• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here’s how many people tested positive under Rick Snyder’s program to test welfare

Re: Here’s how many people tested positive under Rick Snyder’s program to test welfar

But we can agree that one of his cronies had stock or ownership in the drug testing company and made a small mint off this idiocy. Tell me when we start drug testing Federal and State Congress people. That's gonna be money well spent.

Re: Here’s how many people tested positive under Rick Snyder’s program to test welfar

Things like this is why I find it nearly impossible to vote GOP, no matter how much I dislike Mrs. Clinton.

There's this constant intrusive testing for their conformity standards: Drugs, sex, religion, party, etc!

We all have to be cookie-cutter to their standards.

It's like this party never heard of "Live & let Live"!

I'll stop before I Godwin here ...

Yes, before Trump started his run I couldn't stop bashing the GOP and conservatives. The hypocrisy was hard to tolerate.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm feeling a bit of the nationalist swing myself, which like most things I think is fine as long as not carried extreme to detriment. And I doubt you'll find anyone more *against* illegal immigration than me.

But really - do we want to see a religious test before entering the country? Scary stuff!

If there was a Trump equivalent in the White House during the times of the Italian waves of immigration into America, I wouldn't be here! :doh

Thank God they let us Catholics in ...
No it isn't. All Trump has to do is switch it from "Muslims" to "these countries in the middle east" and he'll be fine 'cuz there's nothing wrong with that.

No it isn't. All Trump has to do is switch it from "Muslims" to "these countries in the middle east" and he'll be fine 'cuz there's nothing wrong with that.
You know, there's some merit in this I think.

Even though it could/would still be construed to be anti-Muslim, it could be argued in national terms. But it's still problematic in that we may otherwise have good diplomatic relations with these countries (ex: Saufia Arabia, Qatar, etc.).

But right now the GOP Presidential nominee steadfastly & vehemently vows to enact a religious test before granting entry to America - and it is what it is.

I find this very disturbing.
You know, there's some merit in this I think.

Even though it could/would still be construed to be anti-Muslim, it could be argued in national terms. But it's still problematic in that we may otherwise have good diplomatic relations with these countries (ex: Saufia Arabia, Qatar, etc.).

But right now the GOP Presidential nominee steadfastly & vehemently vows to enact a religious test before granting entry to America - and it is what it is.

Florida did the same thing and with the same result. The bottom line: It isn't cost effective to drug test all of the people who get food stamps and the like. Now, were we to drug test Congress and boot out the druggies, that might just be worth the effort.

I find this very disturbing.
As you should! ;)

Florida did the same thing and with the same result. The bottom line: It isn't cost effective to drug test all of the people who get food stamps and the like. Now, were we to drug test Congress and boot out the druggies, that might just be worth the effort.
Yep - interesting to note all these tests and restrictions our legislators enact *never apply to them*!

But we can agree that one of his cronies had stock or ownership in the drug testing company and made a small mint off this idiocy. Tell me when we start drug testing Federal and State Congress people. That's gonna be money well spent.

Yeah, I know. I understand that government employees are just as likely to be drug users as are the people on welfare. Some government positions do require drug testing.

Ok, how many people do we need to test until we admit that it's a waste of time and resources? Should we continue testing until we find one black sheep? Is it more likely that welfare recipients are drug abusers or not, based on the data in the OP?

I agree that the probability of finding a single drug abuser increases as the population increases, so it would be nearly impossible to provide a confidence interval with any likelihood of not finding a drug abuser among 100,000,000 people. I don't think that finding one drug abuser would disprove my original statement that, in general, people do not buy drugs with welfare money. Of course, my question was directed toward the absolute "all of us commenting in this thread" and not a question of "all welfare recipients." Easy to see how that could be misconstrued. I am not leading you toward despotism.

You questioned by knowledge of statistics out of the gate. Why don't you prove yours by calculating how large a sample set is required to reach a high level of confidence and low margin of error. Since you appear to posses knowledge of statistical analysis and calculation, it shouldn't be hard to do. It's actually a rather common approach.

In the mean time:

Drug agents say EBT cards being used to buy drugs ? Politics ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine
Craigslist makes turning food stamps into cash a SNAP | Fox News
Sheriff: Federal 'EBT' Cards 'Ultimately Buying Drugs'
EBT cards showing up at drug seizures could reignite welfare reform debate - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

I could go on, but I think the point has been made.

Where have you been? An asteroid could blow a hole through the earth and we wouldn't "all" agree it was an asteroid.

;)

In answer to the question, though, you are probably mostly correct. There might be a relative handful that somehow convert their benefits to cash to buy drugs, but it's most likely a pretty small percentage. Not enough to get our collective panties in a wad.

Ok, how many people do we need to test until we admit that it's a waste of time and resources? Should we continue testing until we find one black sheep? Is it more likely that welfare recipients are drug abusers or not, based on the data in the OP?

I agree that the probability of finding a single drug abuser increases as the population increases, so it would be nearly impossible to provide a confidence interval with any likelihood of not finding a drug abuser among 100,000,000 people. I don't think that finding one drug abuser would disprove my original statement that, in general, people do not buy drugs with welfare money. Of course, my question was directed toward the absolute "all of us commenting in this thread" and not a question of "all welfare recipients." Easy to see how that could be misconstrued. I am not leading you toward despotism.
I have no way to prove this, of course, but IMO they know it's a waste of time, but it plays well to a base that wants to believe it (or, is vindictive in their thinking) and that helps keep them elected.

Where have you been? An asteroid could blow a hole through the earth and we wouldn't "all" agree it was an asteroid.

