• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Help me figure this out....

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
The next steps for the struggle against the draft will include a conference on youth and resistance on April 16. This conference will address the return of the draft, economic conscription and youth organizing.

The conference will focus on concrete actions to shut down recruiting and fight the draft—including a campaign to get United States Army’s Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps out of schools. These actions will include implementing an opt-out program so that information about students is not given to military recruiters, and an educators’ petition demanding that time be given in schools to talk about the truth behind military recruiting and to educate about the draft.

http://www.workers.org/2005/us/protest-draft-0414/

I'm reading this article and I come across the statement above in bold...

I'm puzzled...If volunteer recruitment is shut down, wouldn't that force a draft?

Why would anyone want to stop people from willingly going into the military when the result would be to force people into the military?

I would think that those who oppose the draft would WANT voluntary recruitment so the government won't make people go involuntarily.

It sounds like a contradiction in terms...Am I missing something?

cnredd said:
The next steps for the struggle against the draft will include a conference on youth and resistance on April 16. This conference will address the return of the draft, economic conscription and youth organizing.

The conference will focus on concrete actions to shut down recruiting and fight the draft—including a campaign to get United States Army’s Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps out of schools. These actions will include implementing an opt-out program so that information about students is not given to military recruiters, and an educators’ petition demanding that time be given in schools to talk about the truth behind military recruiting and to educate about the draft.

http://www.workers.org/2005/us/protest-draft-0414/

I'm reading this article and I come across the statement above in bold...

I'm puzzled...If volunteer recruitment is shut down, wouldn't that force a draft?

Why would anyone want to stop people from willingly going into the military when the result would be to force people into the military?

I would think that those who oppose the draft would WANT voluntary recruitment so the government won't make people go involuntarily.

It sounds like a contradiction in terms...Am I missing something?

I read the article. If your missing something, then count me clueless with you. The only fair assumption (key word, cuz it's a stab in the dark) is when you read further in that paragraph, they're talking about including a campaign to get United States Army’s Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps out of schools. These actions will include implementing an opt-out program so that information about students is not given to military recruiters, perhaps that's what they mean by "shutting down recruiting? In the high schools? Just a guess

Back
Top Bottom