• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Helping Yourself Harry Reid?

gordontravels

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Senator Harry Reid, gigantic pork scooper from Nevada and Democrat Leader in the Senate is taking politics to a new low. Members of his party should be concerned because I think the country has had enough of what Mr. Reid wants in the face of the next hurricane.

Hurricane Rita is in the gulf and moving toward Texas and Federal and of course, state officials are making preparations to evacuate Galveston Texas. Galveston is the scene of the worst hurricane disaster or any disaster in our history. Over 6,000 people died in 1900 when a hurricane flooded the city with a huge storm surge.

The 14 foot seawall has never been tested in Galveston since it was built and Rita is expected to have a storm surge of 20 to 25 feet. Lost in the news of Katrina was that before the storm hit Louisiana, Texas officials were not only preparing for possible evacuees but also preparing in case Katrina came farther west. They were preparing.

Now that Texas is once again preparing for a storm that actually has a very good chance of hitting them Senator Harry Reid wants to know why they are having all this preparation and it wasn't done in Louisiana. Is this blame before maybe people die? Is this the blood in the water senario so the feeding frenzy can begin before people are even out of harms way? Is this some kind of profit for the Democrat Party; something to be gained with their accusations and race baiting and cheap profiteering at the expense of what could be victims and officials that are trying their best?

Is this blaming people for being prepared? Considering there is going to be an investigation into all levels of government over Katrina, what is Mr. Reid seeking. Truth, consequences or booty like a pirate taking advantage during the storm?

Senator Reid is making noise about investigating government response into Katrina especially since Texas is doing so much right now. I guess Texas should have been more low key. Of course they have been ready for hurricanes since well before Katrina but wouldn't you think they would have learned something extra from Katrina? Is that not a good thing with Rita in the gulf and threatening? If you watch the news they are talking about nothing else.

Politicians, any politicians of the Republicans or Democrats, that try to profit politically from Katrina, Rita or any officials that now try to save property and lives is one sick puppy and I see Harry Reid throwing up right there in our media. Lives Mr. Reid. Preparation Mr. Reid. Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas Mr. Reid. Our fellow citizens, white, black, rich, poor and hopefully alive because of preparation. You didn't say anything about Jeb Bush and his preparations for Rita. He does a good job, doesn't he?

Profit from it in Nevada Mr. Reid. What a shame you are trying to politically and not at the very least waiting until the storm passes. Partisans will no doubt applaud you in your blood lust but at least, maybe the people of Texas are too busy to worry about your ill thought words coupled with your ill timing. You should be ashamed.
:duel :cool:

gordontravels...I'm going to make this as simple as I can...

Did you expect anything less?:roll:

cnredd said:
gordontravels...I'm going to make this as simple as I can...

Did you expect anything less?:roll:

No but actually I expected quite a bit more from a "leader".

Al Gore, at a great expense to himself and with the help of others, chartered two large private jets, filled them with food, water and medical supplies and flew them in, with the landing permission of FEMA and local government to Louisiana. He didn't seek publicity and you have heard little of his effort if at all. He did what he could for his neighbors and didn't seek personal or political favor from anyone.

John Kerry got UPS to donate a plane and organizations to donate food, drink and medication and sent it into Louisiana. It was reported but John Kerry didn't try to capitalize on it for his own purposes. His purpose was to help. A conservative news organization made waves about how he used other people's money and not his own. Shame on that organization that couldn't see the good for their own political bias, partisanship and agenda.

These were Democrats doing something from the heart; something to help; something constructive and helpful and for the right reasons. These were Americans coming together for the benefit of their brothers and sisters; the children and the old and the sick.

Harry Reid is without reason of heart, help or restraint. He is one of the vultures you hear about. As officials in Houston worry about the people in Louisiana in their shelters, Harry Reid plays politics. As the people of southern Louisiana and the Texas coast have to deal with fear, Harry Reid Plays politics. As families with children, hospital patients, individuals, the elderly and even those in jail have to be taken care of, Harry Reid plays politics.

Please Harry! If you have to roll up your sleves, at the very least, why not be constructive instead of looking for destruction. In my most non-partisan thoughts I can't see you wanting to just destroy the Republican Administration or skip making disaster preparation better. It's your timing that tells me you want to profit politically from the past and even the coming storm.

There will be investigation. There will be blame. There will be improvement in our disaster preparedness. Why can't you concentrate on what's important now Mr. Reid. Do you need to smear your own party so badly that you just want to feed on the misery? Shame is the word and I didn't make it up for the likes of you. You came and got it.

Senator Harry Reid, gigantic pork scooper from Nevada and Democrat Leader in the Senate is taking politics to a new low. Members of his party should be concerned because I think the country has had enough of what Mr. Reid wants in the face of the next hurricane.

