• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hey Conservatives...Could Obama win your vote for 2012 if he...?

Could you vote for Obama if he shared more of your Conservative values?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Objective Voice

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
After reading complaints from the Republicans on this board for over a year now the thought occurred to me...

If Pres. Obama shared more Conservative values would any Republican member here vote for him?

Example: If he supported gun rights?

If not, what issue would he have to embrace in order to get your vote?

He would have to embrace most of the issues I support. The only exception would be if he secured the border, enacted various laws to help local law enforcement crack down on illegal immigration, banned tax payer funded services to illegals, punished politicians on the local state and federal level who aided illegals,repealed part of the immigration and nationality act of 1965 that allows for the chain migration of relatives other than spouse or minor children, made it illegal for any politician to aid illegals in any way(amnesty,IDs for illegals, tax payer funded services and ect)and got rid of the huge vast majority or illegals then I would vote for Obama.

He would have to embrace most of the issues I support. The only exception would be if he secured the border, enacted various laws to help local law enforcement crack down on illegal immigration, banned tax payer funded services to illegals, punished politicians on the local state and federal level who aided illegals,repealed part of the immigration and nationality act of 1965 that allows for the chain migration of relatives other than spouse or minor children, made it illegal for any politician to aid illegals in any way(amnesty,IDs for illegals, tax payer funded services and ect)and got rid of the huge vast majority or illegals then I would vote for Obama.

Let me know when you find a Republican who would actually do that.

To get my vote, he would have to become a fiscal conservative, and we all know that's not going to happen, so I couldn't vote for him.

To get my vote, he would have to become a fiscal conservative, and we all know that's not going to happen, so I couldn't vote for him.

Would he get your vote if he decreased government services and increased taxes in order to pay down the debt the government has already taken on? Not trying to argue with you or anything - it's just that "fiscal conservatives" have many different methods of being fiscally conservative, and I was wondering which methods you'd prefer Obama to pursue.

After reading complaints from the Republicans on this board for over a year now the thought occurred to me...

If Pres. Obama shared more Conservative values would any Republican member here vote for him?

Embrace individual freedoms, demand smaller and more efficient government, responsible spending, deficit reduction...DO IT...not say he is going to do it.

What DOESNT get it done is out of control spending with no end in sight and and continual pattern of pissy whining and poor me I didnt know it would be so hard and after all its not my fault....

Would he get your vote if he decreased government services and increased taxes in order to pay down the debt the government has already taken on? Not trying to argue with you or anything - it's just that "fiscal conservatives" have many different methods of being fiscally conservative, and I was wondering which methods you'd prefer Obama to pursue.

This next election will be my first and I don't know who I will vote for. I can't bring myself to vote for a far right Republican(I don't think there stupid before anyone yells at me for it, I just disagree with their policies) and I can't vote for someone who spends money like he breathes air. It is quite the predicament for me... I guess my only hope is if the Republicans nominate someone who is more center-right then that will be where my vote goes.

This next election will be my first and I don't know who I will vote for. I can't bring myself to vote for a far right Republican(I don't think there stupid before anyone yells at me for it, I just disagree with their policies) and I can't vote for someone who spends money like he breathes air. It is quite the predicament for me... I guess my only hope is if the Republicans nominate someone who is more center-right then that will be where my vote goes.

Why does it have to be a republican or democrat, why not a 3rd party?

Why does it have to be a republican or democrat, why not a 3rd party?

Sorry I should have made myself more clear: I mean I could vote for a 3rd party, I feel as if I am throwing my vote away if I do, but if it comes down to that and not voting I will clearly vote for the 3rd party.

Well, frankly, he's not going to do anything of the sort, so it's really a moot point. There's also the issue of character that influences my voting, and he doesn't appear to be rating high on the scale there either.

Sorry I should have made myself more clear: I mean I could vote for a 3rd party, I feel as if I am throwing my vote away if I do, but if it comes down to that and not voting I will clearly vote for the 3rd party.

Other than the democrats and republicans trying to weasel out the competition this is why we are basically stuck with a two party monopoly. I believe in voting for the candidate you feel is the right man for the job. Not the candidate that is the lesser or two evils or who or the candidate you think has a better shot.

Other than the democrats and republicans trying to weasel out the competition this is why we are basically stuck with a two party monopoly. I believe in voting for the candidate you feel is the right man for the job. Not the candidate that is the lesser or two evils or who or the candidate you think has a better shot.

Thats great that you feel that way, I do also. But until EVERY OTHER PERSON in this country person feels that way it doesn't matter. The simple truth is a lot of the general public doesn't even know there are more then 2 parties. Also many people are told as children and then further on that voting for a 3rd party is a throw away vote. Now I would never vote for the lesser of two evils or who has the better shot, I will vote for who I think is best and if neither work for me then I will go 3rd party.

Thats great that you feel that way, I do also. But until EVERY OTHER PERSON in this country person feels that way it doesn't matter. The simple truth is a lot of the general public doesn't even know there are more then 2 parties. Also many people are told as children and then further on that voting for a 3rd party is a throw away vote. Now I would never vote for the lesser of two evils or who has the better shot, I will vote for who I think is best and if neither work for me then I will go 3rd party.

I would be fine with that as long as the money being spent was being spent well, both the debt and the deficit were being decreased, and, when the budget problems were dealt with, taxes were lowered instead of government services being expanded.

Under no circumstances considering most candidates campaign to the center or right and then have an about face when they get elected. Besides, D'Ohbama has already proven himself inept, surrounded himself with incompetents, and pretty much tried to get his hands into everything not nailed down......so not just no but HELL NO.

I personally don't know anyone who doesn't know there are more than two parties, though I do agree that most people probably feel they are wasting their vote by choosing a third party candidate. I will more than likely be voting for a 3rd party candidate in many of the future elections... but I guess it depends on who's running. Both parties have proven to me that they are incapable of working from the middle. Who ever has the majority runs the show. I think there needs to be a third major party (preferable moderate / centrist) to put these people in line. My second choice for a third party honestly would be a conservative party, as they are very passionate about balancing the budget, lowering taxes and ending entitlement programs. I just wish Republicans were actually conservatives like they claim to be...

Last edited:
I personally don't know anyone who doesn't know there are more than two parties, though I do agree that most people probably feel they are wasting their vote by choosing a third party candidate. I will more than likely be voting for a 3rd party candidate in many of the future elections... but I guess it depends on who's running. Both parties have proven to me that they are incapable of working from the middle. Who ever has the majority runs the show. I think there needs to be a third major party (preferable moderate / centrist) to put these people in line. My second choice for a third party honestly would be a conservative party, as they are very passionate about balancing the budget, lowering taxes and ending entitlement programs. I just wish Republicans were actually conservatives like they claim to be...

I agree with you about the types of 3rd parties, I think if a Moderate/Centrist party can't be developed a conservative would be most successful and appealing. Also I guess we may live in different areas but I remember taking an AP US Government class in high school and very few of my class mates new what a libertarian was. I know many adults(parents and friends of) who think there is ONE 3rd party and that is the "Independent" party, lol.'
I hope that the Democrats or Republicans can figure out what to do but if not I feel as you do that many future elections will have 3rd parties gaining my vote.

What you're asking for is a hypothethical with little practical sense. I say that because the level of which he'd need to alter his views to be able to get me to be able to support voting for him in 2012 would be SIGNIFICANTLY raised due to his actions over the past 18 months.

If you had asked this question 36 months ago it would've been simpler. Give me a candidate on the Republican side I'm not hot on, with a legitimate reason to believe Obama is going to attempt to be relatively moderate on most issues, not push any extremely strong liberal agendas, and legitimately work towards REAL bipartisanship where both sides ideas are attempted to be equally represented allowing new ideas fo flourish. I would say that could've gotten my vote for Obama in such a situation, as he's a likable and charismatic figure whose election I could have seen doing good things for the country while his policies were of such that were either verging from bareable to agreeable.

