• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's a thought concerned a raped woman...

It never set right to me that, morally, a woman must carry a rapist's baby to avoid the act of murder.

at the same time, and as many on the right wing of the pro-life argument would say, "the baby did nothing wrong", of which I must concede is a fair point.

an idea i had is that, in the case of rape, a woman can be absolved of all responsibility for an abortion, as she given no consent to be pregnant in any case.

However, it is still murder, and it is a murder for which the rapist is guilty of.

If someone rapes, he takes the risk that a woman may choose to abort his baby, and therefore, he bears the guilty of that action in full.

Where I would like to see the abortion debate go is to argue WHAT, exactly, should be done to a rapist in such a situation? To me, it's not enough to charge him with rape, for which he faces life in prison, he should also face the charge of murder/manslaughter, for setting the chain of events in motion.

It is my opinion that the rapist should be held, not only morally liable, but legally liable as well, for anything and everything that happens between his victim and his potential baby.
Being raped should not excuse murder of a third party.

I think (legitimate) rape should be a death penalty offense in its own right. I do not agree that a criminal should be liable for an act of revenge committed by the victim against a third party at some point in the future.

that's because they think animals should have the same rights as man. I do not. I think animals are food, and they should be afforded no rights beyond animal cruelty. animals are not equal to us, and never will be.
And I think a fetus has no rights

It's fun to have our own opinions

Where I would like to see the abortion debate go is to argue WHAT, exactly, should be done to a rapist in such a situation? To me, it's not enough to charge him with rape, for which he faces life in prison, he should also face the charge of murder/manslaughter, for setting the chain of events in motion.
No, the abortion debate is one about Individual Rights and that is where it should stay. Making it about "exceptions" is to accept the faulty premises of the anti-abortion movement and completely throwing Individual Rights in the bin. But, of vourse, anti-abortionists are not really interested in rights. They do not know what rights are.

Abortion is a moral right regardless how she got pregnant and the "rape exeception" is just an excuse anti-abortionist use to criminalise abortion without looking like the absolute monsters that they are.

A rapist is charged with rape. A woman who terminates her pregnancy is charged with nothing.

Your problem is that whatever stage of development it is in it is still a human life which is why, when a pregnant woman is killed it is charged as a double homicide.
It is because you are terminating her pregnancy against her will. Even if a woman is unwillingly pregnant, the decision to abort has to be hers. She is the standard of value and it has nothing to do with the piece of protoplasm she is carrying

Want to ramp up the charges against a rapist to murder, I'm fine with that.
Yes, let's get rid of objective law and turn the justice system into one of emotional feelings of the moment rather than reason and evidence.

Great.

No, the abortion debate is one about Individual Rights and that is where it should stay. Making it about "exceptions" is to accept the faulty premises of the anti-abortion movement and completely throwing Individual Rights in the bin. But, of vourse, anti-abortionists are not really interested in rights. They do not know what rights are.

Abortion is a moral right regardless how she got pregnant and the "rape exeception" is just an excuse anti-abortionist use to criminalise abortion without looking like the absolute monsters that they are.

A rapist is charged with rape. A woman who terminates her pregnancy is charged with nothing.
Well, I disagree. I think the abortion debate has really stalled for the last oh....30 years? and it's really just time to evolve it, and keep it relevant. Rape, for example, is a very big problem in the US, and I don't think we could go wrong multiplying to consequences for rapists.

Well, I disagree. I think the abortion debate has really stalled for the last oh....30 years? and it's really just time to evolve it, and keep it relevant. Rape, for example, is a very big problem in the US, and I don't think we could go wrong multiplying to consequences for rapists.
So, you want a justice system that makes stuff up and sentence people for crimes they did not commit?

Abortion is about abortion and abortion should always be legal no matter how she got pregnant.

So, you want a justice system that makes stuff up and sentence people for crimes they did not commit?

Abortion is about abortion and abortion should always be legal no matter how she got pregnant.
No, holding someone accountable for a terrible situation that they caused isn't the same as "making stuff up".

but if you want to defend rapists, go ahead.

It is because you are terminating her pregnancy against her will. Even if a woman is unwillingly pregnant, the decision to abort has to be hers. She is the standard of value and it has nothing to do with the piece of protoplasm she is carrying
It contradicts the narrative that the unborn are without rights.

Except when they are harmed
That is because the woman owns her own pregnancy. She is the standard of value. Whether she is willingly or unwillingly pregnant does not matter, you do not have the right to kick her in the belly to terminate her pregnancy.

Her life, her choice.

That is because the woman owns her own pregnancy. She is the standard of value. Whether she is willingly or unwillingly pregnant does not matter, you do not have the right to kick her in the belly to terminate her pregnancy.

Her life, her choice.
And States are now saying it isn't her choice anymore either. Deal with it.

No, fetuses have no rights, ever.
The courts are now changing their opinion and giving them more rights. Oops there goes the pro-choices appeal to authority. Now it belongs to the prolife side of the debate.

Back
Top Bottom