• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Help is needed, not criticism

ricksfolly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Stop treating the poor and needy as the Bubonic plague. They're not germs you can catch if you get too close, only the misfortune of pitiful souls.

Next time you see one on the street, don't run away in panic, just smile encouragement and give him five dollars. He won't see you as a sucker, or an enabler, only as the provider of rare meal.

ricksfolly

I take it you've never read City of the Lost Souls, by the Cadillac Man.

No, only smiles of relief I read on their tortured faces when I give them five dollars.

There's a newsreel shot of a guy handing out dimes to a block long line of men during the thirties depression. He didn't lecture or criticize, as people are prone to do today, just handed them out as fast as he could.

You could buy a hamburger and a cup of coffee with a dime back then, pretty close to what five dollars will buy today.

ricksfolly

No, only smiles of relief I read on their tortured faces when I give them five dollars.

There's a newsreel shot of a guy handing out dimes to a block long line of men during the thirties depression. He didn't lecture or criticize, as people are prone to do today, just handed them out as fast as he could.

You could buy a hamburger and a cup of coffee with a dime back then, pretty close to what five dollars will buy today.

ricksfolly

I'd rather hand them food or direct them to a local charity. There is absolutely no reason for anyone in this country to go hungry. However I don't want to be an enabler for alchoholics or drug addicts by giving cold hard cash to someone on the street. I give cash to charities here that help the homeless, the poor and those just down on their luck. They help with food, rent, utility bills etc.
That's just how I choose to help. I have nothing against those who choose to hand people money. I'm sure it is appreciated by the recipient and makes the donor feel good. We are all free to choose how we want to give back.

I'd rather hand them food or direct them to a local charity. There is absolutely no reason for anyone in this country to go hungry. However I don't want to be an enabler for alchoholics or drug addicts by giving cold hard cash to someone on the street. I give cash to charities here that help the homeless, the poor and those just down on their luck. They help with food, rent, utility bills etc.
That's just how I choose to help. I have nothing against those who choose to hand people money. I'm sure it is appreciated by the recipient and makes the donor feel good. We are all free to choose how we want to give back.

What she said.

Rick, most often than not, your money will go towards what has gotten them on the street in the first place... alcohol or drugs. It's much better to buy them food or to donate to a food bank or shelter.

What she said.

Rick, most often than not, your money will go towards what has gotten them on the street in the first place... alcohol or drugs. It's much better to buy them food or to donate to a food bank or shelter.

It only takes a moment, not enough time to psychoanalyze him, and it makes us both feel good... Him, because he found someone who cares, me, because I'm civilized.

ricksfolly

the only people on the street i give money to are buskers, if a homeless person asks me for money, i'll offer to buy them food or a thermal blanket or something useful, the ones that refuse are ones i figure will spend it on drugs or booze, but i've had a few take up my offer, and they often good company.

Stop treating the poor and needy as the Bubonic plague. They're not germs you can catch if you get too close, only the misfortune of pitiful souls.

Next time you see one on the street, don't run away in panic, just smile encouragement and give him five dollars. He won't see you as a sucker, or an enabler, only as the provider of rare meal.

ricksfolly

I wish I were naive enough to agree with you, Rick.
I really do.
Unfortunately, I've lived among the culture of sp'angers* and panhandlers.
A meal isn't what they're after.
There are numerous free feedings daily in every major city, and the homeless know where all of them are.
The ones who are after a meal are actively looking for work, not standing on the corner holding a cardboard sign.

If you give a sp'anger five bucks, it's going to go- best case scenario- for cheap booze and cigarettes; more likely, he'll be shooting it into his arm.

* sp'anger- spare-changer, ie homeless person who hangs out in heavily trafficked pedestrian areas accosting passersby with the relentless plea "Spare some change?"

They did one of those hidden cam type stories on my local news and showed how these dudes would do the whole will work for food signs and then they flat out busted em getting into nice cars and going home to a real house that they owned kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth. :(

But I still give and will give money or bring food. What is really a trip is being flat out told they do not want food. Hell at least some are honest and will tell ya that they need a "drink" and have I given money to wino's? Yep.

Watch this video and listen carefully to the words, much of the cynicism will go away.

Back
Top Bottom