• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Heat waves, mosquito outbreaks, landslides

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The new normal...

Heat waves that make Chicago feel like Las Vegas. Warming ocean temperatures that displace Maine's lobsters. A year-round spike in disease-carrying mosquitoes in Florida.

Welcome to Man Made Climate Change. Enjoy.

Assembled by scientists and administrators from 13 federal agencies, here are six of the most dramatic findings from the fourth National Climate Assessment:

MIDWEST HEAT WAVES

UNPREDICTABLE RAINFALL

DEVASTATING WILDFIRES

LOBSTER ON THE MOVE

MORE MOSQUITOES

ARCTIC EROSION

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...dslides-6-ways-climate-change-hitting-n940736

That is hardly a list of nothing burgers. But, of course, deniers will deny. Meanwhile the rest of us wonder if any of them will ever wake up.

The new normal...

That is hardly a list of nothing burgers. But, of course, deniers will deny. Meanwhile the rest of us wonder if any of them will ever wake up.

I completely accept that climate change is happening, calamity and all that goes with it. I just do not accept that the solutions proposed by climate change alarmists will do anything to ameliorate climate change, and will do even more to hurt people.

I completely accept that climate change is happening, calamity and all that goes with it. I just do not accept that the solutions proposed by climate change alarmists will do anything to ameliorate climate change, and will do even more to hurt people.

That is not an unreasonable position to take. In fact, I tend to agree and stand right there myself.

Yes, climate is changing. It always has.
Slow and steady wins the race. I am all for doing whatever we can do to not harm the planet, but we can't put the cart before the horse.

The new normal...

Wake up to accept what, exactly, as the (one world?) government imposed 'solution'?

Most have no problem accepting that having too many people on the planet have had, are having and will continue to have an impact (mostly negative) on the planet's environment. Many who are erroneously called "deniers" are those who simply object to a given 'environmental action plan' being proposed - not to the evidence noting the existence of AGW (or climate change') itself.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[h=1]An Assessment of the 4th National Climate Assessment[/h][FONT=&quot]By Andy May The U.S. Fourth National Climate Assessment (NCA4) Volume II is out and generating a lot of discussion. Volume II, Impacts Risks and Adaptation in the United States to climate change can be downloaded here (Reidmiller, et al. 2018). Volume I, published last year, on the physical science behind the assessment is here (Wuebbles, et al. 2017). The mainstream…
[/FONT]

16 hours ago November 28, 2018 in Climate FAIL, Climate News.

[FONT=&quot]National Climate Assessment Report[/FONT]
[h=1]Research From Latest US Climate Report Tied to 2 Major Democratic Donors[/h][FONT=&quot]From The Daily Signal Michael Bastasch / @MikeBastasch / November 26, 2018 / Michael Bastasch @MikeBastasch Michael Bastasch is a reporter for The Daily Caller News Foundation. It’s been repeated throughout the media that global warming could wipe out one-tenth of the U.S. economy by 2100. Now it’s a top-line finding of a major government…
[/FONT]

The new normal...

I live in the Mountain West, and increased Wildfire risk is a big deal here. I would not build a home in the foothills or mountains here. It's not a question "if", but a question "when" it will burn down...

Hurt people?

You need to unpack that as I have never seen even a hint of an intent to hurt anyone.

Look, I don' give a fiddler's **** what you call it, I am not in the debate whether man made or natural (it sure the **** anything "natural" I have seen in 70 years), but I do care that California is burning and we, this far north can smell the ****ing smoke. Here, we have "monster" fires every year now. 40 years ago no one had ever heard of a "crossoever fire" where a wildfire burns down whole towns, now it's fifteen, twenty a year.

Inuits in the north have lost their land. And entire island where they would encamp for summer is gone, several meters under water. North of me, less than an hour's drive there is a logging road and if you know about it will continue when it looks like it ends and you will climb a very steep slope and when the trees clear there is a glacier, 100 meters thick, covering 237 hectares. Or rather there WAS a glacier covering 237 hectares....today it is a small lake with nothing alive in it, as with most melted glaciers the water is heavily saline.

Meanwhile, where we could once have walked any stream in the lower mainland and scooped up Sockeye with our bare hands, there "closed fisheries" now and concerns that salmon are becoming extinct. Imagine that, the world's most prolific fish and food source for hundreds of animals...gone.

So I don't give a rats ass about what Americans THINK. All I know is your country is at least as filthy as ours, but now you won't even talk about measures to try to clean it up.

I live in the Mountain West, and increased Wildfire risk is a big deal here. I would not build a home in the foothills or mountains here. It's not a question "if", but a question "when" it will burn down...

OK, so with or without any climate change there will be a forrest fire one day.

So, just from UK perspective here, why do people have trees within 50 feet of their house and why build it out of wood?

Also where is the pond or swimming pool with a gas powered pump so you can spray water all over the place easily and quickly when the fire is within 1 hour of you?

https://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP65...2&sr=8-45-spons&keywords=gas+pump+water&psc=1

Just askin'.

whew boy- this climate change stuff is getting SCAREY. I heard Al Gore even went a whole hour last summer without air conditioning his mega mansion!

OK, so with or without any climate change there will be a forrest fire one day.

So, just from UK perspective here, why do people have trees within 50 feet of their house and why build it out of wood?

Also where is the pond or swimming pool with a gas powered pump so you can spray water all over the place easily and quickly when the fire is within 1 hour of you?

https://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP65...2&sr=8-45-spons&keywords=gas+pump+water&psc=1

Just askin'.

How ridiculous... Let's see you stay home, and put this out with your swimming pool pump :roll:
Washington_Fire_2017.jpg

How ridiculous... Let's see you stay home, and put this out with your swimming pool pump :roll:
View attachment 67245279

It can be done, and was done.

[h=3]How they survived: Owners of the few homes left ... - Washington Post[/h]
[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/...they...the...homes...wildfires/.../db323782-f34b-11e
[/URL]

2 days ago - Not only was their home saved, but so were adjacent buildings in a ... Even in California, which has the country's most extensive fire risk maps ...

It can be done, and was done.

[h=3]How they survived: Owners of the few homes left ... - Washington Post[/h]
[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/...they...the...homes...wildfires/.../db323782-f34b-11e
[/URL]

2 days ago - Not only was their home saved, but so were adjacent buildings in a ... Even in California, which has the country's most extensive fire risk maps ...

Avoid stacking firewood directly against a house.

There are things you really should not have to tell people.

My late mother lived in Prescott, AZ for thirty years. Every year the Prescott Fire Department provided free brush clearing to any homeowner who asked. She did, every year.

My late mother lived in Prescott, AZ for thirty years. Every year the Prescott Fire Department provided free brush clearing to any homeowner who asked. She did, every year.

I don't see why the state should be responsible but the idea of having trees all around your house and wood for the fire stacked up against the walls with a flamable roof and vents which will allow burning embers to get through in a place that gets forrest fires does seem to be an example of evolution in action.

I don't see why the state should be responsible but the idea of having trees all around your house and wood for the fire stacked up against the walls with a flamable roof and vents which will allow burning embers to get through in a place that gets forrest fires does seem to be an example of evolution in action.

My mother was quite old and the city offered the service.

It shouldn't be by default. I'll venture to guess that someone put it on a ballot measure, and the voters liked the idea and passed it.

I agree - we have made tremendous strides in cutting emissions and continue to do so. Drive between Reno, NV and Salt Lake City, UT and consider that entire area was a sea at one time. Climate change happens and has happened for eons. We have enough smart people around that will help us survive and thrive.

The reason firewood is not stacked against the house is to keep termites from having an easy path....

I don't see why the state should be responsible but the idea of having trees all around your house and wood for the fire stacked uphttps://www.ggweather.com/firestorm/Firewise%20-Oakland-Berkeley%20Hills%20Fire.pdfagainst the walls with a flamable roof and vents which will allow burning embers to get through in a place that gets forrest fires does seem to be an example of evolution in action.
Way back when I was young, I saw a pic of the single remaining house still standing after the Oakland, CA fires. No cedar shakes, no wood etc. on roof or exterior walls like the ones that burned to the ground. Stucco and concrete tiles took care of windblown sparks.
https://www.ggweather.com/firestorm/Firewise -Oakland-Berkeley Hills Fire.pdf

The new normal...

Egods! Global warming will cause seal levels to rise, plants to die, humans to get cancer, husbands to divorce their wives, and republicans to win elections! Planet earth is doomed unless the US government designates more billions of dollars in grants to leftist liberals promoting the idea that humans can change the weather. There is a sucker born every minute.

Avoid stacking firewood directly against a house.

Kind of late in the day for a "First chuckle of the day" dubbing but I certainly did laugh at that one.

It shouldn't be by default. I'll venture to guess that someone put it on a ballot measure, and the voters liked the idea and passed it.

You Americans do seem to have an overload of democracy. Balance in everything.

Back
Top Bottom