• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here we go: "Texas woman charged with murder for ‘self-induced abortion’"

Our transformation into a third world country is proceeding apace.

The taliban and other religious whack jobs are celebrating.

From that link:

In her statement, Whitmer said overturning Roe would affect almost 2.2 million women in Michigan.

"A woman must be able to make her own medical decisions with the advice of a healthcare professional she trusts—politicians shouldn't make that decision for her," the governor said.

Virtually every leftist on the planet supports having doctors and medical procedures controlled by politicians. The reason doctors are licensed is to place them under government control, which means under the control of politicians.

Not being a lawyer, I don't understand how someone can be jailed for murder when abortion is legal by federal law.
That is where the case will hinge.

Texas should go deeper down this rabbit hole. Any guy who masturbates should be charged with murder.

Not being a lawyer, I don't understand how someone can be jailed for murder when abortion is legal by federal law.

Abortion isn't actually legal under federal law - federal law doesn't have an abortion statute. It's just that current SCOTUS doctrine states that laws banning abortions within certain timelines are unconstitutional.

Too many unanswered questions but this could raise some interesting legal issues. For instance, if she took an abortion inducing drug (that's the rumor) that caused the miscarriage, did she take in Mexico or in Texas? If she took it in Mexico, how can Texas charge her for something that is legal to purchase in Mexico? Will Texas be prosecuting women who get abortions in other states in the US?

They can't prosecute someone for criminal conduct that takes place outside their own jurisdiction, though creative prosecutors could argue conspiracy to commit murder took place in Texas, I suppose.

Abortion isn't actually legal under federal law - federal law doesn't have an abortion statute. It's just that current SCOTUS doctrine states that laws banning abortions within certain timelines are unconstitutional.
Oh. I see. I guess.

From that link:

Virtually every leftist on the planet supports having doctors and medical procedures controlled by politicians. The reason doctors are licensed is to place them under government control, which means under the control of politicians.

Does having a driver's license put you under the control of politicians in your state? Do you get 50 lashes every day? Don't know where you live, but having licenses hasn't really made me less free, just more protected against idiots who can't or shouldn't drive.

Well, laws are there for a reason. If she willfully murdered her baby then she should suffer the full punishment.
in Texas she'll be in prison for probably 40 years.

women. are you watching?

I’m not sure how that materially changes anything here. By the way, the ASSumption I’m working with here is that this was a self-performed abortion gone wrong, and not something that would have been completely normal to prosecute in San Francisco. (We don’t know yet).

Yes, I'm watching. If you do something to harm your unborn human, why shouldn't you be charged with something?
Young women, are you watching how republicans are justifying controlling your decisions? And remember it's gonna get worse.

NEVER forget.

Young women, are you watching how republicans are justifying controlling your decisions? And remember it's gonna get worse.

NEVER forget.

I'm not a Republican.

Does having a driver's license put you under the control of politicians in your state? Do you get 50 lashes every day? Don't know where you live, but having licenses hasn't really made me less free, just more protected against idiots who can't or shouldn't drive.
You beat me to it!

I was just saying that’s not how it works. That’s not how *any* of that is supposed to work…🤣

I’m not sure how that materially changes anything here.

Just to clarify, my point was that states define murder. The Roe v Wade doctrine just says that states can't make laws banning abortion within certain parameters (i.e. before viability), but that doctrine would seem to be flimsy at best given the high court's current composition. A court doctrine should in theory declare what kinds of abortion/anti-abortion laws and standards are legally viable, but Roe v Wade was a 5-4 decision that has since been weakened with all sorts of legal challenges. Thus, we can't really say that abortion is 'legal' under federal law.

For the record, I'm pro-choice and horrified by this law, and even more so by the radicalization of the Christian nationalist political movement which is clearly signaling its intent to control political and legal institutions. That's evident in their language and in the laws they've introduced.

By the way, the ASSumption I’m working with here is that this was a self-performed abortion gone wrong, and not something that would have been completely normal to prosecute in San Francisco. (We don’t know yet).

My assumption as well.

Yes, I'm watching. If you do something to harm your unborn human, why shouldn't you be charged with something?
Because it's no more "an unborn human" than the ejaculate from masturbating is "a million half humans."

It was only a matter of time. Now the Texas arm of the Christian Taliban masquerading as "pro-life" can abuse this woman and we get a spin at the courts with the likely challenge once Texas is done with her (which is not looking good for women's rights.)

Because even Texas law doesn't consider abortion a murder.

All other considerations aside, changing the law to mean something different after the fact and charging what was not a crime previously as a crime is horrific as a state actor.

The loophole in their previous law where they fined abortion providers to get around the fact that abortion was a right is that you don't need an abortion provider to take a pill to have one. So, now they've decided to remove a right by changing their murder statute.

Because it's no more "an unborn human" than the ejaculate from masturbating is "a million half humans."

If it’s just like sperm there’s no reason to abort.

Does having a driver's license put you under the control of politicians in your state?

As far as driving goes, yes.

But let's find out exactly where we disagree regarding doctors. Consider the following:

The reason doctors are licensed is to place them under state control, which means under the control of politicians. Hence politicians can prohibit doctors from performing abortions, and if a doctor refuses to obey the decrees of politicians, his license will be revoked, and he will be arrested if he continues to practice medicine.

Do you disagree with any of the above? If yes, quote the specific text you disagree with and explain why.

If you agree with it, then you should disagree with Whitmer when she said, "politicians shouldn't make that decision for her".

Back
Top Bottom