• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Heather Nauert likely to be quizzed on her diplomatic resume

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump’s pick to be America’s ambassador at the United Nations is likely to face questions about her thin diplomatic resume during an upcoming Senate confirmation hearing that will shine fresh attention on the president’s “America first” approach to foreign policy.

If confirmed by the Senate, Heather Nauert, a 48-year-old former Fox News Channel reporter, will replace Nikki Haley. Nauert had little foreign policy experience before taking the podium as spokeswoman for the State Department.

Nauert’s confirmation could hinge on her performance at the hearing. Still, she stands a good chance of approval because after the new Congress begins in January, Republicans will have a 53-47 vote majority over Democrats in the Senate.

In announcing his decision on Friday, Trump said Nauert was “very talented, very smart, very quick.” He said he thought she would be “respected by all.”

COMMENT:-

Much as I hate to take even the slightest exception to the golden pearls of wisdom that drool from Mr. Trump's lips, isn't Ms. Nauert the person who held up the D-Day invasion as an example of US/German cooperation?

“When you talk about Germany, we have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany,” Heather Nauert, the State Department’s spokeswoman, said in June. She added: “Looking back in the history books, today is the 71st anniversary of the speech that announced the Marshall Plan. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion. We obviously have a very long history with the government of Germany, and we have a strong relationship with the government.”

It appears that Mr. Trump's definition of "very talented, very smart, very quick" is somewhat different from mine (although I suspect that [from Mr. Trump's point of view] knowing a lot of positions could qualify as "talented", and I suppose that "head" and "smart" might be conflated, and that "quick" could be used as a substitute for "fast".

If she isn't withdrawn prior to the hearings, she'll probably be confirmed along party lines.

If Betsy Devos can be confirmed Secretary of Education then Heather Nauert can be confirmed UN Ambassador. Because **** you.

If she isn't withdrawn prior to the hearings, she'll probably be confirmed along party lines.

Republicans ready to send a Fox News Host with NO experience to represent the United States?...You must be so proud....Only the best

Questioned? Sure. But the answers won't matter. The GOP will rubber stamp her.

Questioned? Sure. But the answers won't matter. The GOP will rubber stamp her.

She'll be going up against UN reps that will run circles around her...She'll be forced to babble some non sense trump tells her to...The Russians, Chinese , Saudis will be very pleased....But she'll look good in heals...I give her 6 months before she is fired

Republicans ready to send a Fox News Host with NO experience to represent the United States?...You must be so proud....Only the best
Unless there is a significant reason for her not to be confirmed, she probably will be. Republicans the to give the President of both parties tgeir nominees without too much fight.

There's nothing about any political nominee to feel proud about. Weird statement to make.

What we'll see is some republican senators say they are concerned about her lack of experience and will seriously review her resume before they vote. And then they will just go ahead and vote for her. And Joe Manchin - the DINO - will join in and vote for her as well. Cos Manchin votes with the republicans about 99.99% of the time.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump’s pick to be America’s ambassador at the United Nations is likely to face questions about her thin diplomatic resume during an upcoming Senate confirmation hearing that will shine fresh attention on the president’s “America first” approach to foreign policy.

If confirmed by the Senate, Heather Nauert, a 48-year-old former Fox News Channel reporter, will replace Nikki Haley. Nauert had little foreign policy experience before taking the podium as spokeswoman for the State Department.

Nauert’s confirmation could hinge on her performance at the hearing. Still, she stands a good chance of approval because after the new Congress begins in January, Republicans will have a 53-47 vote majority over Democrats in the Senate.

In announcing his decision on Friday, Trump said Nauert was “very talented, very smart, very quick.” He said he thought she would be “respected by all.”

Much as I hate to take even the slightest exception to the golden pearls of wisdom that drool from Mr. Trump's lips, isn't Ms. Nauert the person who held up the D-Day invasion as an example of US/German cooperation?

“When you talk about Germany, we have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany,” Heather Nauert, the State Department’s spokeswoman, said in June. She added: “Looking back in the history books, today is the 71st anniversary of the speech that announced the Marshall Plan. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion. We obviously have a very long history with the government of Germany, and we have a strong relationship with the government.”

It appears that Mr. Trump's definition of "very talented, very smart, very quick" is somewhat different from mine (although I suspect that [from Mr. Trump's point of view] knowing a lot of positions could qualify as "talented", and I suppose that "head" and "smart" might be conflated, and that "quick" could be used as a substitute for "fast".

What diplomatic resume?

Unless there is a significant reason for her not to be confirmed, she probably will be. Republicans the to give the President of both parties tgeir nominees without too much fight.

There's nothing about any political nominee to feel proud about. Weird statement to make.

Uh she has ZERO experience in international affairs...That might be one reason to not confirm her...Only the Best

What diplomatic resume?

I understand that the lady has been to BOTH Canada and Mexico, that qualifies her as a world traveller.

Isn't that enough?

Besides, she looks "Hot" in a bikini so what else is important?

Uh she has ZERO experience in international affairs...That might be one reason to not confirm her...Only the Best
Yes, as I said in one of the other threads, I don't think she should be confirmed, but I exoect she will be.

Um, she worked as FOX News reporter. Surely that's all the qualifications anyone would need for any position in the Trump administration?

SIAP. Are you saying not having a diplomatic resume means a candidate can't do the job? Did Haley have a diplomatic resume?

SIAP. Are you saying not having a diplomatic resume means a candidate can't do the job? Did Haley have a diplomatic resume?

Trump has to realize that a majority of diplomats at the UN don't care about the 'hotness' of a female ambassador.

Trump has to realize that a majority of diplomats at the UN don't care about the 'hotness' of a female ambassador.

Wait...you think its about what other people think?

Wait...you think its about what other people think?

I think that is what Trump thinks. Unfortunately, a majority of UN ambassadors are Muslim and don't care about the hotness of a female.

If Betsy Devos can be confirmed Secretary of Education then Heather Nauert can be confirmed UN Ambassador. Because **** you.

Devos has been there a while now. What has she done that is so horrible?

She wants school choice. That irks guys like Cardinal because schools are a bastion of ideology from the left.

If you're a lender then nothing at all. She's made it harder for students to get out of student loans. The counter argument is surely one of people not being responsible, and there is something to that point, but the larger one is of many students being saddled with debt after they graduate and not being spending as much because they have limited funds. This has implications on the economy because they're not spending as much for that reason.

She wants school choice. That irks guys like Cardinal because schools are a bastion of ideology from the left.

Yes she does, but she hasn't addressed the complications of this school choice in rural areas where there's no real benefit because there is no viable choice. She's made her case to Congress, but even a GOP controlled Congress hasn't pushed the agenda.

Yes she does, but she hasn't addressed the complications of this school choice in rural areas where there's no real benefit because there is no viable choice. She's made her case to Congress, but even a GOP controlled Congress hasn't pushed the agenda.

IMO, from a GOP perspective and Trump lover, many things can be blamed on the GOP congress.

Once you understand that "affair" has more than one meaning, and know that she has been outside of the United States of America, you will see that you simply cannot be sure that the statement "She has ZERO experience in international affairs." is correct.

Back
Top Bottom