Hurricane Rita is in the gulf and moving toward Texas and Federal and of course, state officials are making preparations to evacuate Galveston Texas. Galveston is the scene of the worst hurricane disaster or any disaster in our history. Over 6,000 people died in 1900 when a hurricane flooded the city with a huge storm surge.

The 14 foot seawall has never been tested in Galveston since it was built and Rita is expected to have a storm surge of 20 to 25 feet. Lost in the news of Katrina was that before the storm hit Louisiana, Texas officials were not only preparing for possible evacuees but also preparing in case Katrina came farther west. They were preparing.

Now that Texas is once again preparing for a storm that actually has a very good chance of hitting them Senator Harry Reid wants to know why they are having all this preparation and it wasn't done in Louisiana. Is this blame before maybe people die? Is this the blood in the water senario so the feeding frenzy can begin before people are even out of harms way? Is this some kind of profit for the Democrat Party; something to be gained with their accusations and race baiting and cheap profiteering at the expense of what could be victims and officials that are trying their best?

Is this blaming people for being prepared? Considering there is going to be an investigation into all levels of government over Katrina, what is Mr. Reid seeking. Truth, consequences or booty like a pirate taking advantage during the storm?

Senator Reid is making noise about investigating government response into Katrina especially since Texas is doing so much right now. I guess Texas should have been more low key. Of course they have been ready for hurricanes since well before Katrina but wouldn't you think they would have learned something extra from Katrina? Is that not a good thing with Rita in the gulf and threatening? If you watch the news they are talking about nothing else.

gordontravels said:
Politicians, any politicians of the Republicans or Democrats, that try to profit politically from Katrina, Rita or any officials that now try to save property and lives is one sick puppy and I see Harry Reid throwing up right there in our media. Lives Mr. Reid. Preparation Mr. Reid. Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas Mr. Reid. Our fellow citizens, white, black, rich, poor and hopefully alive because of preparation. You didn't say anything about Jeb Bush and his preparations for Rita. He does a good job, doesn't he?

I'm a democrat, and I agree with you. It's shameful to play the blame game and capitalize on misfortune for political gain. He's using dirty tactics and he should be ashamed. I also happen to live in Florida. I give credit to Jeb for doing an outstanding job in preparing and responding to disaster here in our state.

Profit from it in Nevada Mr. Reid. What a shame you are trying to politically and not at the very least waiting until the storm passes. Partisans will no doubt applaud you in your blood lust but at least, maybe the people of Texas are too busy to worry about your ill thought words coupled with your ill timing. You should be ashamed.

gordontravels said:

I'm a democrat, and I agree with you. It's shameful to play the blame game and capitalize on misfortune for political gain. He's using dirty tactics and he should be ashamed. I also happen to live in Florida. I give credit to Jeb for doing an outstanding job in preparing and responding to disaster here in our state.

Before you give Senator Kerry too high marks on this one:

". . .Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) unleashed a furious attack on the Bush administration at a Brown University speech yesterday, upbraiding the president’s response to the hurricane that recently devastated the Gulf Coastand tying it to what he sees as other flaws at the White House.

“This is the Katrina administration,” read prepared remarks posted on 2004 Democratic presidential nominee’s website, www.johnkerry.com. “Katrina is a symbol of all this administration does and doesn't do,” read Kerry’s script, portions of which were included in an e-mail to supporters that ended with a fundraising appeal. . .

In a brief interview, Tracey Schmitt, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee, called Kerry’s pitch for cash “repulsive.”

In a news release, she said, “John Kerry's attacks on President Bush's efforts to assist the victims and rebuild the Gulf Coast don't come as a surprise. Armchair quarterbacking on tough issues has never been a problem for Senator Kerry. The American people have pulled together during a difficult time and Democrats’ efforts to politicize this tragedy are unsavory at best.”

While Kerry’s speech may play well with the Democratic base, Sarah Binder, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and a professor at George Washington University, said the senator has a tough challenge to pin blame on Bush"
http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/092005/brief4.html

Did you hear his speech? I did. It was shameful.

When I see a John Kerry or an Al Gore do something that is born of helping victims I have no problem separating that act from their rhetoric. What do you expect of Republicans and Democrats? That they like each other? Wouldn't that be better for the country and therefore worse for their party? If Republicans and Democrats actually tried to work together and do something to improve our country instead of trying to create scandal, that would be good for us and make them seem kind of the same right? Then couldn't you just get it down to who was the most handsome or pretty to vote for because you could trust them, Democrats and Republicans, to do their job?

Sure, tear down someone for their words; here, there, it's the game that's played for advantage or votes. Let all know who is just so evil that they get elected President or maybe Senator or a member of Congress. They are all Democrats and Republicans after all. That's where a Harry Reid comes from in the first place. A guy that wants advantage during a disaster that didn't hit his state. Why can't he wait for the dust to settle? Oh that's right it's dusty in Nevada. Why can't he wait for the water level to go down before demanding the heads of the Democrat Mayor, The Democrat Governor, The Democrat Senator and the Republican President?

