• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Help kids with cancer? Reid asks: 'Why would we want to do that?'[W:97]

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is blaming Republicans for the National Institutes of Health turning away cancer patients. But when asked why the Senate wouldn't try to help "one child who has cancer" by approving a mini-spending bill, he shot back: "Why would we want to do that?"

Help kids with cancer? Reid asks: 'Why would we want to do that?' | Fox News

so the truth comes out the democrats deliberately and purposely hurting the American public to cause as much pain and even death for political gain "my way or the high way even if it kills children"

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of that exchange missing from their piece. I saw the exchange on CNN.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of that exchange missing from their piece. I saw the exchange on CNN.

So you are saying the Fair and Balanced Faux News is not telling the whole story. Well color me shocked!!!

Jesus Christ how far gone do you have to be to believe this was an accurate presentation of what happened?

P.S. Bills of Attainder are unconstitutional.

You mean faux news edited footage? But they are so honest and fair?

It's the whole hypocrisy history that makes it so tasty ...

“House Republicans… are determined to gut the nutrition assistance program” – Harry Reid
"If you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn't you do it?" - asked of Harry Reid.
"Why would we want to do that?” – Harry Reid
"Republicans ... have literally resorted to accusing me of not caring about kids with cancer. Shameful," - Harry Reid

So you are saying the Fair and Balanced Faux News is not telling the whole story. Well color me shocked!!!

The order is what is bugging me. I didn't think to pay that much attention to Bash's question and response at the time, but if I am recalling correctly (and there is a possibility that I am not), the immediate response of "why would we do that" came much later, and furthermore, at some point of his response he made absolutely clear it was-from his perception-due to the disingenuous nature of the "compromises" offered in order to go after their "obsession" (his word) in Obamacare by way of shutting down the whole government.

The only piece missing was Harry originally dancing around the question before it had to be asked again.
Then he said what he said.

It's the whole hypocrisy history that makes it so tasty ...

“House Republicans… are determined to gut the nutrition assistance program” – Harry Reid
"If you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn't you do it?" - asked of Harry Reid.
"Why would we want to do that?” – Harry Reid
"Republicans ... have literally resorted to accusing me of not caring about kids with cancer. Shameful," - Harry Reid

Are those actual quotes or did faux edit them for you?

The only piece missing was Harry originally dancing around the question before it had to be asked again.

The source says otherwise. If you are going to lie, at least try a bit to make it not so transparent.

Are those actual quotes or did faux edit them for you?
I take quotation marks seriously.
He was asked why he wouldn't approve funding the NIH since it might help kids with cancer.
He bobbed and weaved so Bash asked what I posted above and Reid answered what I posted above and then later tweeted what I posted above.
To me the tweet really makes the story.

First he states that it was explained by Chuck Schumer and others.
Then he says this:
"What right did they have to pick and choose what parts of government can be funded. It's obvious what's going on here."

Then he discusses it being about Obamacare.

Then she reiterates again the question and then he finally says what Fox News apparently claimed he "immediately" said.

[video]http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2013/10/02/exp-bash-reid.cnn&iref=videosearch[/video]

First he states that it was explained by Chuck Schumer and others.
Then he says this:
"What right did they have to pick and choose what parts of government can be funded. It's obvious what's going on here."

Then he discusses it being about Obamacare.

Then she reiterates again the question and then he finally says what Fox News apparently claimed he "immediately" said.

[video]http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2013/10/02/exp-bash-reid.cnn&iref=videosearch[/video]

He did shoot that back immediately after she had to repeat her question.
Good lord ... listen to it again.

In the OP. There is a link to the story. Why is that hard to find?

I thought there must be something else because the video supports exactly what I've been saying.
There is no question about it.

Fox's only purpose anymore is to foster an angry mob. They promote nothing but anger and hate.

The level of disinformation, misleading and flat out lies are unreal.

Fox's only purpose anymore is to foster an angry mob. They promote nothing but anger and hate.

Examples YOU have heard to support your assertion?

He did shoot that back immediately after she had to repeat her question.
Good lord ... listen to it again.

Bubba, I actually watched it on CNN whereas you probably read it on Fox News and then I linked you the actual conversation. The meat of his explanation was right in the beginning of the exchange, but Fox apparently thought this was how it completely went down.

But Reid was challenged at a Democratic press conference by CNN's Dana Bash about why the Senate wouldn't consider the NIH bill.

"If you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn't you do it?" she asked.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., quietly asked, "Why pit one against the other?"

And Reid immediately chimed in: "Why would we want to do that? I have 1,100 people at Nellis Air Force base that are sitting home. They have a few problems of their own."

Notice how there is absolutely no reference to it being a second question or reiteration, notice how there is absolutely no content about the rationale he attached to rejecting it, notice how they attach the word "immediately" to what was an already-on-going reply.

Here's what actually happened.

Reid on shutdown of kids' cancer trials - CNN.com Video

If you conveniently notice, Fox News placed the beginning of the exchange at the bottom of the page, after what had occurred last. They made it look like it took place on a separate occasion, when it was part of the same exchange, and preceded the part they liked the best. They simply put it backwards to make you think he constructed an argument different from what he actually did.

Stop trying to claim it was what it wasn't.

Last edited:

If someone conflated the CR confrontation with the Debt Limit discussion, would you call that at least misleading?

If someone conflated the CR confrontation with the Debt Limit discussion, would you call that at least misleading?

Naah, would never happen since it's been done for the last 2-3 weeks with no outrage...

Bubba, I actually watched it on CNN whereas you probably read it on Fox News and then I linked you the actual conversation. The meat of his explanation was right in the beginning of the exchange, but Fox apparently thought this was how it completely went down.

Notice how there is absolutely no reference to it being a second question or reiteration, notice how there is absolutely no content about the rationale he attached to rejecting it, notice how they attach the word "immediately" to what was an already-on-going reply.

I saw it too and I accurately presented it here.
In your version, the fact that he thought he was presenting a rationale for rejecting NIH funding not only doesn't make it better but also screams hypocrisy.
If you're suggesting that Reid was speaking to Schumer when he said what he said then that's very very much of a stretch ... your av was always more honest than that.

Bubba, I actually watched it on CNN whereas you probably read it on Fox News and then I linked you the actual conversation.
The meat of his explanation
was right in the beginning of the exchange, but Fox apparently thought this was how it completely went down.

And what you call "the meat" was Harry trying to NOT answer the question so as to avoid sounding like he ended up sounding anyway.

Back
Top Bottom