;)

In answer to the question, though, you are probably mostly correct. There might be a relative handful that somehow convert their benefits to cash to buy drugs, but it's most likely a pretty small percentage. Not enough to get our collective panties in a wad.

The asteroid was a liberal hoax. Well, there have been asteroids for a long time, so of course there still are asteroids, but human beings didn't have anything to do with it. The hole through the earth is greatly exaggerated. It really only goes down a few thousand feet or so. Actually, the asteroid might be a good thing, anyway, let's not do anything about it. I hit a chuck hole on the way to work, so the hole through the earth is no big deal. Science just wants us to believe it's an asteroid in order to keep the research dollars flowing.

I have no way to prove this, of course, but IMO they know it's a waste of time, but it plays well to a base that wants to believe it (or, is vindictive in their thinking) and that helps keep them elected.

Much like proposing to build a wall along the border with Mexico. It's a huge wast of time and money, won't actually accomplish anything, but it fools the voters into thinking that the politicians are addressing an important issue.

There is about the same amount of druggies on welfare as there is in the 1%. This simply put, is another attack on poor people. I like a bill proposed to drug test the 1%. If you are going to harass people it should start with the 1%. The wealthiest also account for welfare in the amount of tax breaks and many other things.

Drug-Test the 1 Percent - The Atlantic

Can we all agree that people aren't using welfare money to buy drugs for personal use?

Here’s how many people tested positive under Rick Snyder’s program to test welfare recipients for drugs – DeadState

I am not in favour of those drug tests, but couldn't the low results be a result of people not taking the test, if they know they will fail?

Damn furriners.
You really don't appreciate what a hard scrabble life most of these shopkeepers left to live a hardscrabble life here working on some faceless "family" bodega. They left corruption and poverty and came to a place where there seems to be no end of wealth just millimeters beyond their grasp.

And someone is just giving money away and all you have to do to get some is keep your mouth shut. Its freaking everywhere.

Welcome to America. You have made it. Now all you have to do is reach just a little bit farther.

Things like this is why I find it nearly impossible to vote GOP, no matter how much I dislike Mrs. Clinton.

There's this constant intrusive testing for their conformity standards: Drugs, sex, religion, party, etc!

We all have to be cookie-cutter to their standards.

It's like this party never heard of "Live & let Live"!

I'll stop before I Godwin here ...

So you're good with people spending welfare money on drugs?

Money is fungible.

In California you buy groceries with your ebt card for the guy next door who pays you for them.

Or you to to a liquor store that takes EBT cards, most are run my foreigners, and they ring up liquor as food and take a cut. (assuming they know you).

Most have a "program" going - child care, laundry, house cleaning, things I won't mention, all to supplement the welfare income. The man is working cash for a gardener, roofer, etc.

We are the world's biggest suckers.

Most do not have a scam going. Most welfare recipients are women with children, and they need their food stamps to supplement their meals. Most of them also work.

Most states do not give money or benefits to adults w/o children other than a small amount of food assistance that amounts to very little. Certainly not enough to sell for anything.

If you're looking for fraud, it's everywhere. Wherever there are people, there is fraud. If you're looking for big bucks fraud, look at corporations and very wealthy people. They're the ones who hide money, shift money around in different accounts, send money overseas, and hire accountants to search for iffy loopholes. There's your fraud that matters the most to you and me and other taxpayers.

Most do not have a scam going. Most welfare recipients are women with children, and they need their food stamps to supplement their meals. Most of them also work.

Most states do not give money or benefits other than a small amount of food assistance that amounts to very little. Certainly not enough to sell for anything.

If you're looking for fraud, it's everywhere. Wherever there are people, there is fraud. If you're looking for big bucks fraud, look at corporations and very wealthy people. They're the ones who hide money, shift money around in different accounts, send money overseas, and hire accountants to search for iffy loopholes. There's your fraud that mattes to most to you and me and other taxpayers.
This was over 30 years ago, so things have certainly changed in some way, but back then I dated a woman who lived in a questionable neighborhood. Remember that cheese the government used to give out? That was some GOOD stuff. Tasty. Smooth. Melted in cooking fabulously. Well, through her I would buy blocks of that cheese for $5 each. We always presumed it was going to be drug money. Fine, whatever, I really didn't give a rat's ass then, and I still don't give a rat's ass today.

So, as I mentioned in a previous post, there is no doubt some converting of government benefits going on, and as you say there will always be some fraud, but even with my own experiences I don't believe it is a huge problem.

I am not in favour of those drug tests, but couldn't the low results be a result of people not taking the test, if they know they will fail?

Yes, it's possible that government data is biased from flawed methodology. Shouldn't we test the rich for "performance" enhancing drugs to make sure they're not putting the people's performance at a disadvantage?

Anyone can pass a drug test if they are given enough notice and no one is watching you pee into a cup.If they were to show up unannounced at these peoples doorstep and have them pee right in the cup in front of them the results will be drastically different.

Anyone can pass a drug test if they are given enough notice and no one is watching you pee into a cup.If they were to show up unannounced at these peoples doorstep and have them pee right in the cup in front of them the results will be drastically different.

So, you think the people tested cheated? Is there any evidence to support that conclusion?

These programs have shown over and over to be big money wasters.

Yea, so let's waste millions more to keep giving drug tests to people who pass them. Duh!!

That is not a bit true. I can speak from experience. When I was doing probation for my DWI (which was eventually dismissed - long story), I saw loads of people being taken to jail from the probation office because they thought they could cheat on a drug test. They were given plenty of notice of their tests too.

Back
Top Bottom