• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here are the 9 Republicans who voted against a bill to help poor families buy baby formula amid the ongoing shortage

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here are the 9 Republicans who voted against a bill to help poor families buy baby formula amid the ongoing shortage

Nine Republicans voted against a bill in Congress that would help lower-income women secure baby formula for their children. Many Republicans crossed party lines to vote for HR 7791, the Access to Baby Formula Act, which passed the House on Wednesday with 414 "yes" votes. However, the bill — which comes amid a crisis where parents are struggling to procure baby formula for their children — was voted down by nine Republican lawmakers. The "NO" votes were cast by GOP Reps. Andy Biggs, Lauren Boebert, Thomas Massie, Clay Higgins, Matt Gaetz, Chip Roy, Paul Gosar, Louie Gohmert, and Marjorie Taylor Greene. vote in the Senate. The House vote on both bills came several hours after President Joe Biden invoked the Defense Production Act, using the 1950 law to boost the supply of formula from US manufacturers. The US is still facing staggering issues with baby formula supplies, with the backlog having been induced by pandemic supply chain snags and a recent recall of Abbott products.

'No' to any abortions, and also 'no' to any help in providing baby formula to poor families.

'No' to any abortions, and also 'no' to any help in providing baby formula to poor families.
But they love them a fetus. What I don't understand is why so many folks in the south vote republican since they are some of the poorest states in america? How many times and in how many different ways does your leadership show you they don't give two craps about the well being of their constituents. Decade after decade they keep voting for the party that helps them not at all.

But they love them a fetus. What I don't understand is why so many folks in the south vote republican since they are some of the poorest states in america? How many times and in how many different ways does your leadership show you they don't give two craps about the well being of their constituents. Decade after decade they keep voting for the party that helps them not at all.
You have to take it in context you make $15 bucks an hour in the South you live like a king

The regular suspects! I could have named 5 of them without even reading the snip. I hope that poor women in their districts are paying attention.

I've wondered for years why working class and middle-class Republicans are so willing to cut their own throats economically by voting Republican, but then Covid comes along and we see not only will they cut their throats economically, but for their politics and party they were willing to die..

So I no longer wonder...

Andy Biggs
Lauren Boebert
Thomas Massie
Clay Higgins
Matt Gaetz
Chip Roy
Paul Gosar
Louie Gohmert
Marjorie Taylor Greene.

... look at that list of hypocritical hate-filled deplorables.

You have to take it in context you make $15 bucks an hour in the South you live like a king
And you live where in the south? A two bedroom apt runs about a thousand or so a month alone in my neck of the woods in central florida and if you want to eat and own a car too, fifteen an hour, no kings are living on that here. Tell us if you would, how does a person making fifteen an hour buy a ten million dollar home fit for a king?

I've wondered for years why working class and middle-class Republicans are so willing to cut their own throats economically by voting Republican, but then Covid comes along and we see not only will they cut their throats economically, but for their politics and party they were willing to die..

So I no longer wonder...
As far as I can remember the gop has sold fear as the biggest part of their policies to their base. They don't have good ideas to govern, they only have ideas of how to undo whatever gains the dems have made. They need walls to keep people out, guns to protect themselves from the ones like themselves that are here and a national religion for all regardless of your personal beliefs so their god can protect them from the dreaded libs. They have been fed a steady diet of demonizing since nixon and agnew, reagan doubled down on mistrust and trump brought it to new heights. Their hatred from all the lies over decades from their leadership has warped their ability to think.

Andy Biggs
Lauren Boebert
Thomas Massie
Clay Higgins
Matt Gaetz
Chip Roy
Paul Gosar
Louie Gohmert
Marjorie Taylor Greene.

... look at that list of hypocritical hate-filled deplorables.
Show me your friends....just take a good long look at those birds of a feather. These are the folks doing their best to destroy our democratic republic.

And you live where in the south? A two bedroom apt runs about a thousand or so a month alone in my neck of the woods in central florida and if you want to eat and own a car too, fifteen an hour, no kings are living on that here. Tell us if you would, how does a person making fifteen an hour buy a ten million dollar home fit for a king?
Bongs, let this line go. I did research yesterday on this topic and Republicans in general and to a higher percentage are better of economically than the Democrats. Poor among Republicans is substantially less than among Democrats.

So you think Florida full of Northern transplants that ruined their home states took their pensions (that northern folks left behind are still paying for) a representative of the south?

I lived in the Upstate of South Carolina, mountains of north Carolina and Tennessee good manufacturing jobs low rent and cost of living

You can afford bass boats, atvs, big pick up trucks when the bulk of your salary doesn't go to high taxes and rent

Bongs, let this line go. I did research yesterday on this topic and Republicans in general and to a higher percentage are better of economically than the Democrats. Poor among Republicans is substantially less than among Democrats.
Percentages be damned, tell that to the poor republican voters in kentucky, mississippi and west virginia.

So you think Florida full of Northern transplants that ruined their home states took their pensions (that northern folks left behind are still paying for) a representative of the south?

I lived in the Upstate of South Carolina, mountains of north Carolina and Tennessee good manufacturing jobs low rent and cost of living
I'm happy for you. Do you still live there?

I'm happy for you. Do you still live there?
No I got bored wanted to eat good food, see my granddaughter grow up ( she lives across the border in illinois) and live in Milwaukee now, can't afford my home town of Chicago.

Yup, try making $15:bucks in Chicago , the minimum wage should be $30 bucks an hour compared to most of the souths $7.25

$ 15 an hour barely pays for the waterbill in FL. :)

Percentages be damned, tell that to the poor republican voters in kentucky, mississippi and west virginia.
The problem is that if you are trying to make a point, you can be easily challenged. I think my OP about Republicans are Bonkers makes the same point without the ability of the naysayers to prove me wrong.

4be7y47rpe091.jpg

I get it's a feel good bill and as much as those 9 Republicans generally are loathsome creatures, I do have to wonder if 28 million dollars being paid to the FDA would actually do much. It's almost like no wonder the FDA hasn't done much these past couple months, even though it's been a known shortage for a while now, a blank check was seemingly on the horizon. 28 mil is a lot of money.

IMO the entire issue with this crisis in baby formula is another example of the push pull in what is mainly a capitalist system.

Capitalism says the marketplace will resolve its issues when it has them. Well what happens when an industry has been consolidated to the point where baby formula is and when companies put not profit motivation but the bottom line above everything else?

Abbot Labs let its Michigan facility fall apart.

Did Abbot ask the Federal Gov to step in? Not that I can see.

Did the industry ask the Federal Gov to step in? Not that I can see.

Should the Federal Gov have stepped in sooner? Probably.

Maybe just maybe if we were not so quick to burn Government's tail feathers off when they do step in they might be less reluctant to step in.

Back
Top Bottom