• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hello from norwegian student

Skufr said:
I'll just throw myself on this thread, since I'm Norwegian too ( outstudied though ) and too lazy to start one of my own.

I'm a bit disturbed, however, by the fact that the only knowledge the previous poster has about Norway is the Lebensborn programme, which I, despite a long time interest in WWII, did not know that Norway provided.

Well, anyway ...

Hi! :2razz:

Welcome to DP, Skufr! :2wave:

Oh, sorry, no offense to Norway. The Nazi's thought your populace was a good source of genetic material for the 'Master Race' idea. Lots of German soldiers stationed there (Wermacht- regular army, not SS) had relationships with Norwegian girls, perfectly innocent on both parts. The Nazi regime decided to encourage this, and a lot of children (est. 10,000) were conceived. There was a lot of dissapproval in Norwegian communities, so Himmler set up some Lebensborn institutes there to help those mothers. As far as I know, the children and their mothers were not taken back to Germany, unlike the abductions across Eastern Europe.
After liberation, those girls were treated very badly, called traitors, heads shaved, possibly even raped, same as in France. That's probably why you're not aware of it, a dark piece of history. Apparently one of the girls in ABBA had a German father, according to the History channel.

Once again, no offence meant to my fellow Europeans. Hope I get the chance to visit your country one day.

JamesRichards:

Yeah, this matter has been discussed openly and widely the last 20 years, after being a tabu until the 1970-80`s. Even the King and the government have appologised for it several times in recent years, and the government has paid out big sums in compensation to the victims.

Unlike Europe, the norwegian "german-tramps" (as they where called) and their children where not systemathicly abused by violence, they where simply frozen out of the small countryside communities (in small communities everyone knows eachother) and people refused having any contact with them at all. Sometimes this "silence" might be even more hurtful then actual violence. Some of the kids where played at public children-homes and where treated badly.

Anyway, it`s not weird that relationships occured between norwegian girls and german soldiers. Between 1940-1945 there were 300 000 german troops standing in Norway at all times (The german high command suspected that D-Day might happen on the norwegian shore), and oddses where that some of those guys would eventually get lucky :)

Last edited:
Hey Leviarius, been a while since you posted, thanks for replying. I was a little concerned I may have offended you with my limited knowledge of Norwegian history. I happened to be doing some coursework on Nazi politics at the time. Once again, I meant no offence.

Oh, I wasn`t offended at all :) Afterall, I`m young, I`m a student, and more then happy to talk about the wrongs that have been done by the earlier norwegians. Allthough norwegians are quite nice and peaceful people, there have been some crualties during the course of history.

One example is that castration and attemps on assamilation of the norwegian native people, the samii, the kven and scandinavian branch of the gipsys was performed until the 1960-70`s.

The reason that I`ve been absent the last month is that I`ve been working my *** of with the ending exams and working part-time at the side.. But now it`s only a week left, and then it`s vaaaaacaatioon until August :p

I know the feeling. I've got one more exam next week and that's my first year of this course complete. I really need to work through the summer to make extra money for next year, but I'm struggling to find short term work in the area at the moment. Still I'm working out a party for my coursemates before we leave this term, that should be good.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Norwegian politics, you could start a thread in the European forum. Take a look at Volker's German Politics thread, he only started it recently, but it's helpful to get local opinions. I hope to see more activity in the European forum as we gain members.

welcbnr.gif

:tink:~Tashah~

Back
Top Bottom