in another way. Just my $0.02.

We spend too much on prisons, that's why they should be more like labor camps forcing inmates to work off their stay.

Papillon_1973_mkv3.jpg

Papillon+%25286%2529.jpg

Back
Top Bottom