• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here are the 46 people whose sentences Obama just commuted[W:153]

Re: Here are the 46 people whose sentences Obama just commuted

I guess the real test would be to see how many of them end up charged with a crime again. that's if anyone follows up on it.

Wrong. if you are all about taking my rights away, perhaps you shouldn't be giving liberty to people convicted of the laws already on the books to prevent gun violence.

So he commutes the sentences for crimes you don't think should be crimes in the first place, and that makes you mad.

Yes, I think, if you get caught with a firearm in the commission of a felony, you should not be eligible to have your sentence commuted.

See.... I am more anti-gun-violence than you. and I don't want to restrict any law abiding citizens rights in doing so.,

Yes, I think, if you get caught with a firearm in the commission of a felony, you should not be eligible to have your sentence commuted. See.... I am more anti-gun-violence than you. and I don't want to restrict any law abiding citizens rights in doing so.,

Soooo you're for making those who permit minors to gain access to firearms by leaving them unsecured and then the minor kills or injures another with that firearm a felon and giving them real jailtime??? It more than fits your criteria- death or injury of another with a firearm rather than simple possession. Enabling young children to be killers through willful actions...

Personally I don't see 'gun' carry as a crime but rather the USE of firearms as the criminal act... why look I am less restrictive on 'gun' rights than you... ;)

Last edited:

Support or retract the bolded.

It will never happen... Doing so would require putting honesty above ideology, and that's a very tall order for those who embrace communism.

Now I am ALL for realaseasing all non-violent drug offenders. However, on this list are 4 people who were convicted on firearms related felonies. I find that disturbing that this president who wants to curb yours and my rights, would release people who were convicted of the existing gun laws today.

The commutation of Marc Rich by Clinton is still the most egregious abuse of Presidential power that I've seen in recent years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Rich

Last edited:

yeah but they were committed by black people so its totally different , the NRA doesn't support black people owning firearms

I'm sure you're being a bit sarcastic, but I do very well understand your point. ;)

Now I am ALL for realaseasing all non-violent drug offenders. However, on this list are 4 people who were convicted on firearms related felonies. I find that disturbing that this president who wants to curb yours and my rights, would release people who were convicted of the existing gun laws today.

Meanwhile, the raids continued. The DEA puts these people before a court, who sentences them, and then Obama commutes it in a few years.

Four months after the Ogden memo, Jeffrey Sweetin, the special agent in charge of the DEA’s Denver office, publicly disavowed the notion that the feds needed to consider state law at all. “It’s still a violation of federal law,” Sweetin told The Denver Post in February 2010. “The time is coming when we go into a dispensary, we find out what their profit is, we seize the building and we arrest everybody. They’re violating federal law; they’re at risk of arrest and imprisonment.”

Bummer - Reason.com

DEA.gov / Headquarters News Releases, 10/15/15

Which is not to say its Obamas fault. The law is the law, and his job is to enforce it. But I dont exactly see him trying to change it.

If you read the article you statement is a lie. The majority of the offenders wr were busted for crack (cocaine base). Crack dates back to almost 40 years ago.

Thanks for the info

There was no such of a thing as crack when these folks went to jail.............. Many were sent up on pot charges............ Ever hear of the Rockefeller drug laws? Look it up

Read up on their charges.

Yes, I think, if you get caught with a firearm in the commission of a felony, you should not be eligible to have your sentence commuted.

See.... I am more anti-gun-violence than you. and I don't want to restrict any law abiding citizens rights in doing so.,

The four guys on the list who happened to be carrying a firearm while drug dealing got 35, 42, 15, and 20 years respectively. All had already served at least ten years of that sentence. (one was like 25 years)

I'm against excessive punishment. See... I am more pro-constitution than you.

So you believe the mere possession of a gun makes you a violent felon. How can you support the 2nd amendment then?

So you believe the mere possession of a gun makes you a violent felon. How can you support the 2nd amendment then?

If you have a gun in your car while speeding, you are a violent felon!

What I am surprised at is so many people on this board have no problem letting drug dealers back out onto the streets.

I have no illusions about Obama.

I'm sure that the communities which they'll rejoin will welcome them with open arms.
I wonder how many others of those communities they'll murder shortly after their return to those communities?

So who's acting in the best interests of these communities? I have a hard time believing that Obama and his administration are the ones doing so.

Soooo you're for making those who permit minors to gain access to firearms by leaving them unsecured and then the minor kills or injures another with that firearm a felon and giving them real jailtime??? It more than fits your criteria- death or injury of another with a firearm rather than simple possession. Enabling young children to be killers through willful actions...

Yes, that's negligent homicide.... And should include the maximum jail time if it's charged as a misdemeanor, or similar jail time if charged as a low level felony.

Did you think I would be hypocritical in response to your strawman?

Personally I don't see 'gun' carry as a crime but rather the USE of firearms as the criminal act... why look I am less restrictive on 'gun' rights than you... ;)

If i knowingly am committing a felony and I bring a gun with me to do so, It's an aggravated crime. I am for giving people who commit crimes with guns extra time. Make it a deterrent to commit crimes with guns.

Since most gun crimes are committed by people with criminal records, it makes sense that for "sensible gun control" we punish those who commit crimes and are carrying a weapon, illegally.

Meanwhile, the raids continued. The DEA puts these people before a court, who sentences them, and then Obama commutes it in a few years.

Bummer - Reason.com

DEA.gov / Headquarters News Releases, 10/15/15

Which is not to say its Obamas fault. The law is the law, and his job is to enforce it. But I dont exactly see him trying to change it.

Under obama, gun crimes prosecution is at a historic low. If he really wanted to change gun violence he would be concetrating on enforcing the laws we have, not realeasing violent criminals who were caught illegally possessing guns early.

Did Marc Rich re-offend or kill somebody after he was released?

Perhaps you believe Bernie Madoff should be released as well.

Marc Rich was basically a traitor to his country and an embezzler and fraud - but I suppose, to some, that's no big deal. Who knows how many people his actions on behalf of Iraq and Israel ended up killing.

yeah but they were committed by black people so its totally different , the NRA doesn't support black people owning firearms

Valid source?

The four guys on the list who happened to be carrying a firearm while drug dealing got 35, 42, 15, and 20 years respectively. All had already served at least ten years of that sentence. (one was like 25 years)

I love it "who happened to be carrying a gun"...... the cognitive dissonence on this one is truly a sight to behold!

Me too, why didn't we start here?

Ten worst sentences for marijuana-related crimes - Salon.com
Top 10 Outrageous Marijuana Sentences - The Clemency Report

Why did obama release dudes with gun crimes on their records before these folks?

Jeesh you liberals are odd.... you seem more interested in gun laws that hurt people like me than those who are actually committing crimes while in possession of a gun.

I support fully the 2nd.

I also support the idea that it's an aggravating circumstance to be in possession of a gun while engaged in felonious actions. that has nothing to do with the 2nd.

See you folks want to make it difficult for guys like me to get a gun, but guys like this? the fact they were carrying a gun is no big deal to you.

If you have a gun in your car while speeding, you are a violent felon!

incorrect, that is a misdemeanor without negligence in relation to the firearm, in fact that's a simple moving violation.

I hope you knew that and were simply trying to be clever, because I would lose a little respect for your intellectual capacity should you seriously believe that dealing crack cocaine with a 9mm gat in your belt is the same as getting a ticket going to the range.

I know of a guy who ran afoul of federal felon in possession laws.

Short version a federal felon was called by mutual friends about another friend who lived next door to them. He was drunk, distraught and had a handgun out. The felon talked to him, got the gun away from him and gave it to the neighbors, specifically because he was forbidden to be in possession. Later in the evening the drunk friend ended up raging on the street in his underwear and the cops were called. The neighbors related what had happened, the guy got helped.

But a prosecutor noted that the felon was a federal felon and kicked it to the feds.

Who arrested him. And he was sentenced tto a mandatory minimum five years in federal prison. Judge said it was the worst thing he had ever had to do, but his hands were tied.

Maybe it was something like that.

I am sure you don't. What do I need to prove. Do drug dealers not sell to kids as well as adults?

Is everyone with a penis a rapist?

Back
Top Bottom