• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's a radical suggestion for the $20 bill!

Glen Contrarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, he
Political Leaning
Progressive
It seems that there's a lot of people - mostly on the right, of course - who are incensed that we're taking Jackson's face off the $20 bill and replacing it with Harriet Tubman. After all, he was a war president and all she did was help run the Underground Railroad to help slaves to make it to freedom (such as it was before the 1964 Civil Rights Act).

So I'll propose an alternative female in her place. This particular female organized a team of scouts in wartime to operate behind enemy lines on riverine craft, her team (under the orders of the Secretary of War):

- mapped enemy positions and gathered other intel;

- disabled mines;

- destroyed supply routes;

- and took point to lead the Army to destroy enemy supply depots.

During the same campaign, she recruited nearly 200 new partisans to join the Army's efforts against the enemy, and at the same time freed 750 other captives. Her name? Check the sources. First source. Second source.

why exactly do we "need" a female on the 20 dollar bill?

It seems that there's a lot of people - mostly on the right, of course - who are incensed that we're taking Jackson's face off the $20 bill and replacing it with Harriet Tubman. After all, he was a war president and all she did was help run the Underground Railroad to help slaves to make it to freedom (such as it was before the 1964 Civil Rights Act).

So I'll propose an alternative female in her place. This particular female organized a team of scouts in wartime to operate behind enemy lines on riverine craft, her team (under the orders of the Secretary of War):

- disabled mines;

During the same campaign, she recruited nearly 200 new partisans to join the Army's efforts against the enemy, and at the same time freed 750 other captives. Her name? Check the sources. First source. Second source.

Keep Jackson on the bill.

- disabled mines;

I can't think of a better face to replace than Jackson, and I am rather happy with the choice of Tubman. Andrew Jackson was a terrible person, and Harriet Tubman was the exact opposite. In any case, I'd MUCH rather take Jackson off the $20 than take Hamilton off the $10.

Um, that's not really clever.

so people in the south will use smaller bills?

I'd be happy to trade them a one dollar bill with a white guy on it for a 20 with a black lady's picture. Maybe some will take me up on that

- disabled mines;

I am perfectly fine with Tubman replacing Jackson on the 20 dollar bill. She is widely known, and she risked her freedom and life to free people.

why exactly do we "need" a female on the 20 dollar bill?

Because apparently women were never on money.

Don't tell liberals women were on money before.

Because apparently women were never on money.

Don't tell liberals women were on money before.

Yeah but those were queens!

another radical suggestion: currency that only denotes what said currency is worth

another radical suggestion: currency that only denotes what said currency is worth

Except that is:
1. Boring
2. Money is a very important tool for communicating culture and values of the country/organization that issued it.

I have a lot of respect for Andrew Jackson. He's the kind of leader that deserves to have his image on our currency. What he accomplished at New Orleans, considering what he had, proved what he could do when the chips were down. And he was a very intelligent man--all it takes to prove that to yourself is to read his Veto Speech of 1836. I can't recall the name of the movie about Jackson, but I think Charlton Heston portrayed him very well. It's worth watching just for the scene where some guy is foolish enough to make a crack about Jackson' wife. Someone here called him a bad person. I don't know about that, but he sure was a bad man to cross.

entirely subjective and, also, who cares

how? its a piece of paper (or coins) used in buying and selling

Money is something everyone sees and uses in society and countries choose to put images that represent their country or organization on it and it can communicate the history, culture, and values of people. For example many formerly commonwealth nations put he Queen on our money, it symbolizes our history with the British empire and our ties to the UK. Money is not just for buying and selling it also a tool to reflect the society the issues it.

Some people are happy with a gun toting Republican on the bill.
Much better than Jackson.

I don't give a **** what's on the 20 dollar bill as long as it's still worth $20.

everything you credit her for will just make the right more furious that she's being honored

consider that andrew jackson is a hero to them *because* he had slaves and slaughtered natives

Back
Top Bottom