• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's The Most Cynical Reason People Think Jeff Bezos Bought The Washington Post

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Back in the day, Microsoft pretty much ignored what was going on in Washington, DC. Then they got tangled up in anti-trust conflicts and realized they could no longer ignore politics. Now they have one of the biggest lobbying efforts of any company there.

Bezos did much better than hire a lobbying firm. He bought a big muscular political player on steroids, the Washington Post.

The politicians and bureaucrats are a lot less likely to mess with Bezos now.

"....In his letter to employees, he said, "The values of The Post do not need changing. The paper’s duty will remain to its readers and not to the private interests of its owners."

Perhaps we're naive, but it sure doesn't sound like he wants to use the Post to broadcast his world view."

What is Bezo's world view, anyway?

I think your question killed the thread somehow.

Oh dear. lol

So far all I know about Bezo's world view is that it is a long one. Meaning he likes to think years, sometimes centuries ahead....so much so that he's building a 10,000 year clock in the side of a mountain that only chimes once a century. His other venture is to rocket private citizens into space. So why he wants a newspaper is a mystery to almost everyone...including himself, apparently. He just says he want to "experiment" with it. If he can save a dying medium like print newspaper and make it successful online that could be a good thing, imo. 30% of Wapo's readers already read it online.

Oh dear. lol

So far all I know about Bezo's world view is that it is a long one. Meaning he likes to think years, sometimes centuries ahead....so much so that he's building a 10,000 year clock in the side of a mountain that only chimes once a century. His other venture is to rocket private citizens into space. So why he wants a newspaper is a mystery to almost everyone...including himself, apparently. He just says he want to "experiment" with it. If he can save a dying medium like print newspaper and make it successful online that could be a good thing, imo. 30% of Wapo's readers already read it online.

I also read that he is quite the libertarian.

It is traditional for some rich families to have a pet newspaper. It can come in handy in case of a scandal.

It is traditional for some rich families to have a pet newspaper. It can come in handy in case of a scandal.

Man, the Clintons should have bought one years ago

Envy is such an ugly emotion. If tea partiers work real hard and get an education, maybe Bezo's will hire some of them and they too can get off welfare.

Oh dear. lol

Isn't it elong musk who is designing rockets into space?

Isn't it elong musk who is designing rockets into space?

Bezo's probably has enough money to hire elong musk to design rockets. I doubt he could do it all by himself.

Apparently, he had a rocket launch pad built near his house.

Sorry, I didn't know who Elon Musk was or that he was competing with Bezo's space adventures. But when I saw Tesla Motors then I remembered who he was.

founder of PayPal. owns the spacex program.

Back in the day, Microsoft pretty much ignored what was going on in Washington, DC. Then they got tangled up in anti-trust conflicts and realized they could no longer ignore politics. Now they have one of the biggest lobbying efforts of any company there.

Bezos did much better than hire a lobbying firm. He bought a big muscular political player on steroids, the Washington Post.

The politicians and bureaucrats are a lot less likely to mess with Bezos now.

Information is power. So the control of information is the control of power. Google controls 65% of internet searches that is to much control of information for one company that is to much control of power.

Back
Top Bottom