• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Here's a nifty little trick.

the makeout hobo

Rockin' In The Free World
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Lets look at the election from 1968-2004

George W. Bush (2004)
George W. Bush (2000)
Bill Clinton (1996)
Bill Clinton (1992)

George Bush (1988)
Ronald Reagan (1984)
Ronald Reagan (1980)
Jimmy Carter (1976)
Richard Nixon (1972)
Richard Nixon (1968)

What do you notice? Complete Republican domination with the exception of Bill Clinton, who was a moderate southerner (opponent's home turf) and benefited from a strong third party bid, and Jimmy Carter who was a moderate southerner who benefited from Watergate. Lets look further back.

Lyndon Johnson(1964)
John Kennedy(1960)
Dwight Eisenhower(1956)
Dwight Eisenhower(1952)

Harry Truman(1948)
Franklin Roosevelt(1944)
Franklin Roosevelt(1940)
Franklin Roosevelt(1936)
Franklin Roosevelt(1932)

What do you notice? Complete Democratic domination with the exception of Eisenhower, who was a moderate and who had saved the free world. Lets look further back.

Herbert Hoover(1928)
Calvin Coolidge(1924)
Warren Harding(1920)
Woodrow Wilson(1916)
Woodrow Wilson(1912)

Howard Taft(1908)
Theodore Roosevelt(1904)
William McKinley(1900)
William McKinley(1896)

What do you notice? Complete Republican domination with the exception of Wilson, who won due to a strong third party bid, and then due to the fear of WWI.

Grover Cleveland (1892)
Benjamin Harrison (1888)
Grover Cleveland (1884)
James Garfield (1880)
Rutheford Hayes (1876)
Ulysses S. Grant (1872)
Ulysses S. Grant (1868)
Abraham Lincoln (1864)
Abraham Lincoln (1860)

I'd say "what do you notice", but you should get the point by now. Complete Republican domination with the exception of Grover Cleveland. I don't know much about Cleveland, but I know that his elections were very close and I know he was very pro-business and moderate for the time. Lets keep on going, just for kicks.

James Buchanan(1856)
Franklin Pierce(1852)
Zachary Tyler(1848)
James K. Polk(1844)
William Harrison(1840)
Martin Van Buren(1836)
Andrew Jackson(1832)
Andrew Jackson(1828)

This time, we see almost complete Democratic domination, with the whigs having only limited success, only winning when nominating very popular war heroes. Lets finish this off.

John Quincy Adams(1824)
James Monroe(1820)
James Monroe(1816)
James Madison(1812)
James Madison(1808)
Thomas Jefferson(1804)
Thomas Jefferson(1800)

John Adams(1796)
George Washington(1792)
George Washington(1789)

The Democratic-Republicans had almost complete domination of the presidency for the entire era.

I drew the line at what are considered realigning elections. If you notice, they happen every 8-10 elections, and the party in charge of the cycle dominates the issues and discourse, even when they're not in office. You will also notice that we're on course for a realigning election this year. Whoever wins this year will likely realign the map like Jackson, Lincoln, McKinley, Roosevelt, and Nixon did, if history is to be a guide. Who do you think will realign the map?

Last edited:
a "nifty" trick? I'm flattered.

I can't see this trend continuing as well as it has. With the American electorate split so evenly and expecting far more than the government can deliver, the party in charge will fall out of grace much sooner than they would have in one of these "natural" cycles. I'd say four consecutive terms for any one party is close to impossible nowadays.

I still believe in the "pendulum" effect and I do think it started to swing to the left in 2006 and will continue to do so this year. I just think its chain is shorter than in years past.

I can't see this trend continuing as well as it has. With the American electorate split so evenly and expecting far more than the government can deliver, the party in charge will fall out of grace much sooner than they would have in one of these "natural" cycles. I'd say four consecutive terms for any one party is close to impossible nowadays.

I still believe in the "pendulum" effect and I do think it started to swing to the left in 2006 and will continue to do so this year. I just think its chain is shorter than in years past.

What has changed in the last 200 years that would all of a sudden make the chain shorter?

a "nifty" trick? I'm flattered.

For you, anytime;)

By the way, NYC, thanks for that book. I'll have to read it when I get the chance. I'm mostly basing my work off of Strauss and Howe's Generations and Winograd and Hais' Millennial Makeover

I dunno. Today's youth generation, the Millennials, are the biggest generation in American history. They are also overwhelmingly liberal, and will probably be a much more active generation than Gen X. And seeing as studies have shown that people usually deepen their political beliefs as they get older, I think we can see them bolstering the Democratic Party, as things stand now, for a while to come.

Back
Top Bottom