Is he really that upset that Texas is ready and Louisiana wasn't? Remember, this is BEFORE the storm when the local and state are totally responsible. Harry? Those, like most in Texas were and are Democrats and Republicans.

Harry Reid is a partisan hack in the mold of Republicans and Democrats that went before, stand beside him and will come again. Wise up people; we need a totally new non-partisan system with us in charge.

I'm searching for a transcript of Reid's speech, do you happen to have one?
All I've found is something said by his spokeswoman:

"It's nice to have the Bush administration recognize the importance of a federal response to Rita, but why weren't they proactively mobilizing and organizing like this for Katrina?" said Rebecca Kirszner, a spokeswoman for Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

"These are the questions that need to be asked by an independent commission," Kirszner said.

Seems fair enough there. Since even Bush wasn't pleased with the handling of Katrina, it would make sense for the federal government to investigate the wheres and whys it went wrong and attempt to make sure they don't happen again. I feel like I'm missing something that might come out of a transcript of Reid's speech though.

shuamort said:
I'm searching for a transcript of Reid's speech, do you happen to have one?
All I've found is something said by his spokeswoman:

Seems fair enough there. Since even Bush wasn't pleased with the handling of Katrina, it would make sense for the federal government to investigate the wheres and whys it went wrong and attempt to make sure they don't happen again. I feel like I'm missing something that might come out of a transcript of Reid's speech though.

I watched it on C-span. Maybe there is a transcript on their website? I haven't looked. That's where I watched Kerry's speech too.

Today I was watching CNN showing the people of Galveston, Texas City, et al being loaded onto school busses complete with their luggage, pets in carriers, and at least one plant. No panic, no pushing, no hostilities. Everybody seemed in good spirits and were headed off well out of harms way.

It was the local authorities who were running the evacuation; not the governor; not the President; not FEMA.

This is the way it is supposed to work.

It just seems to me that there is time enough later to evaluate what went wrong and why it went wrong at all levels. But when there are still people to be rescued, bodies still in the water, people who have lost everything needing to be restored, I would think the politicians on both sides of the aisle would roll up their sleeves and get busy to do what needs to be done. Those who attempt to politicize the misery and loss of others are just plain despicable.

Is this it?

---------------------------------------------------------
I also started a thread about Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions looking for a rich corpse from Katrina's wake to push through his estate tax repeal.

Wyldinstinct said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it nice to have a brother as president??? Jr was probably talking to Jeb the minute a hurricane OR storm even thought about going near Florida.

Face it, Jeb helped Jr get re-elected (and NOT by campaigning for him) so Jr returned the favor to Jeb VIA FAST and MUCHO help with the hurricanes they got hit by!

SAD that Bush doesn't have brothers as Governors in ALL states, he would have won every state and would help every state that had a hurricane PRONTO!
So SORRY states that don't have Jeb as a Gov, when you get hit you will have to wait for Bush to finish playing golf and jogging for him to respond to your national emergencies.

taxpayer said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it nice to have a brother as president??? Jr was probably talking to Jeb the minute a hurricane OR storm even thought about going near Florida.

Face it, Jeb helped Jr get re-elected (and NOT by campaigning for him) so Jr returned the favor to Jeb VIA FAST and MUCHO help with the hurricanes they got hit by!

SAD that Bush doesn't have brothers as Governors in ALL states, he would have won every state and would help every state that had a hurricane PRONTO!
So SORRY states that don't have Jeb as a Gov, when you get hit you will have to wait for Bush to finish playing golf and jogging for him to respond to your national emergencies.

I'll respond to this one. One of the most despicable posts I have seen on any forum ever. :duel :cool:

taxpayer said:
Isn't it nice to have a brother as president???
You mean like Democrat John F. Kennedy, who made his brother Attourney General?

taxpayer said:
Face it, Jeb helped Jr get re-elected (and NOT by campaigning for him)
"Jr" also had help from a few million American voters.

taxpayer said:
Bush won in lots of States where he has no relatives.

taxpayer said:
At least Jeb made the phone call, unlike Blanco or Nagin. Any criticism in that deep well of cynicism for them?

AlbqOwl said:
I would think the politicians on both sides of the aisle would roll up their sleeves and get busy to do what needs to be done. Those who attempt to politicize the misery and loss of others are just plain despicable.
Strike while the iron is hot. And who cares about dignity when the American people collectively can't remember what happened two years ago? Everyone will forget the timing and remember the "feelings", which will be: the Republicans screwed up. Keep repeating it over and over and that's what people will remember, heck, it worked with Vietnam.

Back
Top Bottom