However, asking it of me now, there's little he can really realistically do. At this point he's moved so far to the left on certain issues, has done actions that have so angered and turned me off, that simply a shift to moderate would not actually do anything for me. Cap and Trade, the buying out of industries, the health care plan, the method in which TARP is being executed, his conflicting foreign policy with his foriegn presentation, his lies about being a change to politics as usual, his misrepresentation of post partisanship, his continued and pendemic desire to pass the buck, etc. At this point, due to no actions other than his own, it would take a complete and utter 180 for him to get near my vote.

I voted for him last time because he was the best of the two credible candidates in the race. That doesn't mean I liked him then, or like him now, he was just better than the McCain/Palin ticket. I spend almost all of my time voting against people, there is rarely, if ever, someone running in any political race, that I can actually support. All he has to do to get my support in 2012 is to be better than whatever religious zealot the Republican party puts up.

I agree with you about the types of 3rd parties, I think if a Moderate/Centrist party can't be developed a conservative would be most successful and appealing. Also I guess we may live in different areas but I remember taking an AP US Government class in high school and very few of my class mates new what a libertarian was. I know many adults(parents and friends of) who think there is ONE 3rd party and that is the "Independent" party, lol.'
I hope that the Democrats or Republicans can figure out what to do but if not I feel as you do that many future elections will have 3rd parties gaining my vote.

"Conservatives" Are Single-Largest Ideological Group

Moderates and Conservatives, according to this Gallup poll have been making up pretty equal percentages of the population. I'm usually not one to use polls to justify my arguments since the poll isn't guaranteed to be right, but many people claim the majority of the population are either moderate, centrist or independent. And if we had a Conservative third party that would throw the balance of politics out of wack, giving conservatives an endless majority (since Republicans are more conservative than liberal). This is why I'd prefer Republicans be more conservative and we adopt a Moderate third party.

To be frank, most kids and young adults don't know **** about the world and politics because they haven't reached to the real world yet. Kudos to you for getting interested earlier than most.

As for the parents, I will weep for them.

"Conservatives" Are Single-Largest Ideological Group

Moderates and Conservatives, according to this Gallup poll have been making up pretty equal percentages of the population. I'm usually not one to use polls to justify my arguments since the poll isn't guaranteed to be right, but many people claim the majority of the population are either moderate, centrist or independent. And if we had a Conservative third party that would throw the balance of politics out of wack, giving conservatives an endless majority (since Republicans are more conservative than liberal). This is why I'd prefer Republicans be more conservative and we adopt a Moderate third party.

To be frank, most kids and young adults don't know **** about the world and politics because they haven't reached to the real world yet. Kudos to you for getting interested earlier than most.

As for the parents, I will weep for them.

I would weep for happiness if a centrist/moderate/middle(whatever you wanna call it) party developed. I just feel more at home with those beliefs. I understand both sides(Dems and Repubs) but I just think both sides have their crazies that are too crazy for me.

Thank you for the compliment. And I will tell you right now I don't know **** about the world and politics, but for whatever reason I am really interested in it and love it :) Also, your point is very correct about kids not knowing anything about politics, and the fact is that when they reach adulthood we probably do learn and recognize/realize more.

No, he could not earn my vote now under any circumstance. He has already proven himself to be inept, dishonest and ethically questionable. No amount of pandering to my philosophies would make me trust him with another term.

Your example is interesting, as there isn't a hope in hell for him to change his stance on guns. John Lott tried to engage him at Harvard, but got the arrogant one's cold shoulder.

There is nothing this guy could do to vote for him.
He's not credible, and has proven himself to be incapable as an executive.

It's 866 days to election day.
Can't come soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom