• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hello, it's me

thanks! backatcha

I'm enjoying myself, so it is fun of a kind, thanks. Haven't felt so welcome in quite a while.

Not that familiar with JJ Cale either.

This is kinda what I like best, although like I said, my musical tastes vary.

I lived in Oregon from 2014 until the end of September of this year. Earlier in the year, I lost a home to bankruptcy, and was staying in motels until some friends helped me out with the funds needed to make the road trip to Oklahoma, where I found an apartment I could afford in October and moved in. I am starting all over from scratch, and the friends I had..well, I was banned from the forum, and will leave it at that. I still do have plans to pay forward what was given me when I am able.

thanks for letting me know about the Tavern, I will check that out too.

Welcome Amyishere. Not from Oklahoma - life long NYer. Closest I come to OK is dealing with the FAA in Oklahoma City and my son was a huge OKC Thunder fan.

My daughter lives in Oregon - town called Hillside just outside of Portland.

Hope ya enjoy the site and Happy New Year.

I'm still trying to find the Tavern..is it under a subforum I am missing? I don't have website gps loaded, lol.
Go to the main home page, scroll down to 'DP Extras'; 3rd entry is 'The Tavern.' Just click that on, hun.

Thanks buddy, and a Happy New Year to your and yours, also!

Not sure why, but I got this when I clicked the link:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

i'm guessing there may be a few places that you can only enter after a certain number of posts

Probably too new to go there yet, give it time. :)

I am sure that would cause anyone anxiety. Can't you afford to move?

In the meantime, welcome to the forum!

I assume you don't even know what PTSD is or how people get it. The abbreviation is short for post-traumatic stress disorder. The trauma that caused it is often something that happened in battle during an Army stint.

I assume you don't even know what PTSD is or how people get it. The abbreviation is short for post-traumatic stress disorder. The trauma that caused it is often something that happened in battle during an Army stint.

rotflmao

thanks for the clinical short hand

lol

@Amyishere

Directions to Tavern: Scroll about 80% down on the DP Home Page. Look for a section titled DP Extras. Take your time examining that section until you find the Tavern. Make sure to read the Sticky (posting rules for the Tavern).

I discovered Negril in 1978. WOW! I went back again and again! Did you go to Rick's Cafe?

Two photos of me (in my mid-20s), almost 40 years ago, doing stunts from a cliff at Rick's Cafe:
NegrilBackFlip.jpgNegrilGainer.jpg

Mine is MST related.

Probably too new to go there yet, give it time. :)

It's all good. I can have patience. And I hope you guys don't mind, but I am a prolific reader and probably will end up being a prolific poster here if that is okay.
Also, I say the serenity prayer a lot, and try to live Just For Today. With 12 yrs, outside of medicinal marijuana, that is, which I don't count.

I'm pretty much an open book. Especially since anyone can find out anything they want about me if they really wanted to. I don't have anything to hide. Things to be ashamed of...well..
I don't have anything to hide, anyway. No hidden bodies or crimes, so there is that.

onemore pic

06-DSC01438.jpg

I'm still trying to find the Tavern..is it under a subforum I am missing? I don't have website gps loaded, lol.

Here's a link to the areas for posting photos: https://debatepolitics.com/forums/say-cheese.193/

There are several places where you can display your photos listed on that link. Welcome to DP.

As others have said, you may be too new to have access yet. It's a holiday, so some Mods/Admins might not be available until the weekend, but feel free to message one of them or use the Contact Us button to ask what Tavern requirements are.

I tend to talk too much about myself at times, and am working on that, but since this is the place to let people know a bit about myself, here goes. I'm a 54 year old woman on VA disability for ptsd living in Oklahoma. I used to take amateur photos when I had a camera, and hope to get another one soon. Maybe in a few days, who knows. I hope this isn't breaking any rules to leave this here..it's not for any monetary purposes, just some of the photos I have taken. https://www.flickr.com/photos/139245408@N07/
Welcome!

Please hang on tight while you get used to the place. It's esp. cra-cra right now because of the residual election outrage but things will calm down.

It's all good. I can have patience. And I hope you guys don't mind, but I am a prolific reader and probably will end up being a prolific poster here if that is okay.
Also, I say the serenity prayer a lot, and try to live Just For Today. With 12 yrs, outside of medicinal marijuana, that is, which I don't count.

I'm pretty much an open book. Especially since anyone can find out anything they want about me if they really wanted to. I don't have anything to hide. Things to be ashamed of...well..
I don't have anything to hide, anyway. No hidden bodies or crimes, so there is that.

onemore pic

View attachment 67311032
Gorgeous. Clematis variety?

@Amyishere

Directions to Tavern: Scroll about 80% down on the DP Home Page. Look for a section titled DP Extras. Take your time examining that section until you find the Tavern. Make sure to read the Sticky (posting rules for the Tavern).

I discovered Negril in 1978. WOW! I went back again and again! Did you go to Rick's Cafe?

Two photos of me (in my mid-20s), almost 40 years ago, doing stunts from a cliff at Rick's Cafe:
View attachment 67311030View attachment 67311031

omg that is what Rick's used to look like?? I went to Jamaica for the first time in 2006, went twice in '07, once in '09, once in'11, once in '12, spent six months in '13 when my youngest graduated college, and spent two months there last year. I had considered making it my home,but decided against it for the craziest of reasons..I didn't think I would meet my true love there but in the states instead. Still haven't had him walk through my door, and with covid, no telling when I can get back there, but I miss it.

Negril is like the closest thing to home I have ever had, if home is where the heart is.

this is the Rick's I know:

omg that is what Rick's used to look like?? I went to Jamaica for the first time in 2006, went twice in '07, once in '09, once in'11, once in '12, spent six months in '13 when my youngest graduated college, and spent two months there last year. I had considered making it my home,but decided against it for the craziest of reasons..I didn't think I would meet my true love there but in the states instead. Still haven't had him walk through my door, and with covid, no telling when I can get back there, but I miss it.

Negril is like the closest thing to home I have ever had, if home is where the heart is.

this is the Rick's I know:
unfortunately, this is the rick's i know ... well, knew way back when:
ricks lounge.jpg

oops pics not loading for me anymore for some reason or I would share a pic of Rick's cafe.
and this is what Rick's cafe is like now:

@Amyishere

My first visit to Negril, I thought I'd found Heaven on Earth! I stayed about a 1/4 mile north of Rick's at a place called Ten Sing Pen. The next visit, I enticed my father to come with, in the hope he would invest in vacation-related real estate. I took dad onto a mountain top to meet a Rasta family. You can only imagine the ensuing conversation between my father, a sophisticated real estate broker and the Rasta family. Great memories!

Dad left Negril ahead of schedule due to a hurricane. I stayed. The political environment scared him. You only own real estate to the extent a government entity protects your real estate rights.

Viva Jamaica! As the locals would say "Don't feel no way."

@Amyishere

My first visit to Negril, I thought I'd found Heaven on Earth! I stayed about a 1/4 mile north of Rick's at a place called Ten Sing Pen. The next visit, I enticed my father to come with, in the hope he would invest in vacation-related real estate. I took dad onto a mountain top to meet a Rasta family. You can only imagine the ensuing conversation between my father, a sophisticated real estate broker and the Rasta family. Great memories!

Dad left Negril ahead of schedule due to a hurricane. I stayed. The political environment scared him. You only own real estate to the extent a government entity protects your real estate rights.

Viva Jamaica! As the locals would say "Don't feel no way."

I know where Tensing Pen is, and I would love to stay there someday. I would stay at budget places, or get a budget summer season or off season rate when I would stay. Last year I stayed at Negril Escape and paid $800 a month for two months. I went to get a set of dentures there since I know the area better than Mexico, but I came down with bronchitis and was unable to do that, but I did enjoy being in Jamaica as much as was possible given the circumstance. I usually stay on the West End, the cliff side, and only stayed on the beach one time, at Travellers.

I know where Tensing Pen is, and I would love to stay there someday. I would stay at budget places, or get a budget summer season or off season rate when I would stay. Last year I stayed at Negril Escape and paid $800 a month for two months. I went to get a set of dentures there since I know the area better than Mexico, but I came down with bronchitis and was unable to do that, but I did enjoy being in Jamaica as much as was possible given the circumstance. I usually stay on the West End, the cliff side, and only stayed on the beach one time, at Travellers.
Going to surprise you, my first visit to Ten Sing Pen, I went with a friend from University of Florida. We paid $10/night, $5 each for a bungalow with twin beds. Ah, the delights! Sea grapes that tasted like bing cherries, lobster tails, fresh fish and vegetables, ackee and saltfish. guineps, breadfruit and sweet sop. Marvelous romance in the air and crystal clear Caribbean waters, where I could at least see the jelly fish, sea urchins and occasional barracuda.

Going to surprise you, my first visit to Ten Sing Pen, I went with a friend from University of Florida. We paid $10/night, $5 each for a bungalow with twin beds. Ah, the delights! Sea grapes that tasted like bing cherries, lobster tails, fresh fish and vegetables, ackee and saltfish. guineps, breadfruit and sweet sop. Marvelous romance in the air and crystal clear Caribbean waters, where I could at least see the jelly fish, sea urchins and occasional barracuda.

I miss ackee and saltfish. I miss chicken foot soup. I miss the soup man on his bicycle. I miss listening to the tree frogs. I miss those so damn clear waters.
I saw a dolphin once when swimming from Negril Escape. Didn't have my snorkel gear on since I was just floating around, but it was less than fifty feet away from me.
I miss the glass bottom boats and the sound of the rain on the tin roofs. I miss ginger beer and champagne cola and the patties. I miss most of all the music..the people playing music from every speaker around. and singing with the songs. People don't look at you strange when you sing out loud in Jamaica..it's just a thing everyone does. I miss the ganja and buying single cigarettes on a budget. I miss everything about Jamaica. Everything about it except I never saw my true love there.

So my missing a true love has nothing to do with Jamaica, but if I could..I would get to meet him and ask him if he ever wanted to go to Negril with me. You see..here's the craziest part. I don't know what he looks like because I haven't met him yet. I just know he's out there. My one true love.

Back
Top Bottom