• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hearing on Arizona immigration law begins

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Based on this story, it looks like Holder, the DOJ and the administration are well on their way to getting laughed out of court... as well they should for trying to play politics with this issue, rather than doing their jobs.

Hearing on Arizona immigration law begins
By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 23, 2010

PHOENIX -- A federal judge pushed back Thursday against a contention by the Obama Justice Department that a tough new Arizona immigration law set to take effect next week would cause "irreparable harm" and intrude into federal immigration enforcement.

"Why can't Arizona be as inhospitable as they wish to people who have entered or remained in the United States?" U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton asked in a pointed exchange with Deputy Solicitor General Edwin S. Kneedler. Her comment came during a rare federal court hearing in the Justice Department's lawsuit against Arizona and Gov. Jan Brewer (R).

Bolton, a Democratic appointee, also questioned a core part of the Justice Department's argument that she should declare the law unconstitutional: that it is "preempted" by federal law because immigration enforcement is an exclusive federal prerogative.

"How is there a preemption issue?" the judge asked. "I understand there may be other issues, but you're arguing preemption. Where is the preemption if everybody who is arrested for some crime has their immigration status checked?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/22/AR2010072201548.html?hpid=topnews

It's good that a federal judge is affirming states rights. It's just amazing at how fast the court system moves when it's the president and his minions suing. Cases usually take a long time to be actually heard.

Many of us in Arizona are a bit confused on why Obama has taken us to court. They should be helping us instead of blocking efforts to stop illegals from entering the country. IMO, those that support SB1070 have no problems with legal immigration. Its the illegal entry that is the issue. They have also taken us to court over a law passed in 2007 (employer sanctions). I thought Obama wanted those hiring illegals held accountable. Guess when a State does it, it is wrong.

Many of us in Arizona are a bit confused on why Obama has taken us to court. They should be helping us instead of blocking efforts to stop illegals from entering the country. IMO, those that support SB1070 have no problems with legal immigration. Its the illegal entry that is the issue. They have also taken us to court over a law passed in 2007 (employer sanctions). I thought Obama wanted those hiring illegals held accountable. Guess when a State does it, it is wrong.

The reason this administration is suing is simple..... they are hoping for the crisis to worsen so they can gain support to add the 20 million illegal aliens to their voter base.

Keeping my fingers crossed. It'll be a sad day if it's found to be uncontitutional for a Governor to protect her state.

California needs to adopt a law like this.

Keeping my fingers crossed. It'll be a sad day if it's found to be uncontitutional for a Governor to protect her state.

It's already a sad day, because the administration sued in the first place.

It's just another chunk of America being tossed in the garbage by this pathetic excuse for an administration.

The reason this administration is suing is simple..... they are hoping for the crisis to worsen so they can gain support to add the 20 million illegal aliens to their voter base.

I agree.Its hard for the pro-illegals in office to push for amnesty, it would be even a lot harder to push for amnesty when states can simply just do what Arizona has done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom