• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Heidi Cruz calls husband 'an immigrant,' campaign staff quickly retracts

:lol: no, we are in the assessments phase. High Impact Low Probability events happen :shrug:

He didn't out-politic the politicians. The other politicians (stupidly) all stayed in the race and (suicidally) all attacked each other until his lead was well-cemented.

Besides which, the media chose him early as the GOP candidate, and gave him more of a boost than they have, perhaps, done for any other primary candidate, ever. :shrug: A conflation of unlikely turns gave us an unlikely result: Donald Trump, likely GOP Candidate for POTUS.

That being said, arguing that Ted Cruz going by his middle name is the equivalent to Donald Trump's numerous and continuous shifts on major policy issues is and remains moronic.

More seriously, I don't really agree with your analysis at all. Bottom line is the contest has a good way of keeping score and Trump simply outperformed a slew of seasoned politicians and their very well paid political consultants. You can blame it on ALL the others in the GOP race being stupid, but that's not much of a defense, really. First of all, we can conclude they ran bad campaigns only because they're losing to Trump. The contest was between Trump and the rest and if they were less effective, it just means Trump was more effective, played this contest far better than they did.

As to the media coverage, they ALWAYS give the winner far more coverage than those trailing and he's been leading the pack nearly from day 1. And part of the job of campaigning is playing to the media and if he did that better, got his name out more effectively, that's a real skill and one he obviously excelled at. You want to deny him credit for winning, and can only do that by saying, basically, you can't stand the guy so it can't be he did anything right but that the other professionals were stupid. It's not very persuasive.

Hillary supporters said the same about Obama when he trounced her, and it was whining then by losers then, same as it is now. Bottom line is I'll never vote for Trump, but I do have to give him credit for running a good campaign so far. How can I not - he's about the clinch the nomination, with pretty much the entire GOP establishment aligned against him.

:shrug: when the information changes, I change my assessment. What do you do?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

What he said:

I don't claim that i was wrong because i used the correct method of analysis.

I'll just add that your use of "black swans" was also inappropriate. It doesn't mean, "political events I didn't anticipate." The idea that the media gave a lot of free airtime to a charismatic, media savvy, TV star who was winning in the polls nearly from day one simply is NOT a "black swan" event.

More seriously, I don't really agree with your analysis at all. Bottom line is the contest has a good way of keeping score and Trump simply outperformed a slew of seasoned politicians and their very well paid political consultants.

Hm. How did he outperform them? I can see one way in which he did so - he was more entertaining, and willing to act like a moron on television.

You can blame it on ALL the others in the GOP race being stupid, but that's not much of a defense, really

I'm not defending the other candidates in the race. They were short-sighted, self-centered, committed strategic errors, and were willing to risk the party and the movement for their own benefit. The Vanity Runs have to stop.

Nor do I blame the victories of Trump ALL on the other GOP candidates being stupid. I also credit the facts that media gave Trump an almost unilateral advantage - $1.9 Billion in Free Media; they did their best to make the race a referendum on Trump v PC/Establishment, because that sold airtime (and because, for left-leaning media, it also reinforced what they believed Republicans to be).

First of all, we can conclude they ran bad campaigns only because they're losing to Trump

No, you can run an effective campaign and lose, just as you can run an incompetent campaign and win.

As to the media coverage, they ALWAYS give the winner far more coverage than those trailing and he's been leading the pack nearly from day 1.

Actually the wall-to-wall media coverage of Trump preceded and helped to drive his rise in the polls.

DJT Media.jpg

And part of the job of campaigning is playing to the media and if he did that better, got his name out more effectively, that's a real skill and one he obviously excelled at.

That is absolutely true. Trump has absolutely mastered stray voltage theory. Aside from his already-high name recognition and long history of reality tv, Trump could upstage the moon landing. He thinks television, drama comes as naturally to him as breathing.

You want to deny him credit for winning, and can only do that by saying, basically, you can't stand the guy so it can't be he did anything right but that the other professionals were stupid.

No, I concur that he won the media. I simply also hold them complicit for that.

he's about the clinch the nomination, with pretty much the entire GOP establishment aligned against him.

Where as the GOP establishment aligned against him? His texting buddy Boehner came out to talk about Cruz being Lucifer, Trump defends McConnel, Paul Ryan came out to give a tepid, deliberately-vague comment about how we all need to watch our tone and be nice to people. The highest GOP leadership I see actively opposing Trump is Senator Graham - and aside from a couple of freshmen Senators (Sasse and Lee), he's alone. Trump got multiple Governor endorsements, a former GOP VP Candidate endorsement, and the donor-side of the Establishment? They gave a big check to Jeb(!) about a year or so ago, and pretty much sat out the race once Trump got in. The #NeverTrump movement isn't GOP Establishment, it's a bunch of conservative writers on twitter and grassroots activists who actually believe in Conservatism.

Last edited:
I'll just add that your use of "black swans" was also inappropriate. It doesn't mean, "political events I didn't anticipate."

That's correct. A Black Swan is an event that is low probability, but likely high impact. When this started, the likelihood of Trump succeeding was extremely low. :shrug: 538 put it at about 2%.

Hm. How did he outperform them? I can see one way in which he did so - he was more entertaining, and willing to act like a moron on television.

I'll just address that - the other way he did it was telling a message that GOP voters clearly want to hear. That you won't admit it is just sour grapes, and some kind of presumption that just because you hate the guy means he couldn't have earned his position by speaking to voters in the most effective way.

When you immigrate to a country, you are an immigrant.

I'll just address that - the other way he did it was telling a message that GOP voters clearly want to hear.

Okedoke. What message did he have that the others didn't, that the GOP voters wanted to hear?

That you won't admit it is just sour grapes, and some kind of presumption that just because you hate the guy means he couldn't have earned his position by speaking to voters in the most effective way.

:shrug: I don't hate the guy. I oppose what he stands for.

That's correct. A Black Swan is an event that is low probability, but likely high impact. When this started, the likelihood of Trump succeeding was extremely low. :shrug: 538 put it at about 2%.

LOL, Trump getting the nomination wasn't one of your "black swans," but good attempt to move the goal posts!

"I didn't anticipate 1) $2bn in free media, nor that 2) large numbers of GOP primary candidates would all stay in, and refuse to attack the front runner."

I've numbered the original goal posts - and those are not "black swans" just events you failed to consider.

LOL, Trump getting the nomination wasn't one of your black swans, but good attempt to move the goal posts!

Yeah, a 2% likelihood coming through in a manner that broke previous assumptions about how political reality worked qualifies as a black swan.

"I didn't anticipate 1) $2bn in free media, nor that 2) large numbers of GOP primary candidates would all stay in, and refuse to attack the front runner.

:shrug: and I didn't. Not sure what point you are trying to make with me stating that I did not anticipate what became key drivers of this primary cycle.

Oh you Heidi; how can you, of all people, be so oblivious to the republican party?

Okedoke. What message did he have that the others didn't, that the GOP voters wanted to hear?

:shrug: I don't hate the guy. I oppose what he stands for.
Really? You've been griping about Trump this whole race but you don't grasp what message he had that the other candidates ignored? It highlights that all this whinging really is just sour grapes, but I'll help you out all the same...

Doing something about illegal immigration, renegotiating our trade deals, and stop fighting wars like a bunch of chumps. Which candidate called out Bush for his bumbling handling of the wars? You may recall that he knocked out JEB! Bush so fast and hard he had to drop out of the race despite his super pac having nearly 100 million dollars.

Ask the thousands showing up for his events and the MAJORITY of GOPers in many states now voting for him. You're hilarious.

I don't hate the guy. I oppose what he stands for.

And that you oppose him doesn't mean that he hasn't done a good job in the only way this matters, which is by attracting the most voters, at least in large part by articulating a message they want to hear. Claiming it's all the "media's" fault is the same bull**** people said about Obama, both times he won, and it's the stuff of sour losers. Bottom line is the GOP and right wing made Trump and are now shocked, shocked I tell you that someone pushing the clearly articulated positions and the dog whistle stuff peddled by right wingers for 20 years now is winning the nomination.

Yeah, a 2% likelihood coming through in a manner that broke previous assumptions about how political reality worked qualifies as a black swan.

:shrug: and I didn't. Not sure what point you are trying to make with me stating that I did not anticipate what became key drivers of this primary cycle.

Since you're desperately trying to move the goal posts, here's the full quote:

I didn't anticipate 1) $2bn in free media, nor that 2) large numbers of GOP primary candidates would all stay in, and refuse to attack the front runner. Not anticipating two simultaneous black swans doesn't make one moronic, it means that one is using rational measurements.

If the simulatanous black swans were not the ones numbered, are we supposed to assume that they are other events you don't mention? LMMFAO. Just admit you were wrong and move on. It's pathetic defending yourself by claiming that the fact you were wrong means you used excellent analysis!

Because you people obviously don't care that the polls that show Clinton curb stomping Trump in the general.

Wasn't all that long ago that the polls were predicting that Rubio, then Christie, then Bush, then Paul were going to curb stomp Trump, and all their supporters as well as Cuuz's, Fiorina's, Carson's, and all the rest of the also-rans were laughing Trump off and claiming that he'd drop out before the first ballot was cast, after New Hampshire, after Super Tuesday.

What none of them understood, and what many still don't get, is that Trump is a force of nature.

Clinton has been safe up to this point because Trump has been busy, to use your phrase, curb stomping the Republican establishment - all comers.

Once he's secured the nomination he'll be free to turn his attention on her and once he does he's going to systematically take her apart.

By the time he's done with her the National Organization of Women and National Council of La Raza will be falling all over themselves to endorse him.

And as far as the "mathematical possibility" that Cruz can still win the nomination - LMMFAO.

The "mathematical possibility" also exist that you can walk through walls.

Good luck with that, on both counts.

I can't stand Ted Cruz. But he's twice the man that Trump is. And to see people going after him for using his Anglicized middle name of Edward/Ted is indicative of how pathetic everything that has to do with Trump is. It's churlish and something I have come to expect from snot nosed Liberals, not people who profess to be supporting the "Republican" candidate for a dignified office. Cruz's father was Rafael and it's not uncommon at all for men who have the same name as their father to go by their middle name. My husband goes by his middle name to differentiate him from his father, and my brother also goes by his middle name to differentiate him from my father. I never knew until I read posts in this thread that it's apparently nefarious to do this.

Really? You've been griping about Trump this whole race but you don't grasp what message he had that the other candidates ignored?

Hm. The issue I see that Trump had that no one else really pushed was.....

...trade protectionism combined with launching suicidally stupid trade wars.

It highlights that all this whinging really is just sour grapes, but I'll help you out all the same...

Doing something about illegal immigration

Actually several of the GOP contenders for POTUS have been fighting to do something about illegal immigration for years, in fact, they were doing it back when Trump was calling for a path to citizenship, attacking Romney from the left on the issue, and telling Dreamers that they'd convinced him. You know. Way, way, way back 24 whole months ago. :roll:

And what does Trump propose to do about illegal immigration? Touchback Amnesty. Which was originally a liberal proposal rejected by Senate Conservatives.

Of course, he won’t call it an amnesty plan. That’s a word that’s taboo when trying to appeal to his crowd. Instead, he screams loudly and proudly that he’ll get them out. “They gotta go,” he’ll say repeatedly to raucous cheers. The other part that they never hear about in rallies or around the watercooler is that he’ll take them and move them to the front of the line in to register for Z visas. In his plan, they would be permanent. In other words, he wants to deport 12 million people, screen them for criminal records, and let the other 11.5 million back in legally in an expedited fashion. This was proposed in the Senate and rejected by conservatives in 2007. The difference is that those Z visas were temporary and it did not include the expediting process that Trump wants.....

renegotiating our trade deals

Again, this wasn't a message that was unique to him - Ted Cruz, for example, is an opponent of the TPP.

and stop fighting wars like a bunch of chumps.

And, again, this isn't an issue that is unique to Trump, but is, in fact, a broadly argued stance of the GOP that other candidates were also pushing.

Last edited:

You're making excuses. Face it, you were wrong about Trump and instead of recognizing that you may have been wrong at every step this election and reevaluating your position you make excuses for why you were wrong and use those excuses to double down - and you're still wrong.

Yes, the neverTrump bull**** was/is indeed started and funded by the establishment GOP.

I can't stand Ted Cruz. But he's twice the man that Trump is. And to see people going after him for using his Anglicized middle name of Edward/Ted is indicative of how pathetic everything that has to do with Trump is. It's churlish and something I have come to expect from snot nosed Liberals, not people who profess to be supporting the "Republican" candidate for a dignified office. Cruz's father was Rafael and it's not uncommon at all for men who have the same name as their father to go by their middle name. My husband goes by his middle name to differentiate him from his father, and my brother also goes by his middle name to differentiate him from my father. I never knew until I read posts in this thread that it's apparently nefarious to do this.

My son is the same way - we share a first name, so he goes by his middle name. Apparently that makes you a sneaky liar, now. :roll:

Worst primary ever.

You're making excuses.

:lol: telling you how I was wrong isn't making excuses. It's admitting what I missed. :)

Face it, you were wrong about Trump and instead of recognizing that you may have been wrong at every step this election and reevaluating your position you make excuses for why you were wrong and use those excuses to double down - and you're still wrong.

No, I was right about Trump - he has continued to be the man that I saw then. Nothing he has done or said has done anything except reinforce my assessment that this man is a liberal authoritarian and a bully, who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near power. I didn't anticipate how he would be treated in the media, or the tragedy of the commons that became the strategy of the other GOP candidates.

Yes, the neverTrump bull**** was/is indeed started and funded by the establishment GOP.

:lol: no. Firstly, many of us were #NeverTrump before there was the name. Secondly, the #NeverTrump movement was started by a conservative blogger on Twitter, and spread from there. Establishment GOP is (slowly) siding with Trump against Ted Cruz.

But please. Tell me how Boehner is grassroots, and county-level conservative activists are somehow the GOPe Elite :)

no. Firstly, many of us were #NeverTrump before there was the name. Secondly, the #NeverTrump movement was started by a conservative blogger on Twitter, and spread from there. Establishment GOP is (slowly) siding with Trump against Ted Cruz.

Bull****.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Trump_movement

And some are coming around now because he, despite their efforts, has won and they know they're going to have to work for him.

But please. Tell me how Boehner is grassroots, and county-level conservative activists are somehow the GOPe Elite :)

Give it a rest. Boehner is retired and took the opportunity to kick a guy he hates when he was down. You'll notice Boehner waited until Lyin Ted was losing for sure before he came calling. Cruz is hated in Washington, but the establishment folks have held their water and didn't attack him as long as he was the "Trump alternative". Now that he's failed at that and going nowhere fast, look to see more of them dumping on Ted.

:lol: this is hilarious. You cite a source that confirms my claims, and dispels yours. :)

And some are coming around now because he, despite their efforts, has won and they know they're going to have to work for him.

:shrug: let it never be said that a large percentage of GOP politicians were feckless, weak-spined, and only loosely actually dedicated to what they claim as their principles, agreed.

Give it a rest. Boehner is retired and took the opportunity to kick a guy he hates when he was down. You'll notice Boehner waited until Lyin Ted was losing for sure before he came calling. Cruz is hated in Washington, but the establishment folks have held their water and didn't attack him as long as he was the "Trump alternative". Now that he's failed at that and going nowhere fast, look to see more of them dumping on Ted.

:lol: The process of the GOPe coming around to Trump started months ago: January 21: GOP establishment warms to Trump — and remains cool toward Cruz

And why wouldn't they? The political recipient class has little to nothing to fear from the political donor class. Trump is the epitome of Crony Capitalism - he's not going to come in and overturn the applecarts he eats from

The reason I say that Trump is a con man is because he is a con man. I can show you the policy positions, the switching, the switching back, etc.

Trying to argue that Cruz going by his middle name is the equivalent of that is moronic.

I sure like all Trump-tards he will use the "but that was yesterday he said that" excuse or some variation of it or say that those liberal positions make Trump a moderate and that we need a moderate.

Back
Top Bottom