• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's how coronavirus spread inside a government office in Florida — and how one official says it stopped

minnie616

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Officials in Manatee County, Florida, were able to identify the patient zero in a recent outbreak of the coronavirus that swept through a government building and left two employees dead and several hospitalized, all of whom were unvaccinated.

Officials learned through contact tracing that the patient, an employee in the IT department, was infected by an unknown contact,
Manatee County Administrator Scott Hopes said during a virtual news conference on Wednesday.

Read in CNN: https://apple.news/AtJpiwGqCT_ScdoNTgHlwjg

Last edited:
I'd hate to be that guy. 🙁

I'd hate to be that guy. 🙁

I agree. But it appears that vaccinated IT worker was one who put a stop to the outbreak in the building.

From the OP linked article :

But another coworker who had direct contact and exposure to patient zero was not infected, because he was vaccinated, Hopes said.
That individual, a 23-year-old in the IT department, got vaccinated as soon as Florida's eligibility allowed, said Hopes, who is also an epidemiologist.

"That vaccine, I believe, not only saved him but it appears that because he was vaccinated and he was sort of the next individual in line in the timeline that the outbreak in IT stopped,
I believe, because it ran up against a vaccinated individual," Hopes said.

I agree. But it appears that vaccinated IT worker was one who put a stop to the outbreak in the building.

From the OP linked article :

But another coworker who had direct contact and exposure to patient zero was not infected, because he was vaccinated, Hopes said.
That individual, a 23-year-old in the IT department, got vaccinated as soon as Florida's eligibility allowed, said Hopes, who is also an epidemiologist.

"That vaccine, I believe, not only saved him but it appears that because he was vaccinated and he was sort of the next individual in line in the timeline that the outbreak in IT stopped,
I believe, because it ran up against a vaccinated individual," Hopes said.
But...I wouldn't call that herd immunity. Now if at least 70% were vaccinated instead of just one guy...then I could see how he how he could be a brick in the wall. But one brick does not a wall make....especially when everyone else around him got covid.

The unvaccinated take the risk. It’s on us.

It's on you alright if you spread it to an unvaccinated person under 12 and if you cause undue stress on the medical system or on businesses with large numbers of unvaccinated employees. It's on you but they are the ones that suffer.

It's on you alright if you spread it to an unvaccinated person under 12 and if you cause undue stress on the medical system or on businesses with large numbers of unvaccinated employees. It's on you but they are the ones that suffer.
Because the unvaccinated accept the risk.

It's not. You spread it to other unvaccinated people and those 10% or so whose vaccination isn't effective. As you spread it the virus mutates and can become resistant to current vaccines.

You only care about your own rights, but not your responsibilities. Your approach is analogous to an impaired driver. The risk is to you and every nearby motorist and pedestrian.

But...I wouldn't call that herd immunity. Now if at least 70% were vaccinated instead of just one guy...then I could see how he how he could be a brick in the wall. But one brick does not a wall make....especially when everyone else around him got covid.

I wouldn’t call it herd immunity either. It seems it was more of a case of the vaccinated person able to stop the spread in a limited area.

Because the unvaccinated accept the risk.
Accepting the risk can mean overwhelming the hospital staff so the car crash victim cannot receive the life care he or she needs and would have survived if the staff had been overwhelmed by the Covid patients.

Accepting the risk can mean overwhelming the hospital staff so the car crash victim cannot receive the life care he or she needs and would have survived if the staff had been overwhelmed by the Covid patients.
Statistically insignificant

........they accept the risk that others are forced to bear....nice
And another example of a statistically insignificant risk at that

Statistically insignificant

I beg to differ.
Since when did a statistical low risk to others become an acceptable risk ?

You might not care about you getting sick but I care about you and I care about the immune compromised and all who cannot be vaccinated for medical or age reasons /restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom