• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's a little glimpse into what some of those ultra wealthy do

It's not one or the other. They don't say 'well, we can't afford to spend money on corruption because we bought this concert'. You're sort of missing the point.
I don't think I am. Listen, I'm pretty sure you and I support most of the same policies. I want to see the billionaires taxed much more than they are. I just think focusing on their excessive parties is a distraction from more serious/consequential reasons to make policy changes. It also plays into their whole 'wealth envy' schtick. I'm not saying they're right, but the wealth envy attack is more convincing to the fence-sitters when the subject is some billionaire's excessive bar mitzvah rather than that billionaire's abuse of workers and laws.

I don't think I am. Listen, I'm pretty sure you and I support most of the same policies. I want to see the billionaires taxed much more than they are. I just think focusing on their excessive parties is a distraction from more serious/consequential reasons to make policy changes. It also plays into their whole 'wealth envy' schtick. I'm not saying they're right, but the wealth envy attack is more convincing to the fence-sitters when the subject is some billionaire's excessive bar mitzvah rather than that billionaire's abuse of workers and laws.
I answered that in the OP. I explicitly said that the point is that seeing the reality of things like this can help people have a reaction to the extreme inequality that is helpful as a reminder of the reality. The "jealousy" argument is a false and idiotic right-wing narrative they don't need any help to promote from their opponents. We can have a hundred thread about the larger issues with why extreme inequality is the biggest problem for our planet, but a lot of people don't process the issue well, and anecdotes like this can help to open a few eyes. It's not presented as more than that, but it has a place in the discussion. It can help people listen better to other parts of the issue. It can help break through fallacies people have like 'relating' to the ultra wealthy thinking they're like them, just with nicer houses and cars, and they're 'on their side' against tyrannical government. You have a better way to help break through that?

Lol. No it’s pretty obvious. But I get you want to pretend out ours anything other then I what it is.

But have fun with your denial.
All you're doing is proving my point for me.

But we can’t tax the rich! If we did they’d never be able to afford private concerts from rock stars and they would DIE without them!

Now, can you show the distribution in the top 1% - the top 0.1%, the top 0.01%, the top 0.001%? Go look at the graphic on this site: lcurve.org
What's really frightening is the fact that I am in the top 15-20% income bracket. yetI don't have a mansion, or buy a new porsche every year. No swimming pool, not even a Lincoln continental. None of the traditional trappings of wealth, but few people earn more than me.

If you're a thinking person that should scare the hell outta ya.

I don't think the point of the OP is to focus on the concerts. He's just pointing out yet another example of the extreme inequity.

So.... I'm supposed to be mad at people for hiring singers to sing at a celebratory event.....
I guess so. It's an "Evil, wealthy" thing. Apparently how people celebrate private events is somehow bad.

Rolling Stone did an article on the industry of music acts who do secret, private performances. They can't get much info because of the secrecy.

For example, a wealthy Chinese family had a relative with a birthday, and they paid Jennifer Lopez $1.25 million to sing for 40 minutes to the 20 people at the party. They gave her another $500,000 for air and hotel, and built a restaurant and nightclub inside a Grand Hyatt for the event.

A New Jersey guy, real estate figure Steve Silverman, had Roger Daltrey perform in his back yard. Another guy had Stevie Nicks, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, the Eagles and others for a bar mitzvah for his teenage daughter, some paid over $1 million.

Others bring in a pop start to sing for guests in their mansion for 40 minutes for millions, and fly in celebrity chefs to cook for them following the concert.

It would be great if this didn't affect others, but the massive inequality does affect others a lot, estimated that salaries might be double what they are if Republicans hadn't changed the rules on taxes. It's fair to inform people the little that can be informed about this as a reminder of the excesses of the new gilded age. It's very much a global thing with billionaires around the world.

Some of these events are for rather unsavory people - like the bar mitzvah guy was later sentenced to 17 years in jail for financial crimes. One of the events was for a family event on a yacht off of Monaco who 'own a major US airline'. Ya, we should not pass the 20% minimum tax on billionaires, you should pay more instead, they need it more than you.
I'll take "People Who Don't Give A Crap" for $500, Alex.

As long as it's not illegal, who cares?

Rolling Stone did an article on the industry of music acts who do secret, private performances. They can't get much info because of the secrecy.

For example, a wealthy Chinese family had a relative with a birthday, and they paid Jennifer Lopez $1.25 million to sing for 40 minutes to the 20 people at the party. They gave her another $500,000 for air and hotel, and built a restaurant and nightclub inside a Grand Hyatt for the event.

A New Jersey guy, real estate figure Steve Silverman, had Roger Daltrey perform in his back yard. Another guy had Stevie Nicks, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, the Eagles and others for a bar mitzvah for his teenage daughter, some paid over $1 million.

Others bring in a pop start to sing for guests in their mansion for 40 minutes for millions, and fly in celebrity chefs to cook for them following the concert.

It would be great if this didn't affect others, but the massive inequality does affect others a lot, estimated that salaries might be double what they are if Republicans hadn't changed the rules on taxes. It's fair to inform people the little that can be informed about this as a reminder of the excesses of the new gilded age. It's very much a global thing with billionaires around the world.

Some of these events are for rather unsavory people - like the bar mitzvah guy was later sentenced to 17 years in jail for financial crimes. One of the events was for a family event on a yacht off of Monaco who 'own a major US airline'. Ya, we should not pass the 20% minimum tax on billionaires, you should pay more instead, they need it more than you.
That's horrible! We should have the government immediately arrest all the rich people and distribute their stuff to any person or people that promise to vote Democrat. It's the only way to save America!!!

I guess so. It's an "Evil, wealthy" thing. Apparently how people celebrate private events is somehow bad.
There's a line in the Count of Monte Cristo where, having thrown a banquet, they announce there will be two kinds of fish - described as "a millionaires' fancy".

Because that's, just, like, you know, outrageously degenerate. TWO kinds of fish. In one meal. That kind of raw expenditure of money for a party is just wasteful; the kind of thing the ultra-rich do.

Of course, now, it's the kind of thing the vast majority can do by walking into a supermarket. Are we still supposed to be mad about it?

That's horrible! We should have the government immediately arrest all the rich people and distribute their stuff to any person or people that promise to vote Democrat. It's the only way to save America!!!
Don't give em ideas. They'd probably actually do it.

The real problem today is wealth inequality, I don't care how the uber rich spend their money but those even in the 50 - 75 percentile are struggling today. How many of us on this forum are considered in the top 10% of wealthy people? By the numbers I am and I have to watch my children struggle who are in the 75th percentile when 5 years ago they would have been considered wealthy. These are difficult times no matter how billionaires spend their money, most Americans can not relate to my lifestyle let alone that of the 1%.

I'll take "People Who Don't Give A Crap" for $500, Alex.

Which is why it's a waste of time having Democrats and Republicans talk on a message board so much of the time. Oh, there's a war on Ukraine? Who gives a crap? Bombs aren't landing here. Covid? Who gives a crap? Climate? Who gives a crap? WHAT THE HELL CRT!!!! IT'S THREATENING THE WORLD I GIVE A CRAP!

Last edited:

Some of these events are for rather unsavory people - like the bar mitzvah guy was later sentenced to 17 years in jail for financial crimes. One of the events was for a family event on a yacht off of Monaco who 'own a major US airline'. Ya, we should not pass the 20% minimum tax on billionaires, you should pay more instead, they need it more than you. an
What laws did the Republicans change that had anything to do with bar/bat mitsvahs for their kids lowering wages? You're mixing apples and ping pong balls.

Does everyone understand that Trump never believed there was election fraud? That he was always claiming that as a part of this plan?

I don't think Trumpers understand that. I don't think they get that the Big Lie was not merely a mistake, it was part of a larger plan.
How the hell did Trump get dragged into this?

It's a wealth inequality thing. Conservatives wouldn't understand.
We don't understand the fixation on what other people make - toxic jealous with no available vaccine.

We don't understand the fixation on what other people make - toxic jealous with no available vaccine.
You guys can stop. My point is well made, your assistance is no longer needed.

See the first two words of the post. Current issue. It says that a small number refuse to do so - that Springsteen turned down $250,000 to ride motorcycles with a guy, that U2 refuse to do them.
What kind of SICKO would pay U2 to sing more?

Does everyone understand that Trump never believed there was election fraud? That he was always claiming that as a part of this plan?

I don't think Trumpers understand that. I don't think they get that the Big Lie was not merely a mistake, it was part of a larger plan.
Nonsense. Progressive poppycock.

Of all the possible examples of extravagence of the ultra-rich, paying entertainers to perform has got to be one of the least offensive.

And in a way, I think it's worth reminding ourselves to spare a little pity for these people. There's a story about the philosopher Diogenes of Sinope, who was visiting a rich man's fancy home and, when told not to spit on the floor, spat in his face instead since he could find no other receptacle of lesser worth. People don't continue pursuing one billion after another because they're happy, compassionate, well-adjusted individuals; they're like addicts chasing a better high, never complete in themselves, diminished and dwarfed by their possessions. Inequality needs to be addressed for the sake of democracy, for the sake of the stability of life on earth... but also for the sake of those people being consumed by their own 'success.'

Back
Top Bottom