• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Helen Thomas, trailblazing reporter, dead at 92 [W:11]

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Helen Thomas dead at 92 - POLITICO.com

By DYLAN BYERS |
7/20/13 9:45 AM EDT

Helen Thomas, whose career covering the White House dated back to the Kennedy administration, died on Saturday at the age of 92, the Gridiron Club announced in an email to members on Saturday.

Thomas was the first woman to join the White House Correspondents' Association, and the first woman to serve as its president. She was also the first female member of the Gridiron Club, Washington's historic press group. She served for 57 years at United Press International, first as a correspondent then as a White House bureau chief, before becoming a columnist for Hearst Papers.

"Former Gridiron Club president Helen Thomas, our first female member, died Saturday morning at her Washington apartment after a long illness," Gridiron's Carl P. Leubsdorf wrote in an email to members. "She would have been 93 next month."

Present at the press briefings of ten consecutive presidential administrations, Thomas earned herself a front-row seat at White House press briefings. Beyond Washington, her status as a trailblazing female reporter made her name a cultural reference point, even invoked in an episode of "the Simpsons."

Definitely was a fixture in the White House Press Room.

Re: Helen Thomas, trailblazing reporter, dead at 92

Sad day. America's loss. Thomas was the dean of the 4th Estate. There aren't many left who can walk in her shoes.

And, I might add, Canada recently lost one of its legendary journalists, Peter Worthington, who was also co-founder of the Toronto Sun. It has been a sad summer for North American journalism as some of the greatest pass on.

RIP Helen Thomas. It was always a pleasure to watch her engage the government critters.

n b 4 liberal agenda

Quite an admirable figure in American journalism.

She sure was great and will truly be missed....

God rest her soul.

Helen Thomas was one of the last few reporters who made it her job to hold public officials accountable rather than merely accept her role as parrot and corporate voice piece. Hopefully her principles will persevere.

n b 4 liberal agenda

Quite an admirable figure in American journalism.

While it's inevitable for a conservative to come in and crap on a RIP thread (albeit extremely passive aggressively), I honestly didn't expect it to be someone like you. Oh well.

Helen Thomas did not play well with Jews.

"When asked where Israeli Jews should go, she replied they could "go home" to Poland or Germany or "America and everywhere else. "

She was also a friend of those would destroy Israel.

"In April 2012, Thomas received an award from the Palestine Liberation Organization's General Mission to the United States. The award was presented by PLO Executive Committee member Hanan Ashrawi to "recognize Thomas’ long career in the field of journalism, during which she defended the Palestinian position every step of the way."

A list of PLO activities under Yasir Arafat and later Fatah.

CAMERA: Yasir Arafat's Timeline of Terror

While it's inevitable for a conservative to come in and crap on a RIP thread (albeit extremely passive aggressively), I honestly didn't expect it to be someone like you. Oh well.

Lighten up sweetheart I was making a joke about her perceived legacy.

Lighten up sweetheart I was making a joke about her perceived legacy.

Stop that. You know what you were doing.

Moderator's Warning:
Please note there is a [R.I.P.] tag in this thread. As such, be sure to remain within the guidelines associated with it. Be respectful or don't post in the thread. If you want to share negative feelings this is one of the instances where you can make a concurrent thread with the sam story and minus the R.I.P. tag.

Back
Top Bottom