• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Helen Thomas retires

"Columnists" definitely get to "issue opinion", one would think.
Just not really unpopular opinions.
If they want to do that, they should become radio talk show hosts.

That the genocide of 10 million people on the Indian Subcontinent is somehow comparable to about a thousand executions over the course of 300 years of the Spanish Inquisition or that U.S. support of Israel has anything to do with Islamic Imperialist expansionism and mass murder when it predates the U.S. and Israel by one thousand and fifteen hundred years respectively.

Last edited:
She needs to retire beacuse she's just too damn senile and she looks like hell. Open mouth, insert foot.

There was nothing senile about what she said. It was Anti-Semitism pure and simple.

Good. It was her time.

TheBostonChannel.com - Helen Thomas

She was listed as a Hearst White House columnist.
Doesn't matter, press corps is straight news.

EDIT- Press corps also tends to write for the AP, the associated press newswire is in fact straight news reporting. That she has a column in no way makes her op-ed, the fact is that one is a straight reporter first and foremost and biases are not professional.

Last edited:
"Columnists" definitely get to "issue opinion", one would think.
Just not really unpopular opinions.
If they want to do that, they should become radio talk show hosts.
like Imus?

The restitution, actually, should come from Germany and Poland, and whoever else was allies with Hitler. They ought to be given land in Germany, to be set aside as the Jewish nation.

The jewish attachment to israel is thousands of years old, and is ingrained into the core of their prayers and religion.

But since that's not happening, maybe they should be given land in America.

To secular jews, this is a reasonable argument, especially if iran or one of its terrorist proxies with which it performs its state sponsored terrorism, hits it with an a-bomb. To the religious jews, the attachment to the sacred land of Abraham etc is inviolable.

Anything, to stop this endless bloodshed they can't help dragging the entire civilized world into.They're not going to be allowed to live in peace, where they are. EVER.

There are 4 million jews - and FIVE HUNDRED MILLION arabs...please tell who is the underdog again? And the facts, from my other post:

Israel cannot relinquish this buffer zone without her security aims addressed. She vacated lebanon and gaza - and the vacuum was filled by terrorist organizations. Unless the pro-arab side is willing to address removal of the terrorist leadership, israel cannot be expected to continue vacate areas. She did it twice, and proved that land is far from the issue.

Your opinion is representative of those who came to this conflict without the full facts or history - israel's presence in these territories did not, does not, and never will, fuel the conflict. Israel's EXISTENCE is what fuels it, due to the arab muslim intransigence and intolerance of non-muslim minority groups in the middle east.

Coptics, Maronites, Chaldeans, Orthodox christians, Assyrians, Bahai, Zoroastrians, jews, etc., are all being oppressed and ethnically cleansed out of the arab muslim middle east. But the media will rarely expose this lest they upset their leftist allies in the arab muslim world.

The jews get the most attention, however, since they are the only ones actually fighting back.

This is their fault, and their neighbors' fault, both. Nobody's blameless.

Israel has made some errors for sure, but 99% of the blame is on the arab muslims, its not even close.

How many millions of people are going to have to die, though, before they just move somewhere else?

"Millions"? Not sure where you get your "facts" from...

They can have Israel somewhere else. The spirit of a nation resides in the hearts and minds of its people, not in the dirt it sits on.
They could perfectly easily transport the whole shebang to Florida, or Minnesota, or whatever region of the United States best suits their tastes.

You could put israel on Mars and it would not make the slightest difference, the intolerance of the arab muslims is the issue...

If you believe that the terrorism emanating from arab muslim nations targeting non-muslims and themselves as well - see Baghdad this week, another 30 killed in synchronized bombings of their central bank - I've got a big bridge to sell you.

Look at a map of the globe - at EVERY point where the muslim world touches the non-muslim,there is war/conflict: Serbia/Albania, India/Pakistan, Russia/Chechnya, Sudan (christian north vs. muslim south), China (Uighur), israel/arabs, Phillippines (muslim insurgency in south, trying to ethnically cleanse mindanao of christians), Indonesia (ethnically cleansing christians out of the nation) - and these are just a few that come to memory, there are many more.

Israel just gets more attention BECAUSE IT INVOLVES JEWS, the favorite target of muslims and christians alike. The media keeps the focus on israel because of that, its the one conflict where the 2 large worldwide religions are not directly opposing each other, so they can both feel superior and point a finger. The reality is far broader.

Last edited:
On May 27, 2010, outside a White House Jewish heritage event, Rabbi David Nesenoff asked if Thomas had any comments on Israel. Thomas replied, "Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine... Remember, these people are occupied, and it's their land."
She was then asked where the Israelis should go, to which she replied: "they should go home" to "Poland, Germany,... America and everywhere else."
Thomas subsequently issued an apology on her personal web site.... On June 7, 2010, Thomas tendered her immediate resignation from Hearst Newspapers and entered into retirement.

Helen Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The woman is 90 years old.
Frankly (and this is where my lack of education and worldliness really show, I'm sure) I don't see anything all that grotesque about her statement.
It's an opinion. Everybody's got one.
I know less than nothing about the situation over there, but didn't most Israelis move to Israel from Poland and Germany and other European locales after World War Two?
I mean, that's one solution for ending the conflict in the middle east: they could all either move to America or else go back to where they were living up until fifty years ago. it's safe now. Never again would anybody be allowed to systematically persecute them for being Jewish, not in a modern, industrialized nation where equal civil and human rights are the order of the day.

I believe I asked once, a few years ago, why we couldn't just give the Israelis some land mass (a nice one, one of their choosing, not like the Cherokee Nation) equivalent to the size of Israel here in the US.
Everyone was really offended by my idea; nobody really explained why.
So many people of all nationalities, including many American sons and daughters, have died, are dying, and will continue to die, so that Jews can continue to occupy that particular piece of land.
Why would it be so bad if we ended the bloodshed by giving them an even larger and better one someplace else, where they won't be in constant conflict with their neighbors?

I agree. I don't find what she said disturbing in the least, and most assuredly NOT anti-semetic. It's her opinion and she's entitled to it. I find it FAR less bothersome than things people like Rush and his ilk say. But they, too, are entitled to their opinions.

I don't agree with a great many of the things Israel has done, but that doesn't mean I agree with what their adversaries have done either. They have all committed atrocities. I just don't see Israel as some poor innocent little victim who was just minding their own business. And I think it was pretty ****ing stupid to put their "state" right smack dab in the middle of all of their enemies to begin with.

But anywho, Helen Thomas probably needed to retire at her age anyway, but it's too bad that so many people are making such a stink over something so benign that she said at the end of her career.

Back
Top Bottom