• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's Why U.S. Tactical Nukes Are a Bad Idea.

as, indeed, a Spanish intervention in the Texas Revolution would have forced President Jackson's hand.

OMG, really? Have you gone completely off the deep end here and into an LSD influenced fantasyland?

"Spanish influence in the Texas Revolution"? Are you completely mad?

Spain had been out of Mexico for decades by that point, and Spain itself was far to busy trying to recover from their occupation by France to even give a damn about what happened to a former colony of theirs.

Holy crap, I am taking you less and less seriously every time you post something. Might as well say that the US might be concerned about a British Intervention during the Mexican-American War.

No, the Spanish had no interest in the Texas Revolution. They pretty much washed their hands of Mexico after 1814.

Please, oh please give us some kind of reference regarding Spain getting involved in the Texas Revolution, and that President Jackson sent forces there because of this.

In other words, proof or STFU.

OMG, really? Have you gone completely off the deep end here and into an LSD influenced fantasyland?

"Spanish influence in the Texas Revolution"? Are you completely mad?

Spain had been out of Mexico for decades by that point, and Spain itself was far to busy trying to recover from their occupation by France to even give a damn about what happened to a former colony of theirs.

Holy crap, I am taking you less and less seriously every time you post something. Might as well say that the US might be concerned about a British Intervention during the Mexican-American War.

No, the Spanish had no interest in the Texas Revolution. They pretty much washed their hands of Mexico after 1814.

Please, oh please give us some kind of reference regarding Spain getting involved in the Texas Revolution, and that President Jackson sent forces there because of this.

In other words, proof or STFU.

It's obviously a hypothetical scenario.... just like the US actively intervening in the Ukraine is a hypothetical scenario.

This is why I am more and more considering leaving this forum. The actual debate is about tactical nukes, but somehow we have gone completely off the rails, with somebody with almost no comprehension of actual history going on and on and failing at almost every turn because of what they think. Instead of actually bothering to research anything.

I have almost always ignored the political arenas here, and stuck to things like history, science, and military. Where actual politics should matter very little, and largely it is facts that should matter. But more and more I am finding that petty political individuals keep crawling down here, and it is not longer anywhere near as enjoyable as it was when I started.

Mostly, what I find is that the level of debate (not argument) has declined more and more every year. No references, or people taking things so badly out of context it is completely laughable. And if they are unable to back up their claims, they then drag the discussion into something else where it is soon obvious that they know even less than the original topic.

Tis a pity.

I have learned a lot from you and other posters over the years.. Sometimes while sitting back and watching the interaction between others. Sometimes after I have been corrected on a point or two.

If you leave you will be missed.

Tis a pity.

I have learned a lot from you and other posters over the years.. Sometimes while sitting back and watching the interaction between others. Sometimes after I have been corrected on a point or two.

If you leave you will be missed.

I am just so sick of all these nonsensical political posts being vomited everywhere that they are not appropriate. Throwing out a lot of nonsense over and over, then after being called on it screaming "it is only hypothetical". No, it is not. A hypothetical statement when talking about history is one that would at least have a basis in fact. And if an argument is entirely hypothetical when talking about something real world, then it is simply a fantasy.

What if the lizard men from Tau Ceti II arrived in the middle of the Second World War, and decided to take over the world? If that happened, then the Nazi powers would be seen as the good guys, and the US would ally with them.

So you see, the Nazis really are the good guys.

At least what I just posted actually has an actual reference in the real world. *laugh*

I am just so sick of all these nonsensical political posts being vomited everywhere that they are not appropriate. Throwing out a lot of nonsense over and over, then after being called on it screaming "it is only hypothetical". No, it is not. A hypothetical statement when talking about history is one that would at least have a basis in fact. And if an argument is entirely hypothetical when talking about something real world, then it is simply a fantasy.

What if the lizard men from Tau Ceti II arrived in the middle of the Second World War, and decided to take over the world? If that happened, then the Nazi powers would be seen as the good guys, and the US would ally with them.

So you see, the Nazis really are the good guys.

At least what I just posted actually has an actual reference in the real world. *laugh*

You read that book series too? :cool:

You read that book series too? :cool:

I was wondering if anybody else would get the reference. Yes, I have been a fan of Turtledove for decades.

And one of the things I love about his works is that he can take a single seemingly minor change in history, and then plot all of the changes that come because of it. Stop a single order from being lost during the Civil War, and then you have the US siding with a victorious German Empire, and the Confederates becoming a replacement Nazi Regime. Or have Lizards from Tau Ceti II arrive, and all of the alliances we knew go out the window.

Or even have the Japanese decide to postpone the occupation of the Philippines to invade Hawaii, or a more adamant England refusing to allow Germany to simply peacefully occupy Czechoslovakia. Then you have WWII starting before even Hitler was ready.

One thing I do try to emulate Mr. Turtledove is in trying to predict not only the reactions of changes, but the things that follow afterwards. Far to many simply go "Well, if Normandy failed, the Allies loose". That is not even close, especially since by that time they were already deep into Italy. They simply would have concentrated on the Southern Front, and likely ignored the Western Front.

Back
Top Bottom