• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here’s an alternative to Trump’s extortion

That time will come well before 2020.... How many TSA personnel do you think will be around in say, 45 days, if this keeps going? It is against federal law for a commercial airline to depart the gate with passengers who have not been cleared by TSA. I don't think the senate will want to be responsible for shutting down commercial aviation...

Are border guards still being paid ?

Nope, ICE and CBP are not being paid as well as the FBI, federal court workers, etc... At some point soon, people will begin to leave and it will become a national emergency but the wall will be the least of the GOP's worries...

Nope, ICE and CBP are not being paid as well as the FBI, federal court workers, etc... At some point soon, people will begin to leave and it will become a national emergency but the wall will be the least of the GOP's worries...

Maybe that's Trump's new plan...wait to declare a national emergency until he has genuinely created one.

Did you know that Secret Service aren't even being paid?
Talk about playing a game of chicken...only a real actual MOBSTER would consider jeopardizing their own Secret Service detail.
I used to think that Donald Trump just "did business WITH" a lot of gangsters, now it is becoming very clear that President Trump really IS an actual gangster, a genuine, bonafide mobbed up gangster, and just because he cannot trace his family back to Sicily doesn't mean anything, it just means he is not part of the Italian "Cosa Nostra".
Meyer Lanksy, Mickey Cohen and Bugsy Siegel weren't Cosa Nostra either but they were genuine gangsters all the same.

Maybe that's Trump's new plan...wait to declare a national emergency until he has genuinely created one.

Could be.... immigration judges are also not getting paid... Deportation cases are being delayed... Eventually the courts may step in and order the release of those in detention if the administration is not able to provide adequate care.

What is an activist judge?

An activist judge is defined as any judge who rules in a way that conservatives don't like. Consequently, a judge can be an activist judge one day and be a conservative darling the next day. It all depends on how he/she rules on any given question.

The American people seem as divided as the government right now. This is the wrong us vs. them mentality. I'd love to see us pull our heads out of our a$$es and realize its us - the American people - versus them - our self serving government. Everyone on the hill needs to be reminded that their position is one of service first, not privilege. The swamp truly needs to be drained. I'd sincerely hoped our POTUS would do just that but he's just brought his own degenerates and criminals.

An activist judge is defined as any judge who rules in a way that conservatives don't like. Consequently, a judge can be an activist judge one day and be a conservative darling the next day. It all depends on how he/she rules on any given question.

Thanks, but I was more interested in hearing the definition used by the poster who claims to be a lawyer.

Well...

https://www.dhs.gov/deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca

This "program" was not enacted by law. It was created by a Presidential executive order. Any such order can typically be rescinded by any subsequent President under normal circumstances.

Abnormal circumstances can occur when someone finds an "activist" Federal judge (like the Eastern District of New York) who rules otherwise:

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/...-response-january-2018-preliminary-injunction

Trump had the authority to do what he did. He is not the first President to rescind a prior President's executive order, and will not be the last.

And before someone accuses me of "racism" (strange, I thought the Left's narrative has been that Black citizens can't be racist :unsure13: ) I am on record as having no problems with any deal allowing a final "amnesty" for DACA members in exchange for a ban on future amnesty programs. If immigration needs be modified, do it by act of Congress. :coffeepap:

What is an activist judge?

A judge who does not regularly issue decisions that further the political goals of people on the hard right. Clearly.

If Adverse is what he says, he knows at some level that all this fuss about supposed "originalists" vs "activists" is bull, and that really judges do the same fundamental thing in the vast majority of cases because there is no original intent about the kind of modern questions that come up. They're all trying to apply old ideas to new situations. The "originalists" are merely trying to bootstrap their position into a greater sense of credibility by pretending that they're the ones applying an actual original intent to questions the founders couldn't have imagined.

(And also unlike popular prejudice would have it, judges do not decide cases based on whether they like the liberal or conservative platform. They get labeled conservative or liberal judges, yes, but the label is being applied by politically-minded folk based on whether their decisions tend to further the current political goals of one "side" or the other. But the decisions themselves weren't driven by some desire to further that political goal.)

A judge who does not regularly issue decisions that further the political goals of people on the hard right.

If Adverse is what he says, he knows at some level that all this fuss about supposed "originalists" vs "activists" is bull, and that really judges do the same fundamental thing in the vast majority of cases because there is no original intent about the kind of modern questions that come up. They're all trying to apply old ideas to new situations. The "originalists" are merely trying to bootstrap their position into a greater sense of credibility by pretending that they're the ones applying an actual original intent to questions the founders couldn't have imagined.

Which is why I am so interested in what Adverse means, and so convinced he will not answer.

