• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's a flat tax for you.....

Name me 3 regressive taxes.

That aside, it's funny watching the left and other anti-economists bitch. They bitch about the capital gains tax and bitch about corporate loopholes reducing effective tax rates for the top 1%...then they bitch about flat taxation that reduces corporate loopholes.

Some people just love to bitch. I just wish that they'd make up their mind on what they want to bitch about.

Sale taxes, FICA (we should lift the ceiling) and any proposed flat tax weirdness from the rightwing noise machine.

So you think parking laws are like tax policies, is that your argument?

BWHASHHAHHAHAH!

Yes no mater what kind of law tax, criminal or parking the government should treat us the same not dividing us up into different categories for the law.

Okay, same question. How would you like the system to be made equitable, and how would it affect everyone?

A steeper progressive tax on a new top bracket of say $1M (Obama proposed that). An excise tax on financial transactions involving over $5M or so. A special assessment for military spending on the wealthy since its their interests that are being protected more than anybody else's. A small asset tax of say 1% on assets over $10M or so. Lift the ceiling on FICA so that the top brackets pay. Cut takes on working people in the bottom 90% accordingly.

Sale taxes, FICA (we should lift the ceiling) and any proposed flat tax weirdness from the rightwing noise machine.
FICA was a progressive idea implemented by FDR but you know don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

So you named 1 1/2...glad you took up the slack for the one I asked it to. I was pretty sure it was wasted font effort on her.

Yes no mater what kind of law tax, criminal or parking the government should treat us the same not dividing us up into different categories for the law.

We're already divided by income.

Should elderly people have to serve in the military? Is it fair to not to let children vote? Why can't criminals in prison own guns, you can?

Stop dividing us!

So you named 1 1/2...glad you took up the slack for the one I asked it to. I was pretty sure it was wasted font effort on her.

I see: you can't count. A common conservative flaw.

A steeper progressive tax on a new top bracket of say $1M (Obama proposed that). An excise tax on financial transactions involving over $5M or so. A special assessment for military spending on the wealthy since its their interests that are being protected more than anybody else's. A small asset tax of say 1% on assets over $10M or so. Lift the ceiling on FICA so that the top brackets pay. Cut takes on working people in the bottom 90% accordingly.
The definition of equitable is fair and impartial how is going after the successful either of those things?

Should elderly people have to serve in the military? Is it fair to not to let children vote? Why can't criminals in prison own guns, you can?

Stop dividing us!
One military service is equal as it is volunteer based i do not agree with the draft, Age of majority applies to all regardless of income level, as for criminals their rights where taken away by due process as allowed for in our legal system.

How does the progressive income tale not violate equality under the law?

Because anyone can be a high or low income earner. Not any particular sex or race or religion or age.

Now if you really want to talk about equality, then everyone should have to pay the exact same dollar amount. Can you afford to pay federal income taxes of $12k for every member of your family? Heck, thats almost more than a minimum wage 40hr/week job. Who would want to work for free?

Sure it has nothing to do about reducing the size and scope of government and making the tax system treat us all equal under the law.

Then every one should pay an equal dollar amount of taxes.

What you are doing is redefining "equal".

In reality, everyone can't pay an equal amount, thus we base their burden on income. Tax policy can't be about either fair or equal, so it has to be about practicality and choosing the options that are the least harmful to our economy.

Then every one should pay an equal dollar amount of taxes.

What you are doing is redefining "equal".

In reality, everyone can't pay an equal amount, thus we base their burden on income. Tax policy can't be about either fair or equal, so it has to be about practicality and choosing the options that are the least harmful to our economy.

Okay, we'll stipulate the 16th amendment. When and why did the income tax become progressive?

That aside, it's funny watching the left and other anti-economists bitch. They bitch about the capital gains tax and bitch about corporate loopholes reducing effective tax rates for the top 1%...then they bitch about flat taxation that reduces corporate loopholes.

Some people just love to bitch. I just wish that they'd make up their mind on what they want to bitch about.

No tax is just regressive, however, many taxes are regressive in relationship to income. Here's three: tobacco tax, property tax, alcohol tax, and as a free bonus, sales tax.

So your not for equal opertunity but equal results that's for showing your true red colors comrade.

Under a progressive tax system, everyone has the equal opportunity to make a little or a lot of money, and equal opportunity to pay a little or a lot in taxes.

No tax is just regressive, however, many taxes are regressive in relationship to income. Here's three: tobacco tax, property tax, alcohol tax, and as a free bonus, sales tax.

None of these are regressive as each chooses their level of participation...

So we shoudn't have handicapped parking? And just anyone should be able to get one of those cool veterans license plates? And student with good grades and test scores shouldn't qualify for scholarships at public colleges? And criminals should be allowed to join our armed forces? And all employees should make exactly the same amount of money?

Remember, you are the one who said that everyone should be treated just the same and not divided up into categories.

Stop dividing us!

Dang it, you keep beating me to the punch line.

The definition of equitable is fair and impartial how is going after the successful either of those things?

Fair has no meaning in economics. The word shouldn't even be used.

Tax capital gains at the same rate as wages.

I have no issue with that. I believe all income should be treated equally (qualified dividends excluded) if this is how we choose to fund government, but how much should one be expected to give up of their earnings to be equitable?

None of these are regressive as each chooses their level of participation...

In that case, our income tax is not progressive "as each chooses their level of participation". No one forces CEOs to accept a huge salary.

Tax capital gains at the same rate as wages.

Thats probably the best solution.

I would support a flat tax in a heartbeat, if it was truly a flat tax, with no special deals for special people, and if all income, regardless of source (work, capital gains, inheritance) was taxed identically. Of course I would also demand that our ss and medicare taxes also be applied to all income identically, and the amount drawn from ss would be exactly the same amount for everyone and not based on the convoluted formula that we have now.

But few conservatives would be willing to accept a true flat tax as it would increase the tax burden on the rich and lower it on the worker/consumer class. Currently, our federal tax burden is about 14% of GDP, so to be tax neutral, all we would need is a 14% truly flat income tax, which is roughly the same rate as our combined payroll withholdings taxes. However, there are lots of rich people who pay a rate less than that under our current tax system due to all the special deals that they get.

Last edited:

Gas tax, sales tax and WI flat tax. Also, not every flat tax proposal taxes income from capital gains and/or dividends. Just a fact.

Back
Top Bottom