• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Her pants are on fire!

Ok, so a 19-year-old girl made a left turn and clipped Tom's car as he was sitting at the stop sign waiting to make a left turn himself. She kept driving. Tom thought she'd turn around and come back, but she didn't. So he turned around and eventually saw her outside the car looking at the damage and her flat tire. He stopped, she was all upset. "I'm so sorry....don't call the police. I'll pay for the damage!" So they exchanged information, and Tom didn't call the cops.

Well, you KNOW what happened. She told her dad Tom hit her. Dad called Tom and asked him to stop over to talk about it. Tom told him his daughter hit him. Dad called the cops and they showed up at the door.

So we have a mess.

When you have a car accident, for God's sake! No matter how pretty, sweet and upset someone is! Call the cops at the scene!

The cop was going to call the dad and tell him Tom wouldn't be coming to his house. How old do you have to be to know what to do in cases of an accident??

YEP!! Always get a police report filed. Most insurance companies base the assignment of responsibility on the police report and if there isn't one, then it's "he said/she said" and a big pain in the ass investigation. But if you get the police involved, then there's a legal assessment done at the scene and responsibility gets assigned and if someone wants to challenge that, then they can take it before a traffic court judge.

Ok, so a 19-year-old girl made a left turn and clipped Tom's car as he was sitting at the stop sign waiting to make a left turn himself. She kept driving. Tom thought she'd turn around and come back, but she didn't. So he turned around and eventually saw her outside the car looking at the damage and her flat tire. He stopped, she was all upset. "I'm so sorry....don't call the police. I'll pay for the damage!" So they exchanged information, and Tom didn't call the cops.

Well, you KNOW what happened. She told her dad Tom hit her. Dad called Tom and asked him to stop over to talk about it. Tom told him his daughter hit him. Dad called the cops and they showed up at the door.

So we have a mess.

When you have a car accident, for God's sake! No matter how pretty, sweet and upset someone is! Call the cops at the scene!

The cop was going to call the dad and tell him Tom wouldn't be coming to his house. How old do you have to be to know what to do in cases of an accident??

Cops will usually not show for a slight fender bender. Show up is determined by severity, road blockage and injuries. The very first thing you do is call your insurance agency and get your side on record. Take photos, of the cars and the scene, note that it was a hit and run and give the other driver 30 days to cover your loss. Get estimates, and if she or her insurance agency don't cough: go to small claims: you'll clean house.

if she or her insurance agency don't cough: go to small claims: you'll clean house.

Thank you! I hate to be that guy, but hey, I can't afford to pay for your mistakes.

This is good advice and I would definitely want a lawyer or legal advice in that situation.

Last edited:
A woman backed into me in a parking lot. I called the cops.

She said, "I don't have time to wait!"

I said, "Suit yourself. I took a photo of you and your plate. I think that's called leaving the scene of an accident."

She stayed. Quite pissed.

In the meantime, I approached a man I thought had seen what happened, he had. Gave me his name and work phone. Her insurance company initially told me, "It's she-said she-said. We aren't taking responsibility." I gave him the witness name, he called him and they paid for everything, including a rental car.

I bought Tom a dash cam a few years ago. He didn't want it. Took it back. Hmmmm. :lol

I will say that pics and videos do NOT take the place of cops at the scene though. Wonderful adjunct, but not instead of.

Never said instead of but if we have a tool we should use it.

So we have a mess.

It can happen - even when you really, really want to do the right thing. Cops don't even like to come out to a simple accident because it is paperwork for them. But, even if someone wants to pay out of pocket, get a record from an officer to prove your side, just in case.

Basically, what I'm getting from this thread is that this is really only an issue for people under thirty. And absolutely anyone over forty knows never to trust another living thing where cars are involved.

Basically, what I'm getting from this thread is that this is really only an issue for people under thirty. And absolutely anyone over forty knows never to trust another living thing where cars are involved.

What about licenses being "our rights taken by the government, repackaged and sold to us?" Older people do tend to be more conservative, but that doesn't mean they don't take **** from young people, like our friend here.

:lol:

Kinda related personal experience.

I was in my house, and my car was parked across the street.

Suddenly, I hear a crash out front. I come out of the house to see a damaged car sitting with it's nose in my drive way, and it's back end hanging out in the road. I glance across to my car, still in it's spot, with the left front wheel nearly torn off.

I called 911, stated a car accident with a damaged car blocking the street. A cop came right on over. He looked at the scene, looked at me. "What happened?" He asks. I related the above to him. He then pointed to the car in my driveway and asked 'Is that your car?'. "Nope. Mine is across the street". "That's parked legally" he stated. "Yup. It is". He then looks at the 20 something. "Is that your car?", pointing at her car in my driveway. Tears from her.

He called for two wreckers, and while we are waiting, I came to find out that both of us had the same insurance carrier. I got mine fixed, no charged, no deductible, nothing. I can't imagine what the insurance company did to her. All I can think is that she was texting or talking and driving around the corner and never straightened the steering wheel out, and hit my parked car.

I can only imagine the same as the OP's story if the cop handn't been there.

Back
Top Bottom