• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

HEALTHCARE IS ALL ABOUT WHO PAYS FOR WHAT

Great. Tell me how a person knows what's the "right amount?" Well for 10s of thousands of years our finely tuned hormones did an awesome job of that. And when we ate a little less than needed, our bodies turned to stored fat as fuel - effortlessly. When we ate a bit more than needed, our metabolism ramped up a little and burned it off, or put some on storage. Normal weight took no effort, no thought, just eating when hungry, until full.

A thousand years ago a person couldn't hunter/gather 5,000 calories a day without burning any calories. You keep missing the point where people are eating massive amounts of high calorie low nutrition crap because they enjoy it and it is easy but then also don't work out at all.

Now flood your system with insulin - a permanent state of affairs for a diabetic on a typical diet of half the calories from carbs or more - and your body CANNOT access stored fat. So you eat less at breakfast, and it runs out of glucose in your blood, and so your body screams at you to eat more glucose because it cannot access fat stores and needs fuel NOW. If you don't eat you get light headed, dizzy, cannot think, are irritable, weak, if it goes too low, it's a medical emergency. That's the life of a diabetic. That has nothing to do with "easy, comfortable, convenient" but ignoring your body telling you it's in a crisis state, so eat now, and so they do.

You ignore the part where on how that person became a T2 diabetic in the first place, but hey, that's life. Eat better. Stop eating pure sugary diets. If you can't figure that out, its darwinian.

Cool, so your 'advise' is to tell half the country to **** off and die. Good plan. Write your Congressman.

I call it "accountability", while you want the Nanny-State to hold everyone's hand and explain every nuance in life to them and give them a scape goat.

Look, go do Heroin, play in traffic, swim with the sharks, and live on Twinkies and Mountain Dew. I don't care so long as you don't interfere with society. If people want to kill themselves either quickly or slowly, great, do that.

The simple fact is the resources and information is out there for people who want help. That doesn't mean you get a nanny, someone to prepare your meals, provide your meals, or anything else. It means you have to do the work to balance your diet and manage your body weight. If you don't, pound sand and die quietly in the corner.[/QUOTE]

Bad analogy. There are immeasurable market forces beyond the control of any business.
Yes, and if I'm completely ignorant about how businesses actually run, in the real world, I can then wave those away as irrelevant to the obvious utility and TRUTH of my advice.
With an individual it is quite literally calories in < calories out = weight loss. There will be metabolic changes and variations, but as a whole that answer stands.
With a business, it's quite literally cash out < cash in ==> profit. Works every time it's tried, without fail. It's a mystery why any business fails. The only explanation is the business owner is a lazy, undisciplined, stupid moron. No one needs anyone to tell them how to run a business, to hold their hand, treat them like children. Just keep expenses less than costs, and they'll be profitable every time. My business hasn't failed, so everyone's business should succeed. Do as I do, which is keep cash out less than my cash in. It's simple. Q.E.D.

When you understand why that's idiotic and reveals a near complete ignorance of the actual issues facing a business, you'll know EXACTLY how your posts on diets and weight loss sound.

A thousand years ago a person couldn't hunter/gather 5,000 calories a day without burning any calories. You keep missing the point where people are eating massive amounts of high calorie low nutrition crap because they enjoy it and it is easy but then also don't work out at all.

You ignore the part where on how that person became a T2 diabetic in the first place, but hey, that's life. Eat better. Stop eating pure sugary diets. If you can't figure that out, its darwinian.

I call it "accountability", while you want the Nanny-State to hold everyone's hand and explain every nuance in life to them and give them a scape goat.

Look, go do Heroin, play in traffic, swim with the sharks, and live on Twinkies and Mountain Dew. I don't care so long as you don't interfere with society. If people want to kill themselves either quickly or slowly, great, do that.

The simple fact is the resources and information is out there for people who want help. That doesn't mean you get a nanny, someone to prepare your meals, provide your meals, or anything else. It means you have to do the work to balance your diet and manage your body weight. If you don't, pound sand and die quietly in the corner.
Right, I get it. **** off and die. Write your Congressman. Start a movement.

With a business, it's quite literally cash out < cash in ==> profit.

Erm, yea, that is correct.

Your revenue in excess of your expensees is profit. Now you're getting it.

Right, I get it. **** off and die. Write your Congressman. Start a movement.

I won't have to honesetly, it is the path that always happens in government run healthcare.

You think the NHS or Canadian Medicare aren't doing this sort of analysis? In systems such as those people who are in poor health don't get approved for expensive treatments, ie: the government just writes them off. We don't have the money to keep providing the care people in this country have come to expect.

Erm, yea, that is correct.
Yeah, and stating the obvious, CICO, is just as idiotic as business advice as CICO is for weight loss. Now YOU are getting it. The only people claiming businesses just need to keep cash out higher than cash out, and pretend that's worth hearing as a business strategy, are the same morons who believe weight loss is as easy as CICO.

But, hey, if you want to tell your hospital CEO or board that every check the company writes is a voluntary act and all he needs to turn that dog around is to cut checks worth fewer dollars than the hospital collects, you do you. If you can get paid a fat fee for that "advice" more power to you.

I won't have to honesetly, it is the path that always happens in government run healthcare.

You think the NHS or Canadian Medicare aren't doing this sort of analysis? In systems such as those people who are in poor health don't get approved for expensive treatments, ie: the government just writes them off. We don't have the money to keep providing the care people in this country have come to expect.
I'm guessing what you know about healthcare in foreign countries is about what you know about physiology and nutrition, which is nearly nothing.

