• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hello from norwegian student

Leviarius

New member
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Tromsø, Norway
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Hello all!
I`m a 20 year old norwegian student, who thought it was a good idea to venture beyond all the norwegian political forums, and found this one.

I`m a very curious soul, and I`ve always been interested in other cultures and countries. We norwegians think we know so much about american (political) culture, but actually we don`t at all. For example I thought that the political landscape in all of the Western world was like here in Europe, where people are judged by their economic-political views and their view of what role the government should play in the economy.
But when I signed up the only thing that was asked was if I had a liberal or conservative view of values. This would indicate that american politics are mainly about values, right?

Anyway; hello all, I look forwards to alot of interesting debates ;)
 

George_Washington

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
1,962
Reaction score
0
Location
United States of America and proud of it!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Leviarius said:
Hello all!
I`m a 20 year old norwegian student, who thought it was a good idea to venture beyond all the norwegian political forums, and found this one.

I`m a very curious soul, and I`ve always been interested in other cultures and countries. We norwegians think we know so much about american (political) culture, but actually we don`t at all. For example I thought that the political landscape in all of the Western world was like here in Europe, where people are judged by their economic-political views and their view of what role the government should play in the economy.
But when I signed up the only thing that was asked was if I had a liberal or conservative view of values. This would indicate that american politics are mainly about values, right?

Anyway; hello all, I look forwards to alot of interesting debates ;)
Hey, welcome! Norway is an awesome country.
 

cherokee

Devil Dog
Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,486
Reaction score
789
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Welcome to DP..........:2wave:
 

justone

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
3,379
Reaction score
161
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Leviarius said:
We norwegians think we know so much about american (political) culture, but actually we don`t at all. I thought that the political landscape in all of the Western world was like here in Europe,
It is like the Western world here, but it is WILD, WILD WESTern world here.
Welcome and don't hesitate when you need to pull out your gun and shoot of the hip.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Hello Leviarius!:2wave:

 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I was in Norway one time. It was at the triple point where Norway, Finland, and Sweden come together.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Welcome to DP, Leviarius! :2wave:
 

ptsdkid

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
10
Location
New Hampshire
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Welcome student,

It would behoove you to read a book titled, "While Europe Slept", 'How Radical Islam is Destroying the West from Within by Bruce Bawer.

Here is a snippet from the book's jacket:

As an American living in Europe since 1998, Bruce Bawer has seen the problem of Radical Islam up close. Across the continent--in Amsterdam, Oslo, Copenhagen, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Stockholm--he encountered large, rapidly expanding Muslim enclaves in which women were oppressed and abused, homosexuals persecuted and killed, "infidels" threatened and vilified, Jews demonized and attacked, barbaric traditions (such as honor killing and forced marriage) widely practiced, and freedom of speech and religion firmly repudiated.
 

Leviarius

New member
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Tromsø, Norway
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Thanks for a warm welcome :)

ptsdkid: Of course there are some problems with radical islam, but they are not far as grave as some people would like the portrait them. Two muslims are attending my class, and they are just like the rest of us. There are some radical and dangerous elements here too, but they are very small, and very much frowned upon in the muslim community.
Even so, there is a tendency in Norway that only the radical muslim elements get any attention in the media. This has though changed for the better in the wake of the Muhammed drawings, where moderate muslims have stepped forward and expressed their discontent with radical islam.

When all this is said, I have never met a radical muslim, but I`ve met several moderate ones :)
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Leviarius said:
Thanks for a warm welcome :)

ptsdkid: Of course there are some problems with radical islam, but they are not far as grave as some people would like the portrait them. Two muslims are attending my class, and they are just like the rest of us. There are some radical and dangerous elements here too, but they are very small, and very much frowned upon in the muslim community.
Even so, there is a tendency in Norway that only the radical muslim elements get any attention in the media. This has though changed for the better in the wake of the Muhammed drawings, where moderate muslims have stepped forward and expressed their discontent with radical islam.

When all this is said, I have never met a radical muslim, but I`ve met several moderate ones :)
And now you can say you have met an American radical conservative. :2wave:
 

ptsdkid

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
10
Location
New Hampshire
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Leviarius said:
Thanks for a warm welcome :)

ptsdkid: Of course there are some problems with radical islam, but they are not far as grave as some people would like the portrait them. Two muslims are attending my class, and they are just like the rest of us. There are some radical and dangerous elements here too, but they are very small, and very much frowned upon in the muslim community.
Even so, there is a tendency in Norway that only the radical muslim elements get any attention in the media. This has though changed for the better in the wake of the Muhammed drawings, where moderate muslims have stepped forward and expressed their discontent with radical islam.

When all this is said, I have never met a radical muslim, but I`ve met several moderate ones :)

***You haven't met a radical Muslim because you are not allowed into their neighborhoods. You need to read that book immediately. Europe is slowly being taken over by these Muslims, and you are too young to see it. Let me leave you with another paragraph from the book's jacket.

"The European political and media establishment turned a blind eye to all of this, selling out women, Jews, gays, and democratic principles generally--even criminalizing free speech--in order to pacify the radical Islamists and preserve the illusion of multicultural harmony. The few heroic figures who dared to criticize Muslim extremists and speak up for true liberal values were systematically slandered as fascist bigots. Witnessing the disgraceful reaction of Europe's elites to 9/11, to the terrorist attacks on Madrid, Beslan, and London, and to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Bawer concluded that Europe was heading inexorably down a path to cultural suicide."

I found one of the more disturbing aspects of European socialism is this idea to put masses of Muslim immigrants on welfare, and never questioning their ability to seek employment. It almost reminds me of America's penchant to keep the lazy and poor on cradle to grave benefits. Insitutionalized welfare in Europe has the added entitlement to the Muslim takeover, of allowing them to create their own Islamic law--as it suits the Muslim. Muslim assimilation to Europe's law is nothing more than an oxymoron.
 

Tashah

wʜɪтe яussɪaи
DP Veteran
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
18,379
Reaction score
9,227
Location
ישראל • אמריקה
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Centrist
ptsdkid... please refrain from politicizing this thread. It is soley intended for friendly and informal introductions. I visit this thread almost everyday and if I see you pull this shena****ns here again... you're going to have a bad ptsdkid day.
 

ptsdkid

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
10
Location
New Hampshire
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Tashah said:
ptsdkid... please refrain from politicizing this thread. It is soley intended for friendly and informal introductions. I visit this thread almost everyday and if I see you pull this shena****ns here again... you're going to have a bad ptsdkid day.

***Thanks for the warning. Have you ever met CnnRedd? The both of you have strikingly similar qualities.

I admit that it would be interesting to find out what a bad PTSD day would feel like. So far, all of my days have been spent teaching others the American way, and getting some to smile for perhaps the first time.

Btw, is there a topic heading above where I could engage Liviticus into some mild debate over the socialistic suicide of the European culture? Thought I would ask you first, since I haven't had much luck in posing new topics without them getting censored by your cohort CnnRedd. Thanks Tash!
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Welcome to DP from the UK!! Woohoo we're getting an influx of more Europeans! :2razz:
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Leviarius said:
Hello all!
I`m a 20 year old norwegian student, who thought it was a good idea to venture beyond all the norwegian political forums, and found this one.

I`m a very curious soul, and I`ve always been interested in other cultures and countries. We norwegians think we know so much about american (political) culture, but actually we don`t at all. For example I thought that the political landscape in all of the Western world was like here in Europe, where people are judged by their economic-political views and their view of what role the government should play in the economy.
But when I signed up the only thing that was asked was if I had a liberal or conservative view of values. This would indicate that american politics are mainly about values, right?

Anyway; hello all, I look forwards to alot of interesting debates ;)
I'm the quintesential American, howdy partna lmfao, my arrogance is only superceded by my intellect, humility is for the weak. My values are not based upon morality, morality is for the weak, but rather right and wrong are based upon virtu and fortuna, the ends justify the means and in the end the winners write history.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I'm the quintesential American, howdy partna lmfao, my arrogance is only superceded by my intellect, humility is for the weak. My values are not based upon morality, morality is for the weak, but rather right and wrong are based upon virtu and fortuna, the ends justify the means and in the end the winners write history.
Well that makes you the quintessential something alright.....:lol:
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
mixedmedia said:
Well that makes you the quintessential something alright.....:lol:
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God.
blah, blah, blah.....hey, God, how'd you do on your finals? ;)
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
mixedmedia said:
blah, blah, blah.....hey, God, how'd you do on your finals? ;)
got a while before finals for now:


Undergraduate Summary AttemptedEarnedGPA HoursQuality PointsGPACurrent Term: 15.000
12.000
12.000
41.01
3.41
Cumulative: 33.000
27.000
27.000
80.01
2.96
Transfer: 63.000
60.000
60.000
204.00
3.40
Overall: 96.000
87.000
87.000
284.01
3.26



But I have a D in there some where which is getting removed through academic forgiveness so I got a 3.5 atleast.
 

Jay R

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
803
Reaction score
7
Location
Wales, UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi, nice to virtually meet you. Never visited Norway and I don't know a thing about it. Except that it provided the Nazi's greatest success with their Lebensborn program (I'm swamped with essays). Good to have a Norwegian voice here.:wcm
 
S

Skufr

I'll just throw myself on this thread, since I'm Norwegian too ( outstudied though ) and too lazy to start one of my own.

I'm a bit disturbed, however, by the fact that the only knowledge the previous poster has about Norway is the Lebensborn programme, which I, despite a long time interest in WWII, did not know that Norway provided.

Well, anyway ...

Hi! :2razz:
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom