• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Helen Thomas retires

I'd rather give my land away than have my son and millions of other American soldiers risk their lives to protect the Israelis' right to live on land over there.
I'd rather pay higher taxes; anything.

All of the allied forces- not just Americans, although the toll on us is the highest- are paying in blood for the right of Israelis to continue to occupy that particular geographical location, and we will continue to pay, in both money and blood, for the foreseeable future. No end is in sight. None whatsoever.

I'm just saying that it would be much cheaper and more practical in the long run to give them land elsewhere. The Bahamas. Anywhere.
We aren't in this because of the Israeli state, the fact is there has been a 30 year Jihad declared on the U.S. for not being a muslim country, there is a global Jihad on anyone not muslim. Burying our heads in the sand will not solve it.

We aren't in this because of the Israeli state, the fact is there has been a 30 year Jihad declared on the U.S. for not being a muslim country, there is a global Jihad on anyone not muslim. Burying our heads in the sand will not solve it.

From what I've read, most Islamic extremists claim to be against the US because we defend Israel.
They're against Israel, I suppose, because they challenge Israel's right to be situated in its current geographical locale.
They never persecuted Jews in Europe before they moved to Israel.
They don't want to be at war with the US, either; they just want us to leave the middle east.
What's the Taliban saying? Are they saying, "We want to destroy America?'
No. They're saying, "There cannot be peace until the American troops leave our country."

I'm sure the stance of Islamic extremists on the Israelis is similar.
I'm sure they wouldn't track them down and continue to try and wage war against them, if the Israelis all lived on another continent.

Last edited:
I'd rather give my land away than have my son and millions of other American soldiers risk their lives to protect the Israelis' right to live on land over there.
I'd rather pay higher taxes; anything.

Um what? The last time I checked we have never allied ourselves with Israel in a military conflict in fact we have kept Israel out of military conflicts with which we were engaged.

All of the allied forces- not just Americans, although the toll on us is the highest- are paying in blood for the right of Israelis to continue to occupy that particular geographical location, and we will continue to pay, in both money and blood, for the foreseeable future. No end is in sight. None whatsoever.

WTF are you talking about? Are you asserting that the global jihad would end if Israel disappeared? Gee that's interesting considering that the global Jihad predates the existence of Israel by about 15 hundred years and the existence of the U.S. by about 1 thousand years.

From what I've read, most Islamic extremists claim to be against the US because we defend Israel.
They're against Israel, I suppose, because they challenge Israel's right to be situated in its current geographical locale.
They don't want to be at war with the US, either; they just want us to leave the middle east.
No. They're saying, "There cannot be peace until the American troops leave our country."

I'm sure they wouldn't track them down and continue to try and wage war against them, if the Israelis all lived on another continent.
Newsflash, terrorists lie.

And from what I've read most Islamic extremists are against all infidels because we're infidels.

They're against Israel,

They're against non-muslim extremists.

I suppose, because they challenge Israel's right to be situated in its current geographical locale.

Jews were never perseucted by Muslims until the creation of Israel? lol

No they want us to convert, die, or subject ourselves to dhimmitude.

AQ which has specifically called for the destruction of America and all non-Islamist states was a member of the Taliban government, they had a seat on their ministry of defense.

Maybe we should give into their other demands while we're at it; such as, converting to Islam and adopting to strict Sharia law, maybe that will appease them. :roll:

Last edited:
Moving Israel is a totally unattainable goal. It would firstly violate every principle of sovereignty and international law, and secondly you'd never get the Israelis to agree with it. They'd fight the entire world before being forcibly moved somewhere. So instead of arguing pointless arguments, why dont you focus on something that is an actual possibility for peace.

Also I should point out that no American soldier has died for Israel, and that America has never fought on the same side as any wars which Israel has fought. So there aren't millions of soldiers risking their lives for Israel.

Newsflash, terrorists lie.

They weren't bothering us in any meaningful way before we arrived in their country.
Nothing beyond an isolated, random act here and there.
If a black guy in a high school in Michigan knocked a white guy's books out of his hand, would you take that to mean that a race war has begun in America, and we should call out the National Guard to hold back the seething brown masses who will soon be overtaking our cities?