Here’s an alternative to Trump’s extortion

imrs.php

The Trump, Kushner, Mulvaney offer of yesterday is a non-starter throw-away and they already knew this when it was released. This was simply a Trumpian attempt to put the ball back in the Democrat court. They are still playing zero-sum politics with the lives of over a million Americans that are now directly affected by Trumps shutdown. 30 days in now, and the Trump administration is still playing their silly games. It still hasn't sunk in that the GOP no longer controls all levers of government.

Democrats can go to hell.

Not one single liberal on these forums has called out their own leadership regarding being in favor of a wall over the past 10 or so years.

Liberals are full of ****.

Not one single liberal on these forums has called out their own leadership regarding being in favor of a wall over the past 10 or so years.

Actually the only real evidence of SOME dems being in favor of some sort of physical barrier is the 2006 Secure Fence Act. The Bill that came after it the Right yammers constantly about was another of these lets make a deal Bills that fortunately FAILED. Every single one of these Lets make a deal Bills are designed to let Politicians off the hook so they don't actually do the hard work of Legislating but can all claim victory. I am glad the later Bill FAILED and I am glad all 4 of them offered on the floor of the Senate in 2018 also FAILED.

It does not matter what you say liberals wanted in the past. They are saying no NOW. It doesn't matter why. All that matters is they have said "No." The president can stomp his feet, hold his breath, or destroy 800,000 lives plus their families if he thinks this is what will get the liberals to cave. Pelosi has said she will not capitulate or surrender to hostage-taking. Her position is "Open the government, then we will negotiate border security." In contrast, Trump says "Give me $5.7 billion for the wall and I will open the government."

This right out of Trump's "Art of the Deal." You must get your counterpart in the negotiation to perform whatever you want before you perform your end of the deal. Pelosi must have read his book.

Liberals and moderates have always supported funding border security, that works.

Not a "Trump style" wall.

...This right out of Trump's "Art of the Deal." You must get your counterpart in the negotiation to perform whatever you want before you perform your end of the deal. Pelosi must have read his book.

You must be referring to Tony Schwartz.

People who don't read book, don't write them...

It does not matter what you say liberals wanted in the past. They are saying no NOW. It doesn't matter why. All that matters is they have said "No." The president can stomp his feet, hold his breath, or destroy 800,000 lives plus their families if he thinks this is what will get the liberals to cave. Pelosi has said she will not capitulate or surrender to hostage-taking. Her position is "Open the government, then we will negotiate border security." In contrast, Trump says "Give me $5.7 billion for the wall and I will open the government."

This right out of Trump's "Art of the Deal." You must get your counterpart in the negotiation to perform whatever you want before you perform your end of the deal. Pelosi must have read his book.

Hypocrites.

And you lap it right up.

Hypocrites.

And you lap it right up.

I'm gonna guess you just woke up from a coma and missed the last two years. Let me see if I can catch you up fairly quickly....

Donald Trump was elected President. The Republicans controlled the House and the Senate. Good deal, you would say, right? Well, it was a great deal if what you were looking for them to accomplish was giving tax breaks to those that needed them the least and getting a drunken fratboy onto the Supreme Court. If you were looking for them to do something about the problem of illegal immigration, it wasn't such a great deal, with the two things above taking up so much valuable time because the President couldn't even keep his own damned party in order.

So as a recap....they could have done basically anything they wanted to for two years, and they didn't do a damned thing about illegal immigration. Care to take a stab at the reason for that? Here's a hint....because they don't really care. None of they ever actually intended to get a wall built, because the majority of people don't want it built. That, however, doesn't stop them from using it as red meat for the base, who is needed for them to keep the power they have.

Talk about lapping it up...you guys bought the lie hook, line and sinker.

That's BS...they are calling it immoral now.

Blow that up some one else's butt.

I do not blow butts.

I type facts. If you can't deal with facts, so be it.

I'm gonna guess you just woke up from a coma and missed the last two years. Let me see if I can catch you up fairly quickly....

Donald Trump was elected President. The Republicans controlled the House and the Senate. Good deal, you would say, right? Well, it was a great deal if what you were looking for them to accomplish was giving tax breaks to those that needed them the least and getting a drunken fratboy onto the Supreme Court. If you were looking for them to do something about the problem of illegal immigration, it wasn't such a great deal, with the two things above taking up so much valuable time because the President couldn't even keep his own damned party in order.

So as a recap....they could have done basically anything they wanted to for two years, and they didn't do a damned thing about illegal immigration. Care to take a stab at the reason for that? Here's a hint....because they don't really care. None of they ever actually intended to get a wall built, because the majority of people don't want it built. That, however, doesn't stop them from using it as red meat for the base, who is needed for them to keep the power they have.

Talk about lapping it up...you guys bought the lie hook, line and sinker.

I didn't vote for Trump, and I don't like Trump.

Get back to me when the core of your debate isn't built upon assumptions.

Ironic because it's entirely likely he'd never read it himself.

Back
Top Bottom