We know why, you are already illuminated that point, it's hard.
I've described the reasons why traditional CICO "advise" fails. You've ignored that, dismissed those theories that you do not understand with a hand wave, and so there's no point repeating them.
There are tons of studies on obesity via NIH etc. Guess what, all the same thing. There really isn't all that much to it.
I don't know what "all the same thing" means. Cite one of those studies so I can read them.
You don't see pfizer paying people to not fix obesity, or hospitals, or anyone else.
I didn't claim that. What I claimed is Pfizer has no incentive to do so, because they make money selling drugs to treat the dozen or so chronic conditions associated with obesity and T2D. If we could wave a wand and cure obesity tomorrow, that's a disaster for the drug industry long term. The revenue from insulin alone per year is something like $50 billion, and almost all of that is for T2D.
Hell, there are tons of insurer programs incenting physicians to reduce obesity, they still can't do it.
If there are tons of these programs, cite one.
Jesus christ, it's always someone else's fault. Patients can get referrals to nutritionists and a variety of other people to help. The problem is they are not going to hand hold and police the patient, they can't, so the patient fails over and over. Meanwhile, look at the people who are disciplined and truly change they can do it. You don't see fatties in the military, do you? You know why? Mandatory PT, fitness tests, in a word... discipline.
Other than the 17% who are obese, that's a good point. The same study shows that for those in the military over age 35, about 25% are obese. It's always nice when posters show their ignorance about a topic so convincingly. And those stats are a little misleading because someone obese cannot enlist, and the military will often discharge those who become obese while in the service, so the denominator is not a fair comparison between the military and the overall public. What's clear is there are lots of "fatties" in the military and the numbers are growing.
It is there because the demand is there. There is also healthy food there as well, but no one wants that crap, amiright?
Yeah, sure, the demand is there. What is healthy food? Is it a fat free bowl of oatmeal with a banana and orange juice that skyrockets blood sugar for a diabetic, requiring a bunch of insulin, then a crash later, requiring a bagel two hours later, or else the plummeting blood glucose puts the patients at risk of a serious medical emergency? That's what a standard "nutritionist" will tell the obese patients.
Yea, they are, stop shoveling shit into your gullet. Walk. Exercise. It ain't hard. It is people like you excusing POS monstrously obese people from their failings. This country needs shame as a tool again. Shame when you are in trouble with the law. Shame when you can't control yourself. Shame when you can't support yourself. Now, any of these things are someone else's fault. Every.damned.time.
The only thing "shame" does is make people like you feel better.

Oh and lunch is fries and a corn dog and if you want something to drink you can find energy drinks and soda in the vending machines..

That’s wrong. The products followed the low fat, high carb, sugar is fine official FDA dietary guidelines that control that school lunch, the one that said the core of a healthy diet was highly refined wheat, breads, pastas. That was THE standard for doctors and dieticians. The food pyramid.
No actually its not fine. The food pyramid does not treat all carbs the same. "sweets".. I.e. processed sugar like a soft drink would be at the top of the pyramid while complex carbohydrates would be at the bottom.
The study you cited treats calories from sugar, or cake, or a bagel, the same as that from broccoli or sweet potatoes or squash. That's one reason of several it's garbage, and I pointed this out. Now you tell me the source of carbs does matter. Tell that to that research team - they didn't think it was worth caring.
Whoa there cowboy... They studied 24 thousand people. IF carbohydrates were the problem.. as you claim. Then they should have found that those that ate the most carbohydrates as a percentage died sooner. BUT they did not. they found that those that had lower carbohydrate diets died sooner.
For the study.. they didn;t need to treat the type of calories differently.
And you keep missing the bigger point because I don't think you understand the theory of low carb. Yeah, to the nutritionist, soda is bad because the calories are 'empty' or whatever. That's one issue, but soda also is bad, under low carb theories, because of the fructose, which contributes to NAFLD, and that impairs insulin sensitivity.
Which nutritionists know.
So that fruit box we give kids is as bad or worse than soda, even though the apple juice is full of those vitamins... Etc. Then they wonder - gosh, why do we see NAFLD in kids now?
Well.. no.. come now. You are arguing that a juice box is going to give you NAFLD? OR a SODA? Come now. No nutritionist is arguing that your kids should be getting the majority of calories from a juice box. What a nutritionist would say is that if you want to give your child a sweet snack as a treat? How about a juice box rather than a soda.
Something something calories... Mystery!! Here's a juice box.
Naw.
Carbs spike insulin and high insulin impairs your ability to access stored fat, so under LCHF we avoid carbs to make that access easy, and so if I skip a meal my body easily converts to body fat as fuel, and so without triggering hunger, etc.
Yeah.. not quite. Fats burn in the flame of carbohydrates. If you don;t have enough carbohydrates aboard then your fat burning will be impaired.
To the standard nutritionist, none of that matters. Cut calories however you want, and you'll be fine...
Nope.. thats simply not true. Frankly.. you are not in a position to know a lot of nutrionists. While I on the other hand deal with them on an almost daily basis.
Right. But what matters for weight is if I burn 2000 calories per day whether I can be satisfied eating 2000 calories or not. It's easier to eat and less satisfying to consume 2,000 in refined carbs than meat, eggs, butter, nuts.
Sure. any nutrionist would agree. However, you still need to have an adequate number of carbs and less refined and more complex carbohydrates.
The latter signal satiety hormones, tuned over millions of years to tell us when to eat, and how much. The former doesn't. That's what matters.
Yeah.. if you think about that.. it makes no sense. Our bodies crave carbohydrates for a reason. We love sugary tastes and for a reason. And thats because our bodies crave calories and things with a sugary taste in nature are generally packed with calories. In nature, generally more calories means a greater chance of survival.

Death panels again? Still crapulent propaganda.

Stop resurrecting long dead threads. Especially to say stupid things.

Back
Top Bottom