There are plenty of Iraqis, Afghans, and other middle eastern Islamics living here in the US.
I know some, and I've known many others in the past.
They're good people, the same as anybody else.
They don't hate us. Their countries don't hate us because we're American, or because we're not Islamic, or because of our freedom, or any of that other bull**** conservative Bush-era rhetoric that sounds so stale and outdated now as to be almost comical.
They hate us because we support Israel.
And they hate Israel for occupying land that they believe is rightfully theirs.
Ergo, the way to stop all the hate is for Israel to move elsewhere, and if we really supported Israel, we'd make whatever sacrifices were necessary to induce them to do just that, up to and including giving them some of our land, here in the US. The best of it, if that's what it took to induce them to move here.

They weren't bothering us in any meaningful way before we arrived in their country.
If a black guy in a high school in Michigan knocked a white guy's books out of his hand, would you take that to mean that a race war has begun in America, and we should call out the National Guard to hold back the seething brown masses who will soon be overtaking our cities?

There are plenty of Iraqis, Afghans, and other middle eastern Islamics living here in the US.
They don't hate us. Their countries don't hate us because we're American, or because we're not Islamic, or because of our freedom, or any of that other bull**** conservative Bush-era rhetoric that sounds so stale and outdated now as to be almost comical.
Ergo, the way to stop all the hate is for Israel to move elsewhere, and if we really supported Israel, we'd make whatever sacrifices were necessary to induce them to do just that, up to and including giving them some of our land, here in the US. The best of it, if that's what it took to induce them to move here.
False, various Jihadists have been attacking soft American targets since at least the 1970's.

Which country? When? FYI they have been bothering us since the Barbary Pirates.

Well I believe that their land is rightfully that of Christians, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, and Hindu's, perhaps they ought to return it to its rightful owners upon which they have been waging expansionist war, ethnic cleansing, and genocide upon since the time of Mohammad.

Last edited:
Which country? When? FYI they have been bothering us since the Barbary Pirates.

Well I believe that their land is rightfully that of Christians, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, and Hindu's, perhaps they ought to return it to its rightful owners upon which they have been waging expansionist war, ethnic cleansing, and genocide upon since the time of Mohammad.

You don't seriously mean to suggest there's a connection between the Barbary Pirates and groups like Al-Qaeda? Also my opinion you're making an extremely generalized, sterotypical, and ignorant statement about the history of Islam.

You don't seriously mean to suggest there's a connection between the Barbary Pirates and groups like Al-Qaeda?

When questioned why they were attacking and enslaving American sailors there response was the same as Jihadists, "because you are infidels."

Also my opinion you're making an extremely generalized, sterotypical, and ignorant statement about the history of Islam.

So Mohammad didn't personally ethnically cleanse all of the Banu Jewish tribes on the Arabian peninsula? There wasn't mass genocide against the Hindu and Buddhist peoples on the Indian subcontinent? They didn't attack the Byzantines or the Sassanids and expand through offensive Jihad from India to Spain?

When questioned why they were attacking and enslaving American sailors there response was the same as Jihadists, "because you are infidels."

So Mohammad didn't personally ethnically cleanse all of the Banu Jewish tribes on the Arabian peninsula? There wasn't mass genocide against the Hindu and Buddhist peoples on the Indian subcontinent? They didn't attack the Byzantines or the Sassanids and expand through offensive Jihad from India to Spain?

Oh, brother. :doh

And meanwhile, the Inquisition was torturing Jews to death because they were Jews.
Lets go to war with Catholicism as well as Islam. :roll:

Last edited:
Oh, brother. :doh

And meanwhile, the Inquisition was torturing Jews to death because they were Jews.
Lets go to war with Catholicism as well as Islam. :roll:

Oh brother, the Islamic imperialists wiped out appx. 10 million Hindus and Buddhists on the Indian subcontinent in a systematic genocide not to be outdone until the rise of Adolf Hiter, the Spanish Inquisition sentenced about 1,000 people to death by execution during its entire existence.

This is, also, the ideology in which the consensus mainstream view in all major sects that apostasy and sodomy are capital offenses to be punished by death. That's not some radical view out on the fringe within Islam that is the view held by all 5 schools of Islam. I mean would you defend Catholics or Protestants if they promoted death for being gay or converting to another religion? Don't get me wrong as an antitheist (not just an atheist) I hate Christianity too, but Islam holds a special place as number 1 on my list of repellent ideologies.

Last edited:
Oh brother, the Islamic imperialists wiped out appx. 10 million Hindus and Buddhists on the Indian subcontinent in a systematic genocide not to be outdone until the rise of Adolf Hiter,

If so, how did Hitler "outdo" them?
I thought he killed approximately six million Jews.

the Spanish Inquisition sentenced about 1,000 people to death by execution during its entire existence.

