• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Heat warning

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Dangerous Heat Indicies This Afternoon

A Heat Advisory Has Been Issued From Noon Today Until 7 PM This
Evening For Portions Of Southern Minnesota. The Advisory Is Along
And South Of A Line From Benson To Anoka. Some Major Cities In
The Heat Advisory Include Fairmont...Albert Lea...Mankato...
Minneapolis...St Paul...Redwood Falls And Willmar.

Dew Points Today Will Rise Into The Lower And Middle 70s. The Dew
Points Coupled With Afternoon Temperatures Peaking From 90 To 95
Will Result In Heat Indices From 100 To 105 Degrees.

The Uncomfortable Heat And Humidity Will Be Flushed Out This
Evening As A Cold Front Moves Through.

It won't be flushed soon enough. :shock:

Anybody thinking about posting "Oh, sure; try 120°, ya whiner!" Yeah, babe. I'll try it the same way you do; in air-conditioned comfort. I don't have AC. I foresee a major siesta in my future.
:boohoo:

I must know how you coped. Also, how old you were. I'm 'only' 52, but the older I get, the less I can handle extreme temps (not to mention the humidity and dew point).

I live with -70° wind chills in the winter. Somebody needs to take the heat, we don't deserve it after what we've been through. </whinge>

I lived in NM for years without AC (115 degrees at times)

I must know how you coped. Also, how old you were. I'm 'only' 52, but the older I get, the less I can handle extreme temps (not to mention the humidity and dew point).

I live with -70° wind chills in the winter. Somebody needs to take the heat, we don't deserve it after what we've been through. </whinge>

What's the humidity going to be?

Drink a lot of water... If your not peeing every 30 mins or so you will be slightly dehydrated..... While not a big deal increases the misery factor....

Will do. I also have a giant plastic container that originally contained cat litter, filled with water and frozen solid to put in front of the fan. Or should it be behind it?

I have a claw foot tub I may take to for some portion of the day.

Humidity is currently 85%.

Will do. I also have a giant plastic container that originally contained cat litter, filled with water and frozen solid to put in front of the fan. Or should it be behind it?

I have a claw foot tub I may take to for some portion of the day.

Humidity is currently 85%.

That sucks, if the humidity is at 85% the ice thing (in front of the fan you want an "evaporative cooling effect") will be minimal...

Find a pool. stay in it.... Days like that (it was 105 hear the other week, we lost power, neighbors were hatin cause I hane a genny)..... I am like a river horse, just sitting up to my nose in a pool, dring in a floatie.

Awe! I remember when I first lost my AC - it was HORRIBLE but now we're all use to it. . . you have to have *constant* and *steady* exposure to get use to it, though. If you live in an area that doesn't normally see such temperatures I imagine you feel like you're in a sauna - and the heat *hurts* your skin when you walk outside (when we moved to Arkansas I was 13 - it felt like that when we stepped out of the truck for the first time - it was very painful). Since adjusting isn't possible when it's infrequent I suggest you *dehumidify* your home.

I have a single AC unit (a portable unit that has a heat-discharge hose going out the window) in the living room and when it's humid I turn on the dehumidifier option - it removes the moisture and that removes the heat, it's actually more efficient at cooling things down than using the unit's "AC" option. (only useful because all the heat generated is piped out the window)

if you lived in the Arid southwest where the air is dry then you could use a swamp cooler (which emits a cool mist) which is nice and efficient - but if it's already humid that present water in the air *must* go. . . it'll make the higher temps in home more comfortable because you won't be swathed in a blanket of sweat.

So - consider that option - look around for dehumidifiers and just use it *every* summer when humidity is over 50 or so.

Other means of staying cool: wrapping your feet with wet washclothes (reduces swelling, too) and even wetting down a t-shirt or cloth around your neck. Of course the usual popcicles and so on (make your own slurpies/iced coffee by churning your beverage in an ice-cream maker - works great!). And eating cold things like cold pasta salad, fruits and veggies. . . And citrus helps your body cope.

Tub will have to suffice. Fair-skinned ginge will add insult to injury by frying to a crisp.

Hope we don't have another blackout. Boo, hatin neighbors!

That sucks, if the humidity is at 85% the ice thing (in front of the fan you want an "evaporative cooling effect") will be minimal...

Find a pool. stay in it.... Days like that (it was 105 hear the other week, we lost power, neighbors were hatin cause I hane a genny)..... I am like a river horse, just sitting up to my nose in a pool, dring in a floatie.

Lots of helpful information, thank you!

I have a tendency to get out of the shower, skip towels and just lie in front of the fan. I work at home so if I blow a day because my brain has left the building, I won't get in trouble. Of course, I still have a good four hours before things are going to start getting tricky here.

Awe! I remember when I first lost my AC - it was HORRIBLE but now we're all use to it. . . you have to have *constant* and *steady* exposure to get use to it, though. If you live in an area that doesn't normally see such temperatures I imagine you feel like you're in a sauna - and the heat *hurts* your skin when you walk outside (when we moved to Arkansas I was 13 - it felt like that when we stepped out of the truck for the first time - it was very painful). Since adjusting isn't possible when it's infrequent I suggest you *dehumidify* your home.

I have a single AC unit (a portable unit that has a heat-discharge hose going out the window) in the living room and when it's humid I turn on the dehumidifier option - it removes the moisture and that removes the heat, it's actually more efficient at cooling things down than using the unit's "AC" option. (only useful because all the heat generated is piped out the window)

if you lived in the Arid southwest where the air is dry then you could use a swamp cooler (which emits a cool mist) which is nice and efficient - but if it's already humid that present water in the air *must* go. . . it'll make the higher temps in home more comfortable because you won't be swathed in a blanket of sweat.

So - consider that option - look around for dehumidifiers and just use it *every* summer when humidity is over 50 or so.

Other means of staying cool: wrapping your feet with wet washclothes (reduces swelling, too) and even wetting down a t-shirt or cloth around your neck. Of course the usual popcicles and so on (make your own slurpies/iced coffee by churning your beverage in an ice-cream maker - works great!). And eating cold things like cold pasta salad, fruits and veggies. . . And citrus helps your body cope.

Tub will have to suffice. Fair-skinned ginge will add insult to injury by frying to a crisp.

Hope we don't have another blackout. Boo, hatin neighbors!

Umbrella-Hat1-S5.95.jpg

KeysSolarRxNanoZincOxide.jpg

pool.jpg

images

Oh yeah - I do the same!
I don't blow-dry my hair - netting me an hour of comfort when the house is over 90. Having circulating air (a lot of it) is very helpful. We use 4 high speed fans in the house - it's noisy as hell - but there's a constant stir of air that prevents stagnation. Air is cooled in the living room, circulated through each of the bedrooms and then is ushered out the bathroom window.

HEY! What's that pic of me doing at the bottom, there??

I'm lucky, I got a fan from my sister-in-law that blows like nobody's business. It's off to my right, I'll probably wind up looking like Gumby in no time. :)

LOL

I read somewhere that physical comfort is psychological - maybe putting up some Xmas decorations will reset your mind a little. LOL

*sends you an e-comb for that wind-swept hair . . . but Gumby had it going on so maybe it'll be a cool new trend starting!*

Christmas music! I've been wanting to listen to Christmas music. :)

LOL

I read somewhere that physical comfort is psychological - maybe putting up some Xmas decorations will reset your mind a little. LOL

*sends you an e-comb for that wind-swept hair . . . but Gumby had it going on so maybe it'll be a cool new trend starting!*

And now:

Discussion...Air Mass Has Become Very To Extremely Unstable Across
The Watch As The E/W Warm Front Has Shifted Nwd. With Approach Of
The Upstream Trough And Wind Max...Thunderstorms Expected To Develop
Rapidly Vicinity Of The Warm Front And Move Ewd. Supercells
Including Possible Tornadoes Are Likely Along With Potential For
Very Strong Damaging Winds. There Is The Potential For A Strong
Tornado Or Two By This Evening.

Dangerous Heat Indicies This Afternoon

A Heat Advisory Has Been Issued From Noon Today Until 7 PM This
Evening For Portions Of Southern Minnesota. The Advisory Is Along
And South Of A Line From Benson To Anoka. Some Major Cities In
The Heat Advisory Include Fairmont...Albert Lea...Mankato...
Minneapolis...St Paul...Redwood Falls And Willmar.

Dew Points Today Will Rise Into The Lower And Middle 70s. The Dew
Points Coupled With Afternoon Temperatures Peaking From 90 To 95
Will Result In Heat Indices From 100 To 105 Degrees.

The Uncomfortable Heat And Humidity Will Be Flushed Out This
Evening As A Cold Front Moves Through.

It won't be flushed soon enough. :shock:

Anybody thinking about posting "Oh, sure; try 120°, ya whiner!" Yeah, babe. I'll try it the same way you do; in air-conditioned comfort. I don't have AC. I foresee a major siesta in my future.
:boohoo:

Ha! That's normal for summer here.
Just had to get that out. :2razz:

Not sure about the advice part, we have an A/C here and I'm used to high temps inside.
Drink lots of ice water and sit in front of a fan, probably a good idea to open your windows.
About the best you can do.

In Georgia it's been in the high 90's everyday in July, and the heat index in the hundreds everyday. Its normal down here, doesn't make it suck less though.

/me gnaws at your ankle in retaliation *not real tall. Also, prostrate in heat helps* <speaking of prostates ;)> *When I was little, my parents were hysterical with laughter as I proudly sang "Let angels prostates fall"* ::dad's in medicine:: ~Ooh, shiny!!!~

.................... ****, where was I?

OH! No open windows. Only ovenight, then it cools the place down. then windows closed and covered, cool stays in. I have ten foot ceilings and am on first floor of a big old brick building so actually, yesterday wasn't near as traumatic as it could have been.

Ha! That's normal for summer here.
Just had to get that out. :2razz:

Not sure about the advice part, we have an A/C here and I'm used to high temps inside.
Drink lots of ice water and sit in front of a fan, probably a good idea to open your windows.
About the best you can do.

I don't know if I would ever adjust to major extremes in weather. The closest I get is I am much more okay with extreme cold than heat, as long as I can take measures to combat it (dress appropriately, etc). You can always put on more layers of cloth, where cold is concerned. But if you take too many off, they arrest you.

In Georgia it's been in the high 90's everyday in July, and the heat index in the hundreds everyday. Its normal down here, doesn't make it suck less though.

Kids, it's not the humidity per se, it's the dew point. IMO anything over a dew point of 65 with temps over 80 is sickening. We had a heat wave a few weeks ago with temps around 95, and a dew point of 77. :shock: There wasn't even any relief at the beach (forget the lake).

BD I feel for ya. Go to the movies or to the mall and get thee into some a/c for a few hours. You have to cool down your body.

I played in a tub full of bordering on cold water and sang the theme for Flipper.

I love my tub. It makes my bewbies buoyant.

Kids, it's not the humidity per se, it's the dew point. IMO anything over a dew point of 65 with temps over 80 is sickening. We had a heat wave a few weeks ago with temps around 95, and a dew point of 77. :shock: There wasn't even any relief at the beach (forget the lake).

BD I feel for ya. Go to the movies or to the mall and get thee into some a/c for a few hours. You have to cool down your body.

Back
Top Bottom