• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here Comes Amazon....Again.

obvious Child

Equal Opportunity Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets, we go hands-on

Next batch of goodies. Clearly targeted towards the upcoming holiday shipping season.

Those prices for those specs are mind-blowing.

2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 and 323 ppi screen?

Jeff is pulling out the big guns!

$229 for the 7"

Crying shame it has that awful forked Android.

Wow that thing is sexy! I'm sure someone within a month will figure out how to load vanilla android on it. It's not like apple where they lock it down all crazy. I have a first gen kindle fire and I can side load any program I want.

Amazon is definitely one of my favorite companies. I want to see them do a phone.

Wow that thing is sexy! I'm sure someone within a month will figure out how to load vanilla android on it. It's not like apple where they lock it down all crazy. I have a first gen kindle fire and I can side load any program I want.

Amazon is definitely one of my favorite companies. I want to see them do a phone.

I want to see them be able to ship everywhere not just EU and North America.

Vanilla 4.3 on that thing for $229 likely has plenty of people salivating. An S8 with 323 ppi for $229? They're losing money after marketing.

Vanilla 4.3 on that thing for $229 likely has plenty of people salivating. An S8 with 323 ppi for $229? They're losing money after marketing.

This isn't where they make their money...

This isn't where they make their money...

That's true, but they won't make any at all if someone ROMs 4.3 and ditches every Amazon software.

Jeff is counting on people buying Amazon content on the machines. Stock Android Kindle Fire HDXs are total losses for him.

That's true, but they won't make any at all if someone ROMs 4.3 and ditches every Amazon software.

Jeff is counting on people buying Amazon content on the machines. Stock Android Kindle Fire HDXs are total losses for him.

The vast majority who will purchase do not do so with the intention of making a jailbreak...

The vast majority who will purchase do not do so with the intention of making a jailbreak...

Technically, ROMing is not jailbreaking. ROM is an entirely system replacement. Jailbreaking implies you keep the existing system but you exit the walled garden. Replacing forked Android and Amazon's GUI with stock Android running 4.3 with no restrictions is technically not jailbreaking.

That's true that the majority won't do it, but it is a pretty awesome option to get an at cost powerful tablet that you can put a proper OS on.

I have no clue what language you all are speaking, but the new units look pretty snazzy. :lol:

I'd never touch a Kindle. My mother has one and she hates it. Most games she'd like to play on it, she can't because of Amazon's stupid incomplete Android install. Besides, I can get a similar machine for less than that, why would I want to pay top dollar for the worst machine on the planet?

I'd never touch a Kindle. My mother has one and she hates it. Most games she'd like to play on it, she can't because of Amazon's stupid incomplete Android install. Besides, I can get a similar machine for less than that, why would I want to pay top dollar for the worst machine on the planet?

Because the KF HDX is using top line hardware at rock bottom pricing and the ROM for stock 4.3 will be out likely within a month of release.

Worst machine on the planet? Hardly. I've had my Kindle Fire for about a year, and I absolutely love it. I carry it with me everywhere, and it does everything I want it to do, and it was very reasonable. They hold their resale value, too. I could probably get $125 to $150 for it now, and get a new one just by adding $50 to it.

Back
Top Bottom