They killed between 3,000 and 5,000.
Your point?

Last edited:
That was quick.

You'd think they'd give her a week or two to put some distance between her retirement and the statement.

If so, how did Hitler "outdo" them?
I thought he killed approximately six million Jews.

He killed more than just Jews, I believe the total killed in the extermination camps was around 20 million including gays, gypsies, Soviet POWs, Poles, etc.

Between 3,000 and 5,000.
Your point?

That's one estimate not backed up by the official record, the official record states that 1080 were sentenced to execution. And my point is that you comparing apples to oranges. Systematic genocide on the one hand and an oppresive theocratic system of governance which in the grand scheme of things doesn't even rank up there with the likes of moderately authoritarian regimes like Pinochet or people killed by the global Jihad in a single year..

Last edited:
He killed more than just Jews, I believe the total killed in the extermination camps was around 20 million including gays, gypsies, Soviet POWs, Poles, etc.

Between 11 million and 17 million, if you include those groups.

Between 11 million and 17 million, if you include those groups.

O.K. so they were about on par, but you can, also, count the casualties which resulted from Hitler's unjustified offensive war. Anyways what are you arguing that the Islamic Imperialists were in fact worse than Hitler? Ya not really helping your case here.

O.K. so they were about on par, but you can, also, count the casualties which resulted from Hitler's unjustified offensive war. Anyways what are you arguing that the Islamic Imperialists were in fact worse than Hitler? Ya not really helping your case here.

What case?

Moving Israel is a totally unattainable goal. It would firstly violate every principle of sovereignty and international law, and secondly you'd never get the Israelis to agree with it. They'd fight the entire world before being forcibly moved somewhere. So instead of arguing pointless arguments, why dont you focus on something that is an actual possibility for peace.

Also I should point out that no American soldier has died for Israel, and that America has never fought on the same side as any wars which Israel has fought. So there aren't millions of soldiers risking their lives for Israel.

Col. David 'Mickey' Marcus died in combat in Israel in 1948 after he retired from the US Army the year before. He is buried at West Point. There was a Kirk Douglas movie made about Marcus, "Cast A Giant Shadow."

Mickey Marcus

the film boasts an incredible cast of the biggest stars of the day. Aside from Mr. Douglas, the cast includes Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Angie Dickinson, Yul Brynner, and Senta Berger. The involvement of Sinatra and Wayne, in cameo roles, can only be seen as personal endorsements of the Jewish state, the prevailing feeling 40 years ago.

A Film They Could Not Make Today - March 17, 2006 - The New York Sun

"Columnists" definitely get to "issue opinion", one would think.
Just not really unpopular opinions.
If they want to do that, they should become radio talk show hosts.

"She is advocating religious cleansing. How can Hearst stand by her? If a journalist, or a columnist, said the same thing about blacks or Hispanics, they would already have lost their jobs."

Ari Fleischer: Fire Helen Thomas

By the way her family is Lebanese.

The woman is 90 years old.
Frankly (and this is where my lack of education and worldliness really show, I'm sure) I don't see anything all that grotesque about her statement.

Israel is a sovereign nation. Suggesting its people dissolve their homeland and return to the place of their persecution is beyond offensive.

It's an opinion. Everybody's got one.
I know less than nothing about the situation over there, but didn't most Israelis move to Israel from Poland and Germany and other European locales after World War Two?
I mean, that's one solution for ending the conflict in the middle east: they could all either move to America or else go back to where they were living up until fifty years ago. it's safe now. Never again would anybody be allowed to systematically persecute them for being Jewish, not in a modern, industrialized nation where equal civil and human rights are the order of the day.

I believe I asked once, a few years ago, why we couldn't just give the Israelis some land mass (a nice one, one of their choosing, not like the Cherokee Nation) equivalent to the size of Israel here in the US.
Everyone was really offended by my idea; nobody really explained why.

The Israeli people love their country, and they have every right to be there.

A better solution would be to stop hamstringing the Israeli military in their fight against Hamas. They are more than capable of protecting their homeland, we just need to let them.

So many people of all nationalities, including many American sons and daughters, have died, are dying, and will continue to die, so that Jews can continue to occupy that particular piece of land.
Why would it be so bad if we ended the bloodshed by giving them an even larger and better one someplace else, where they won't be in constant conflict with their neighbors?

Could you be more specific? How are Americans dying for the Jews in Israel?

Back
Top Bottom