• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hey, I kind of like this!

dstebbins

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
As I read the constitution of my state (Arkansas), I see the phrase "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office of trust or profit in this state or be credited as a witness in any court."

While this is in direct conflict with the US Constitution's garentee of no religious tests, it has never been challenged, according to an article I read. I kind of like this, because I can use this to my advantage. If I get sued by an athiest, I can easily win by having my lawyer point out his religion and disqualifying him.:cool:

*sings*It's a beutifuuuuuuuuuuuul DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

dstebbins said:
As I read the constitution of my state (Arkansas), I see the phrase "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office of trust or profit in this state or be credited as a witness in any court."

While this is in direct conflict with the US Constitution's garentee of no religious tests, it has never been challenged, according to an article I read. I kind of like this, because I can use this to my advantage. If I get sued by an athiest, I can easily win by having my lawyer point out his religion and disqualifying him.:cool:

*sings*It's a beutifuuuuuuuuuuuul DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I don't deny the "being of a god". He just ran up a tree in my front yard with a mouth full of acorns. Now, about that lawsuit...:2razz:

hiker said:
I don't deny the "being of a god". He just ran up a tree in my front yard with a mouth full of acorns. Now, about that lawsuit...:2razz:
If you're not in Arkansas, you don't count. Besides, I have to do something to you for there to be a lawsuit.

Hey Stebbins, I am from Arkansas myself. I go to UAFS in Fort Smith; although I am deployed with the Guard now. I have never read our state constitution, but do you really want to announce to the world that you are from a state that is in the top 5 lowest states for education, college degrees, and high-paying jobs? Also the fact that AR is one of the poorest states in the Union? I would much rather trade religous perks for a state that offers high-end jobs and better education. Oh yeah, Go Hogs!

Cheers!

ddoyle00 said:
Hey Stebbins, I am from Arkansas myself. I go to UAFS in Fort Smith; although I am deployed with the Guard now. I have never read our state constitution, but do you really want to announce to the world that you are from a state that is in the top 5 lowest states for education, college degrees, and high-paying jobs? Also the fact that AR is one of the poorest states in the Union? I would much rather trade religous perks for a state that offers high-end jobs and better education. Oh yeah, Go Hogs!

Cheers!
I don't give a **** what people think of me, so shove it.

dstebbins said:
I don't give a **** what people think of me, so shove it.
oh, and in case there was any doubt, I came to Arkansas because of the peaceful environment. I wanted to get away from the crime of big cities, and from what I understood (and so far, it has been proven), my area of Arkansas is a very peaceful and quiet neighborhood. I just posted this thread for laughs.

I don't have kids, so I don't care about education as of right now. College degree? I've got one, thank you very much, though I'm not utilizing it all that well. Screw high-paying jobs, because the low cost of living makes up for that. We may be one of the poorest states in the nation, but that just means we get small state benifits.

So therefore, all of your arguments have been known void. Besides, we can always improve the state by raising minimum wage within the state. That way, we'll have higher-paying jobs, plus the government gets more tax dollars through the increased income and the increased commerce resulting in more sales tax. As long as we keep our minimum wages competitive, employers shouldn't be discouraged from setting up business here. Why the legislature hasn't done this yet is beyond me. I mean I know that the federal government sets minimum wage, but each state has their own, higher wage, so why AR hasn't followed is beyond me. Maybe I should write my legislator about that. But then again, they're out of session.:(

Hey, let's celebrate that a modern U.S. state has the same thinking and values that were revelant in the 1850's, that people who believe in God aren't good enough to be involved in community. Let's party now that you can use discimination against someone's religion can be used to get profitable gain.

liberal1 said:
Hey, let's celebrate that a modern U.S. state has the same thinking and values that were revelant in the 1850's, that people who believe in God aren't good enough to be involved in community. Let's party now that you can use discimination against someone's religion can be used to get profitable gain.
your name and your post contradict. You claim to be a liberal, yet you don't want change? What an oxymoron.

Hey. I'm from AR too. Everywhere from LR to Fayettenam to Jonesboro.

Simon W. Moon said:
Hey. I'm from AR too. Everywhere from LR to Fayettenam to Jonesboro.
that's cool

dstebbins said:
your name and your post contradict. You claim to be a liberal, yet you don't want change? What an oxymoron.
I was being sarcastic. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough (being sarcastic again).

liberal1 said:
I was being sarcastic. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough (being sarcastic again).
I knew that, but I am never joking. I'm a very literal person.

Back
Top Bottom